U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2008, 06:28 PM

40 posts, read 134,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibeg4sushi View Post
SOrry folks, I have to vent, hopefully to dissuade anyone from moving to this place. Since this whole rain mess started, it's now taking me 2.5 hours to drive to school and back (each friggin way) and that's when there are no traffic accidents. I'm considering even leaving my college at this point and pursuing Massage Therapy simply because I can get to it easier. This is ridiculous!!!

And the road rage here seems non-ending. *sigh*

So, when you think of development, think of northern Virginina. When you think of really bad traffic jams, overpriced..everything, think of NOVA!

Think "McMansion" with zero lot line and being house poor and never getting to spend any time in it. Just stay away!

Sorry to sound so depressing, but that's really what it's like out here. It's hard enough to do the supermom thing (work, school, kids, cooking, etc) but this is just ridiculous. Avoid this area if you have the choice!

~ Angela
The bulk of the complaints you make are driving related, here are my suggestions:

1. Use METRO/VRE or other ways to get around.
2. Move to a smaller city

When you move to a huge, expanding place like Metro DC you should expect traffic, like every other major city in the US. As a student you can reschedule your classes to avoid rush hour if you don't want to lose the car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2008, 06:31 PM

1,261 posts, read 5,051,567 times
Thinks I want to start a thread titled "So sick of those who are sick of DC".

One word... MOVE.

Old 09-16-2008, 09:19 PM

367 posts, read 1,177,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HEATHER72 View Post
Thinks I want to start a thread titled "So sick of those who are sick of DC".

One word... MOVE.
Totally agree! Why don't they just move?

Obviously traffic is what makes most people hate the DC area. I also notice that most of the people that hate DC are the small town lovers. You see the same posters over and over again in the hate DC threads.

Old 09-16-2008, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
The Bay Area has none of that?!???

NOVA is pretty much like most places. In that way its as All American as you can get.
All American as you can get?? Haaahaahaa. What a lie! Nova has a lot of diversity. That's one of the reason some posters hate Nova. Those "hate Nova" posters want to move away from Nova to get away from all of the foreigners.

Old 09-17-2008, 09:05 AM

20,900 posts, read 39,174,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibeg4sushi View Post
UPDATE on ME:

I moved out of the DC/NOVA area and by GOD it was the best decision I made for me and my family. We are all so much better off for it. Even our dog doesn't bark at people anymore - what the heck is that about?! It's weird, but in our case, it was the right decision to leave and leave we did. I don't even want to visit...or pass through even! LOL We are saving hundred$ of dollar$ in gas money. Hubby now loves his 3.2 mile commute in another state and he's making more money here doing exactly the same work for the same company.

So here's the moral of the story people, and listen closely: If your job doesn't make it absolutely *imperative* for you to be in the DC area, do yourself and your family a favor and look elsewhere, thoroughly, before you think of going to this area. You will add years to your life by avoiding it and all the stress it will inevitably yield into you.

On a more positive note, I have to say I have never met a nicer group of people than the Mormons/LDS in the NoVA area. Fantastic folks! If you're Mormon, you will at least have a fabulous support network. Good luck to everyone. I mean it!
Sushi: Agree all the way. Moving out of NoVa was also the best thing we ever did too. Glad to hear you're as happy in NC as we are in Colorado Springs. You started this thread over 2 years ago, and my posting was #2 right after it. I've had a number of people from the DC region, and other states like FL, tell me that coming to CO was the best deal of their lives. After 3 years in COL SPGS we are so glad to be out of NoVA and its awful traffic, snarling people, high prices and the disgust of knowing that we'd never see the metro extended out to Dulles in our lifetimes.

Old 09-17-2008, 05:57 PM

4,711 posts, read 10,891,978 times
I can understand people not liking NOVA and moving away.

What I will NEVER understand is folks that hated NOVA and moved away.....yet continue, some for years, to participate in this NOVA forum!

Remember that one guy that left 20 YEARS ago and recently asked us if "NOVA still sucks? The poor guy must have really been traumatized is all I got to say!

Good heavens, former NOVAites....GET OVER IT! Enjoy your new environs and forget about this God forsaken place already!!!!!

Old 09-17-2008, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
I can understand people not liking NOVA and moving away.

What I will NEVER understand is folks that hated NOVA and moved away.....yet continue, some for years, to participate in this NOVA forum!

Remember that one guy that left 20 YEARS ago and recently asked us if "NOVA still sucks? The poor guy must have really been traumatized is all I got to say!

Good heavens, former NOVAites....GET OVER IT! Enjoy your new environs and forget about this God forsaken place already!!!!!
LOL!! I remember that guy who left 20 years ago and posted the does Nova still suck thread. haaaahaahaha.

I guess Nova makes a big impact to everyone's life - whether it's a bad impact or a good impact. But that's what you call impact when someone 20 years later comes back with a post like that.

Old 09-17-2008, 08:01 PM

1,220 posts, read 3,391,149 times
Hey, Nova will always be my home and in my heart. There is good and bad everywhere. Attitude is everything. I mean Tampa has good and bad, Nova has good and bad, life has good and bad, Sincerely, the humorous philosopher

Old 09-17-2008, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasputin_driver View Post
well, for the road rage, you guys in america could try getting some FSKIN public transportation, even the places here tht have it, it is terrible, i know its a massive country and you need a car in this country, but for FSK sake, get some more trains and buses. I got trapped in Warrenton for a week cus you need a car there or bucket of money for the taxi driver to get the h3ll outta these 7th heaven wannabe places.... sorry, i just had to vent too... apologies
Right on! I am a strange breed. I have NEVER had a car or driven and always walk and take public transportation. You can get anywhere on PT if you want to. Nova has great PT. Warrenton is bad, because its so far out, but otherwise the Metro is great. Its so much less stressful and expensive. I also keep fit walking. I lost over 20 pounds. I love to read, so I read on the bus and if its too noisy, I take notes for my writers journal about the weird people on the bus and the conversations. People drive way to much and its worse in Tampa. I have yet to see a person walking anywhere or for excercise or otherwise, except me. I get honked at and people try to give me a ride! I tell them I am walking because I enjoy being slim and I hate cars. Tampa's PT is not so bad. I only get in a car if its a taxi for a ride to the hospital or maybe airport. People are so lazy! There would be less obesity if people walked. I will say that a lot of people walk in Nova and there are great streets and roads. Tampa is bad, but St. Pete has great trails and sidewalks.

Last edited by Artsywoman; 09-17-2008 at 08:11 PM.. Reason: misspelling

Old 09-17-2008, 08:15 PM

Angry Haters

You are right. I have a neighbor downstairs whe tells me how much he hates Tampa and its too hot, too buggy, awful blah, blah. The question is, why don't you move?? There is no good excuse for being unhappy, life is a choice, signed Dr. Morgan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or