Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2013, 10:27 AM

1,558 posts, read 3,857,446 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern435 View Post
Must say that I'm genuinely surprised that CAVA1990 came up with a list of less-than-wonderful features of NoVA. Did not expect to see that this morning!

For the record, I wake up each morning in Maine quite content and happy here. It is gorgeous, charming, walkable, and peaceful. I feel safer in Maine.
I will be waking up in Vermont soon. Have a few months more to go! It's not quite walkable where I will be....but peaceful, YES!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2013, 10:35 AM

1,077 posts, read 1,785,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airjay75 View Post
I think that is definitely true. Probably the more prevalent reason (and I am totally speculating) for people disliking NoVA is the fact that they move here from other parts of the country where they haven't had to deal with a large, metropolitan area and all of the disadvantages that come along with living in a large metro area (traffic, commuting, expensive and older housing stock, etc.). Prior to moving to NoVA, I lived in the Philadelphia area, the SF Bay Area, and San Diego. All three are large metro areas that have many of the same disadvantages that exist in NoVA, so, for me, I'm not really dealing with much that is new here. Sure, there are some variances. Weather/outdoor activities were way better in CA but housing was generally more expensive and traffic was just as bad if not worse. Philadelphia was a little cheaper, but weather was slightly worse, and traffic/commuting was no walk in the park there either - transit system was much worse in my opinion.

That said, before those places, I lived in smaller cities in Ohio, Illinois, and Montana. If I had come straight to NoVA before living in CA and Philly, I would probably have a lot different perspective about NoVA. For me, the more places I live, the more I realize that every place has its pluses and minuses, and that your surroundings only have a marginal effect on your happiness. Whatever sources of happiness or pain you have on a personal level tend to follow you no matter where you live. I'm not saying one's location does not have some effect on their perspective about life - it surely does, but not as much as many people think, at least not in my experience.

Is NoVA the place I would choose if I could have my same job, but work anywhere? No, probably not. Is it a place that has a lot to offer and that I think one can make their home and be happy? Well, I've only lived here 6 months so far, but I see no reason not to answer a strong yes.
Just want to add - in no way am I trying to tell anyone in their own particular situation who is unhappy somewhere that you should just suck it up and deal with it because you can be happy anywhere. I realize people may be living somewhere in a situation that just doesn't work for them, and moving somewhere else may be the best solution for them. I'm really just intending to share my own personal experiences. If it's helpful, great, if not, please feel more than free to ignore.

Old 02-07-2013, 12:20 PM

1,403 posts, read 2,150,902 times
Quote:
IndiaLimaDelta, I apologize for being rude in answering what probably was a sincere question from you.
I appreciate the apology. And, yes, the question was a sincere one.
Quote:
If you are very happy and content, why do you post so frequently from 11 pm to 1 am? If CAVA works from home, why does he post on so many different forums ALL DAY? If so many people in NoVA work during the day, why do they seem to be posting while they are at work? I don't work outside the home, and they post far more than me!
I do wonder about the posting habits of some folks on this forum as well. But this is momentary and passes in a second or two.

As for me, I am often up late because I watch overseas markets. And I typically sleep about 5-6 hours a night. I cannot answer for others here.
Quote:
Seems that if I had to live there for 6 years as a military spouse (trust me, that is a lonely position in the DC region/bases are usually easier to make new friends), my experiences are just as valid as the ones who brag about rising home values, job security, Daddy's real estate investments in Annandale , NoVA as the only truly diverse and educated region of the nation, etc.
I don't think anyone is suggesting that your experience is invalid. I certainly am not.

I have several family members and friends in the military. My cousin, who is a naval officer, and his family recently moved from here to elsewhere and they were VERY UNHAPPY about the move as they really enjoyed this area. I don't think it's uniformly the case that members of the military or their spouses are unhappy in this region.
Quote:
Yes, the NoVA/FCPS experience was pretty bad for me. I would like to write about it but wonder if I'd be sued by anyone who thinks they might be the ones described in the book.
I certainly encourage you to write a post or start a thread about specific things that made life difficult for you here and what would have made things different for you. I think that would be more helpful than "I hated NoVA and now where I am is just so much better" type of post which only gives us an insight about your emotion rather than the facts and circumstances of what made life in NoVA unappealing.

I don't think the area is heaven on earth, but on balance I think the positives outweigh the negatives for my family and me here and I appreciate that the situation may not be the same for others.

Old 02-10-2013, 10:22 AM

27,564 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbncoold View Post
@Angela, you are absolutely right. Years ago, I lived in freaking Detroit and made a third of what I make now, but my life then was so much better than my life now in NOVA. I hate this place and hope to leave as soon as possible and never ever come back here.
There you have it folks. Life is better in Detroit than it is in DC.

Old 02-10-2013, 10:48 AM

189 posts, read 362,372 times
Too many transplants have ruined the area. There is absolutely no local culture/ vibe.

Old 02-10-2013, 10:50 AM

189 posts, read 362,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
There you have it folks. Life is better in Detroit than it is in DC.
They may not have that much money since the do not have the luxury of having an unending stream of tax dollars showered on them, but the people up there are far nicer.

Old 02-10-2013, 10:50 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,898,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by govmoneynvegas View Post
What do you do for a living?
Big 4 Accountant. From firing off that one e-mail to moving to Oregon it took 2 1/2 months You can go wherever and whenever you like, as long as you're still willing to work those long hours.

Old 02-10-2013, 10:52 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,898,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMUAlum08 View Post
Yea I remember you talking about heading west. Glad you are liking it out there
Thanks, GMUAlum.

Old 02-10-2013, 11:17 AM

2,380 posts, read 4,516,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaijin_samurai View Post
Too many transplants have ruined the area. There is absolutely no local culture/ vibe.
Please stop blaming newcomers for all the problems in the area.

My family goes back 150+ years in Virginia, so I feel qualified to complain about you saying these things.

Old 02-10-2013, 11:33 AM

9,779 posts, read 15,790,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Big 4 Accountant. From firing off that one e-mail to moving to Oregon it took 2 1/2 months You can go wherever and whenever you like, as long as you're still willing to work those long hours.
Gosh, it's the "Big 4" now? I remember when it was the "Big 8." I think I am officially old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: