U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 03:34 AM

1,288 posts, read 2,228,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dullnboring View Post
All this talk about cars and gas has reminded me that I have to get my car inspected for it's annual Virginia State Inspection within the next week or so (before the end of the month). I didn't realize until several years ago that not all states require such inspections. In fact, I'm not even sure that Maryland does. I know that Michigan and Ohio don't, and that New Jersey required it but only every two or three years or so. I suppose it's a good thing in it's goal to protect drivers on the road from unsafe cars, but I'm just in a bad mood and it's seeming like such an inconvenient hassle at the moment. Plus, I'm afraid that with my clunker Ford Taurus that it will fail inspection (like it did last year) and require me to get hundreds of dollars worth of repairs to be up to the state's standard.

If it keeps you from losing control of your car and taking out a light pole or a family, then it's worth the hassle. Never take it to a dealer for inspection. Corner garage with a good rep will take good care of you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2006, 09:41 AM

20,844 posts, read 39,064,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electron View Post
.....Never take it to a dealer for inspection. Corner garage with a good rep will take good care of you.
I used the same gas station each time. I gave a $5 tip to the inspector who passed my cars. I got good service, never flunked.

Old 08-23-2006, 12:46 PM

1,959 posts, read 4,719,532 times
Quote:
If it keeps you from losing control of your car and taking out a light pole or a family, then it's worth the hassle. Never take it to a dealer for inspection. Corner garage with a good rep will take good care of you.
I hear you We had to have it every year in Texas. I currently live in California we don't have to do the inspection. We do have to have our cars smog checked every other year though. It's really the states controling how people take care of their cars in the name of safety.

I really believe this is just one of many ways the states use to make money. It is an inconvenience to consumers not to mention on the pocket book. Here in CA it's about $80 a year for a 1999 Honda Civic registration + about $60 to smog it. Not to mention gas is about $3.10 a gal.

Old 08-28-2006, 04:12 PM

2,408 posts, read 13,344,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dullnboring View Post
All this talk about cars and gas has reminded me that I have to get my car inspected for it's annual Virginia State Inspection within the next week or so (before the end of the month). I didn't realize until several years ago that not all states require such inspections. In fact, I'm not even sure that Maryland does. I know that Michigan and Ohio don't, and that New Jersey required it but only every two or three years or so. I suppose it's a good thing in it's goal to protect drivers on the road from unsafe cars, but I'm just in a bad mood and it's seeming like such an inconvenient hassle at the moment. Plus, I'm afraid that with my clunker Ford Taurus that it will fail inspection (like it did last year) and require me to get hundreds of dollars worth of repairs to be up to the state's standard.
So, I finally took my car in for it's state inspection today. I went down to Goodyear and to my surprise, the wait was not bad at all. They were averaging around eight minutes per car. I had to wait around 30 minutes before they saw my car. When you consider the fact that there have been several times in the past where I've had to wait HOURS (once FIVE), this was nothing. My car passed inspection which was a nice surprise. Not so fast though, "coincidentally" RIGHT afterwards, I noticed that my exterior brake lights were stuck being "on". At first, I thought it was just the glare of the sun making it seem as if they were on, but it soon became clear that that wasn't the case. I called them back up a little peeved and told them what happened and they claimed that it was just a coincidence that this happened to just occur RIGHT after getting my car inspected by them, and you know what, truth be told, it probably is, but it did NOT look good. So I had to drop my car off someplace else just now (I could've taken it back to Goodyear; but I just don't trust them now, as ridiculous as it may be) and they're going to take a look at it, because it's not like it's a problem that can go unchecked since if the lights would've drained the battery had they remained on much longer. It seems that it's the brake light switch that needs replaced, which are fairly cheap, some $10-20 or so, so it looks like a total bill of (including labor) around $75. It's not really a big deal but it's just really irritating, and it just served as a reminder as to how much I hate living some place where a car is required. Now I'm anchored home for the next 24 hours which granted, isn't really a big deal, but it's just amazing when you live outside of the city how much of a slave you become to your car. You're completely dependant on it. I just keep getting pushed further and further into the direction of moving to New York.

Old 08-29-2006, 12:28 PM

1,288 posts, read 2,228,660 times
Glad to see your car passed. Brake light switch was a coincidence, lucky for you not expensive. It always seem to work the opposite for me. I take pretty good care of my automobile, and this year just before the inspection ran out, a generous dump truck driver offered me a rock from his truck, which I quickly accepted in the center of my windshield. So much for trying to get ahead of the game...

Old 08-29-2006, 01:31 PM

291 posts, read 1,251,299 times
I always wanted to live in suburba DC. Esp old towne, we go on vacation alot up that way too. I had no idea it was that bad up there, but then again its that way everywhere anymore, crime is spreading all over and all we can do is be smart and vigilent at the same time.

I do not think 250 grand would go far up that way, here in Williamsburg it buys you a cramped shoebox, and an ugly one at that. That is why I opted for beautiful townhome for only 155! And the value went up 25 grand in only four short months and we live in the most affordable part of town, that is turning around and growing, but I hope they do not develop where I live, too much! I like the country feel of this area and was told it was crime ridden, but all areas have crime, some you just don't see "as well" but trust me, its there!

Sorry to hear you hate where you live, maybe you could move?

Old 08-29-2006, 01:51 PM

2,408 posts, read 13,344,802 times
Quote:
Glad to see your car passed. Brake light switch was a coincidence, lucky for you not expensive. It always seem to work the opposite for me. I take pretty good care of my automobile, and this year just before the inspection ran out, a generous dump truck driver offered me a rock from his truck, which I quickly accepted in the center of my windshield. So much for trying to get ahead of the game...
Yeesh. That's the worst, when you do everything right but fall victim to someone else's negligence. I've always been very wary of driving behind dump trucks, and tow trucks, and really anything carrying something on the exterior of the car (i.e. mattress, Christmas tree, or just a trunk that is "roped" shut, etc.) just because I was paranoid about one falling off. I just got back from picking my car up. The culprit was indeed the brake light switch. The total cost was $126. The part itself supposedly cost some $24 but as usual, labor was the killer, at $88. I was surprised considering I was expecting the cost to be around $75, but by the same token, several days ago, I was anticipating my car failing inspection and possibly having to spend hundreds of dollars to repair it, so I guess I got off easy this time. Generally, that's not the case. Last year, I had to make over $800 worth of repairs on my car after it failed inspection to meet the state's standards. At this point, I don't know that I'd even bother paying such a massive bill again were I to incur one. I might just trash the car. But, at least in theory, I'm good for another year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Williamsburg, VA
I always wanted to live in suburba DC. Esp old towne, we go on vacation alot up that way too. I had no idea it was that bad up there, but then again its that way everywhere anymore, crime is spreading all over and all we can do is be smart and vigilent at the same time.

I do not think 250 grand would go far up that way, here in Williamsburg it buys you a cramped shoebox, and an ugly one at that. That is why I opted for beautiful townhome for only 155! And the value went up 25 grand in only four short months and we live in the most affordable part of town, that is turning around and growing, but I hope they do not develop where I live, too much! I like the country feel of this area and was told it was crime ridden, but all areas have crime, some you just don't see "as well" but trust me, its there!

Sorry to hear you hate where you live, maybe you could move?
Old Town Alexandria is beautiful. I love it there. The only problem of course is that it is incredibly expensive to live there. I think that commutes and cost of living are really the biggest gripes amongst people in the DC area, as they sort of cloud over possible other great attributes of living in the area (i.e. the great economy, low crime...in the suburbs at least, terrific schools, cosmopolitan atmosphere, etc.).

As for moving, well, that's why I'm on this board I'm trying to figure out where I should move to. I was sort of forced to return to the DC area a few months ago (long story involving family) but now I'm in a sense free to leave again so it's just a matter of getting my job, living situation and finances in order to do so.

Old 08-31-2006, 06:35 AM

Yes, it is expensive to live there. Good luck with your move!

Old 09-04-2006, 03:40 PM

18 posts, read 81,390 times
I lived in MD for 38 years and finally moved last year! I feel so bad responding to the people who are moving to the area-I just don't know what to tell them. They want to know where to live... I have no good answer. Everything in way too expensive. People are just not friendly. The area is too transient to give it a home feeling and too crowded. I moved to a little tiny town in Louisiana and while most people would think it is a s***hole, I think it is soooo much better than MD. People are just nice, caring, and helpful. It makes such a difference in quality of life. My kids go to a very small private school which is just amazing. Even though MD has some cities that are the top places to live in the US and LA has nothing, I would much, much rather live in my crappy little city than the MD area. I have been detoxing from that area for a year now!!! Hope I am not being too judgemental about the area-just voicing my experience and opinion!

Old 09-04-2006, 03:51 PM

Wow, maybe I should be glad I can't afford to live MD? I always wanted too! Glad to hear you are happy where you are now, that is all that counts!~
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or