U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-18-2013, 07:40 PM
 
Location: Alexandria, VA
729 posts, read 1,305,126 times
Reputation: 749

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfax Mom View Post
What is stopping my family from getting out of here?.....hmmmm....lets think.....JOBS - must have a job in another area to move - only a fool would leave without another job lined up - but - jobs are not exactly plentiful right now - thanks to you-know-who
Then please explain how my part-time job quadrupled employment since I started working here three years ago (and that's just as my office in Richmond - we opened two new offices in Nashville and Phoenix). They beg me to become a manager, but I always decline because - as I stated before - this is a part-time job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-18-2013, 09:30 PM
 
1,403 posts, read 1,854,151 times
Reputation: 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfax Mom View Post
What is stopping my family from getting out of here?.....hmmmm....lets think.....JOBS - must have a job in another area to move - only a fool would leave without another job lined up - but - jobs are not exactly plentiful right now - thanks to you-know-who
So you have no problem taking a job here and other areas more desirable to you have none (for you), but you are still going to complain about this area. Do I have that about right?

Look, I am no fan of the current president and think that he has been horribly business-unfriendly during what should have been a robust recovery otherwise, but he is not the one preventing you from moving to another area. What's stopping you is the fact that -- deep inside -- you prioritize for what you have here in NoVA now (e.g. job) more than what you could have elsewhere (no job or worse job and whatever tickles your fancy). It's really simple as that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2013, 04:46 AM
 
Location: Everywhere and Nowhere
14,131 posts, read 27,107,573 times
Reputation: 6826
I'd be interested in hearing where these people who are so sick of NoVA think things are much better and why. Where do you want to go but can't?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2013, 08:30 AM
 
Location: Virginia-Shenandoah Valley
6,592 posts, read 10,906,996 times
Reputation: 5613
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
I'd be interested in hearing where these people who are so sick of NoVA think things are much better and why. Where do you want to go but can't?

I won't say I'm "sick" of NOVA but I am tired of the high cost of living and especially the traffic. I've been in NOVA since 73. Graduated HS, met and married my wife here, did a 30 year LE career here, and now working as a fed contractor. My line of work is a very specific specialty (K9 training). I would have moved to New Hampshire a few years ago if I could find a job in my career. I actually thought I had one with TSA in the K9 community for NH but a vet with 2 years in K9 beat me out. To move there I would need to find another line of work, which at an age I'm at now is not appealing. So yeah, jobs can be a legitimate reason not to leave the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2013, 08:50 AM
 
Location: Arlington, VA and Washington, DC
23,653 posts, read 33,467,179 times
Reputation: 32369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
You do realize that there are more jobs now than when you-know-who took office, right?
Does anyone one here think "that old guy" who ran against "you know who" in 2008 or "who da ...." in 2012 could do any better with the conditions that "that son of ........." left? I surely do not.

Quote:
So you have no problem taking a job here and other areas more desirable to you have none (for you), but you are still going to complain about this area. Do I have that about right?
I was in a position where I was either going to be on unemployment in Kentucky by the end of 2012 living in mom's spare bedroom across the hall from her or take a job here where money would be tight but at least I'd be working and putting experience on my resume to position myself to get something better. Did I like those being my only options? No. But it is what it is.

Many come here because the economies in areas they'd like to be are crap and they may not be happy here but at least they are in a better position to survive. I definitely understand that some are here plainly for career survival (i'm one of them) and they need to vent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2013, 08:51 AM
 
Location: Mclean, Va; West Palm Beach, Fl
513 posts, read 807,713 times
Reputation: 324
Since around 2002, traffic has become a ugly hideous beast. There used to be an against Traffic routes on 495 and 66. Not anymore, parking lot almost all the time (except late at night) in both directions with the develpment of more neighborhoods south of Centreville and Woodbridge.

When the warm weather starts up, I am going to be commuting on Harley a few times a week where I can take any of the HOV lanes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2013, 03:48 PM
 
Location: New-Dentist Colony
5,740 posts, read 8,982,977 times
Reputation: 3858
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
I won't say I'm "sick" of NOVA but I am tired of the high cost of living and especially the traffic. I've been in NOVA since 73. Graduated HS, met and married my wife here, did a 30 year LE career here, and now working as a fed contractor. My line of work is a very specific specialty (K9 training). I would have moved to New Hampshire a few years ago if I could find a job in my career. I actually thought I had one with TSA in the K9 community for NH but a vet with 2 years in K9 beat me out. To move there I would need to find another line of work, which at an age I'm at now is not appealing. So yeah, jobs can be a legitimate reason not to leave the area.
Wow, can you come train our dog? If you can get him to stay out of the kitchen while I'm getting his food, you are indeed the Shepherd Whisperer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2013, 03:27 AM
 
Location: Virginia-Shenandoah Valley
6,592 posts, read 10,906,996 times
Reputation: 5613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
Wow, can you come train our dog? If you can get him to stay out of the kitchen while I'm getting his food, you are indeed the Shepherd Whisperer.

That would be an easy one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2013, 04:47 AM
 
Location: Everywhere and Nowhere
14,131 posts, read 27,107,573 times
Reputation: 6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
That would be an easy one.
Sure, but could you do it with a cat? That would be impressive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2013, 07:03 AM
 
Location: Virginia-Shenandoah Valley
6,592 posts, read 10,906,996 times
Reputation: 5613
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Sure, but could you do it with a cat? That would be impressive.
I do know my limitations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top