U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 11:44 AM

8,555 posts, read 12,615,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
The irony here is that the OP in this thread was apparently able to get out of the area and move to North Carolina and has since defended the Research Triange area when people started "SO SICK of the Triad area!!!"-type threads. And so the cycle repeats itself!
Just a quick correction. The Research Triangle area is Raleigh, Durham, and Chapel Hill. The Triad, where the OP lives, is Greensboro, Winston-Salem, and High Point.

And to support the idea that it's different strokes for different folks - I cannot stand Greensboro. My mother-in-law lives there, and I find very little redeeming about the place. The downtown city is tiny. The rest of the "city" is sprawl - you have to drive EVERYWHERE. Run-down areas abut nice neighborhoods. Most of the schools are ranked fairly low. You are 4+ hours from the beach. Yet, my husband liked living there, and my MIL does, too as does the OP. I would be very unhappy living there.

Everyone has different priorities and like/dislikes. Small town versus big city? Nature versus man-made entertainment? Near the beach or the mountains? Hot climate or cold? Care about schools or don't care? I don't think there's anything wrong with one complaining about where he lives. Not every place is a good fit for every person. Of course, if you are stuck somewhere, you should try to make the best of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2013, 08:28 AM

2,980 posts, read 3,712,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Big 4 Accountant. From firing off that one e-mail to moving to Oregon it took 2 1/2 months You can go wherever and whenever you like, as long as you're still willing to work those long hours.
Nice, I'm an accountant too (getting ready to start taking the CPA) and its nice knowing there are opportunities for work pretty much anywhere in the country. I don't work in public accounting though

Old 02-12-2013, 09:55 PM

3,504 posts, read 7,916,981 times
I feel the same way - looks like the OP escaped to NC - good for her! We are still trying to get out of here -

Old 02-13-2013, 02:55 AM

1,534 posts, read 3,314,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfax Mom View Post
We are still trying to get out of here -
Good luck! I hope you are able to "get out of here" quickly.

Old 02-13-2013, 04:05 AM

14,131 posts, read 27,010,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfax Mom View Post
I feel the same way - looks like the OP escaped to NC - good for her! We are still trying to get out of here -
What's stopping you?

Old 02-13-2013, 07:57 AM

1,051 posts, read 2,077,556 times
I really don't mind the DC area and traffic. Yeah, rent and home prices are through the roof, but that is what I've been used to all my life. I was looking at apartments in Leesburg area and they are less than what I'm paying now. If I ever had to relocate, it would probably be to Leesburg or somewhere out that way - away from the congestion of immediate DC area.

My commute is about 10 miles, and it takes me roughly 30-40 minutes to get to work. Then again, I'm doing a reverse commute. When I lived in Philadelphia it was just as bad, it would take me the same amount of time. So I am used to it since I also come from a very congested urban area. I can definitely understand the distaste, so I'm not knocking it It's not for everybody.

Old 02-13-2013, 11:26 AM

486 posts, read 735,318 times
I Love NORTHERN VIRGINIA but honestly they have the worst traffic in the World......Maryland traffic isn't even that bad compare to NOVA......I'm sorry just being honest

Old 02-13-2013, 01:23 PM

1,403 posts, read 1,847,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMaryland455 View Post
I Love NORTHERN VIRGINIA but honestly they have the worst traffic in the World......Maryland traffic isn't even that bad compare to NOVA......I'm sorry just being honest
Rats, NoVA didn't make it to either of the lists:

Top 5 Worst Traffic Cities in the World

BBC News - 10 monster traffic jams from around the world

Old 02-13-2013, 04:21 PM

8,555 posts, read 12,615,182 times
The DC area has bad traffic because there are places for people to go to - jobs and restaurants and theatre and museums and parks and stadiums and schools and...

Move to a place without traffic and you will quickly find out that there is a reason for that - there are few places to go! People don't have jobs - so no office to drive to! People don't have money so they don't go to restaurants! The theatre? Why would a theatre form where there is no audience? Museums? Sure, come visit between 2 and 4 on Friday and Satruday to find out the lifecycle of the largest grasshopper that ever lived in Georgiatucky county. Parks? Why not? We have some outdated play equipment and a blade of grass on the soccer field. Sports stadium? If they build it, they won't come. Schools? Sure, send your kids here, if you dare.

Okay, so maybe not every place is that bad. But for someone who has moved to a place with a lot less traffic, trust me, it is overrated. I just drive farther to go anywhere.

Old 02-14-2013, 07:43 AM

8,771 posts, read 10,671,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
The DC area has bad traffic because there are places for people to go to - jobs and restaurants and theatre and museums and parks and stadiums and schools and...
actually I am often surprised at how LITTLE traffic there is on the back streets of capital hill - or in the Rosslyn Ballston corridor of North Arlington (the streets, not I66) or for that matter the back streets of your old Vienna stomping ground.

I would say we have bad traffic in large part because of mistakes in planning and design - excessive seperation of uses, too much reliance on low density housing (and too little of the high density housing in proximity to employment or metro, or in pedestrian friendly locations), too much reliance on the automobile (despite our metro system), imbalances in employment and residential location (not an excess concentration at the center, but our bad east west balance), and in many areas (esp in Fairfax) poor connectivity of the arterial road network. Add to that certain historical facts that predated suburbanization (the small number of existing local railroad lines compared to some other large cities, which limited the opportunities for commuter rail) and our recent inability to cooperate across the region to fund and manage metro (whose service issues certainly add to the regional traffic woes).

OTOH almost every local jurisdiction in the region is aware of these problems, and is trying to address them one way or the other.

Last edited by brooklynborndad; 02-14-2013 at 08:14 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or