Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2006, 07:29 PM

799 posts, read 3,216,496 times

Advertisements

SOrry folks, I have to vent, hopefully to dissuade anyone from moving to this place. Since this whole rain mess started, it's now taking me 2.5 hours to drive to school and back (each friggin way) and that's when there are no traffic accidents. I'm considering even leaving my college at this point and pursuing Massage Therapy simply because I can get to it easier. This is ridiculous!!!

And the road rage here seems non-ending. *sigh*

So, when you think of development, think of northern Virginina. When you think of really bad traffic jams, overpriced..everything, think of NOVA!

Think "McMansion" with zero lot line and being house poor and never getting to spend any time in it. Just stay away!

Sorry to sound so depressing, but that's really what it's like out here. It's hard enough to do the supermom thing (work, school, kids, cooking, etc) but this is just ridiculous. Avoid this area if you have the choice!

~ Angela
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2006, 03:57 PM

26,126 posts, read 48,742,730 times
Wink There is a better way....it's called COLORADO

Angela: With you all the way. We lived in Chantilly for 27 years, and a year ago came to Colorado Springs. Wow, it's like being reborn, truly.

Housing here is less than half of NOVA.

No traffic to speak of, not like what we were/you are used to back in NOVA.

People here are friendly, not aggressive and adversarial like in DC area.

Climate here is great. Low rain, low humidity, few bugs, not much snow at all.

Things to do outdoors are endless here.

We have all the same jobs here as in NOVA, we're a big defense town with lots of Federal dollars and no smokestacks / ghetto's.

Lots of good colleges here, and around the state.

You can afford to live here, near your job or college.

Read all about it in the Colorado Forum, in my thread "Why Choose Colorado Springs."

Go ahead and pull the trigger on a good idea. Get out of NOVA and head west. Fear not.

s/Mike from back east, and I ain't going back.....

Old 06-30-2006, 11:47 AM

2,408 posts, read 14,360,050 times
I totally agree with you Angela. I live in Ashburn as well (Ashburn Village to be exact) and absolutely despise it. I loathe the DC area as a whole, Northern Virginia in particular, but Ashburn seems to be in another league. On a superficial level, I suppose it's nice in the manicured lawns and artificial lakes and no crime and such, but it's just mind-numbingly frustrating to have to drive 30 minutes to get ANYWHERE! I'm lucky enough to actually work in Ashburn but 95% of people who live here do not and have to suffer through insane commutes. The story is pretty similar elsewhere throughout the DC region but it seems especially pronounced in Loudoun County where the roads aren't built to handle the insane population growth.

I've only lived in Ashburn for the past few months and am planning on moving out ASAP. I grew up in Fairfax (well, the Fairfax postal code, but not within the city limits) and lived for the past two years in Centreville and while I hate both of those areas as well, I would gladly move back rather than live in Ashburn.

I will never understand why so many people are moving here with the traffic and cost of living the way it is. I'm planning on leaving the DC area for good but if I ever did have to move back for a future job opportunity, I would much rather rent out a room or a tiny apartment in DC, Arlington, Alexandria, or an inner Beltway community (preferably near a Metro station) rather than suffer through the horrific commutes and the Truman Show homogeneity of the outer suburbs.

Old 07-01-2006, 04:19 AM

33 posts, read 241,473 times
Angela -- We currently live in Stafford, but have just sold our home and are moving to Summerville, SC in two weeks. This past Tuesday it took me 2 hrs to get to my office in DC and MOST of that time was spent getting across the 14th St. bridge. I totally understand and can relate to your frustration. My husband did work in DC but was transferred to Dulles Airport about 2 months ago so it created a worse commute for him.

We decided back in February of this year to get the heck out, because we just can't take it anymore. We want a more simple way of life, more affordable housing, and a better quality of life (i.e., not spending 2-4 hours in a car on a daily basis just to go to and from work) for our family.

It's been a great 12 yrs here, but it ain't the same!

People considering moving to Stafford and working in DC should think twice about the commute part and really factor that in to your negotiating with employers. Telecommuting is the way to go if one can do it!!

Good luck folks and adios I-95!!

Old 07-05-2006, 12:05 PM

1 posts, read 8,019 times
well, for the road rage, you guys in america could try getting some FSKIN public transportation, even the places here tht have it, it is terrible, i know its a massive country and you need a car in this country, but for FSK sake, get some more trains and buses. I got trapped in Warrenton for a week cus you need a car there or bucket of money for the taxi driver to get the h3ll outta these 7th heaven wannabe places.... sorry, i just had to vent too... apologies

Old 07-05-2006, 07:20 PM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 11,726,618 times
I am so with you all! I have been trying to get out for the better part of a year. Unfortunatly, my field is too specialized to move first, find a job later. The best opportunity I've found is near Chicago. I feel like it would be out of the frying pan and into the fire. *sigh*

Springfield to Rockville every day for 5 years is enough for me. Can't even take the train - all the way into the city the way out the red line. *sigh* I come home every day so annoyed with everything.

Old 07-07-2006, 06:36 PM

16 posts, read 61,864 times
Default I hate DC as well

I agree with everyone on this topic. I am a single 24 year old female and have lived here for about 1 and a half years. At first I loved it, but then the cold winters, rainy summers, and horrible traffic started to set in. I am trying to move out west now to California. I know it is expersive out there and traffic is bad, but at least they have perfect weather. I can't stand the cold and snowy winters, the hot and humid summers, and the chilly and rainy springs. It just sucks!

Also, I feel like people here are not that friendly. Too many workaholics perhaps.

Problem is I can't find a job out there. I know once I moved out there, finding a job will not be a problem, however, I want to find a job before I move. Ug!!!

Old 07-07-2006, 09:04 PM

9 posts, read 31,779 times
Default I hate this area too!

I can relate to all that I've read here. I grew up in Arlington and now live in Fairfax- it's unbelievable. I'm just biding time hoping to get out in a year or so. I'm in graduate school and want to finish before leaving although my desire to go is amazingly powerful. The area is VERY different than the one I grew up in. The fast pace, competitive, unfriendly nature of people and the mcmansionization of the entire area leaves me speechless- I'm disgusted by it all.
I needed to vent too- thanks!

Old 07-07-2006, 10:13 PM

165 posts, read 923,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibeg4sushi
SOrry folks, I have to vent, hopefully to dissuade anyone from moving to this place. Since this whole rain mess started, it's now taking me 2.5 hours to drive to school and back (each friggin way) and that's when there are no traffic accidents. I'm considering even leaving my college at this point and pursuing Massage Therapy simply because I can get to it easier. This is ridiculous!!!

And the road rage here seems non-ending. *sigh*

So, when you think of development, think of northern Virginina. When you think of really bad traffic jams, overpriced..everything, think of NOVA!

Think "McMansion" with zero lot line and being house poor and never getting to spend any time in it. Just stay away!

Sorry to sound so depressing, but that's really what it's like out here. It's hard enough to do the supermom thing (work, school, kids, cooking, etc) but this is just ridiculous. Avoid this area if you have the choice!

~ Angela
Angela,

That is EXACTLY why I left NOVA in the first place. I would get so pissed off for sitting 2.5 hours to drive on I-66 from Centreville to DC sometimes if I picked the wrong flipping 15 minute window to leave my house. Not to mention for the money I spent in rent I was able to BUILD a house in Southern Maryland. The same size house in Fairfax county was STARTING at 800k back in 2001!?!?! I almost blew my lid... it's all location, location, location.

I now travel more miles to get to where I need to but I get there in less time and actually FEEL like I'm accomplishing something. I no longer have to take the metro I can if I want to or I can leisurely drive to DC or wherever I wish. I at least have a peaceful drive with trees and nice scenery on the way home to calm my nerves from wanting to shoot the next putz that slams on their brakes when a single rain drop hits the road.

I fear now with my office being so far away I'm yet again looking to move but I sure enjoyed this neighborhood while it lasted.

John

Last edited by Yac; 07-08-2006 at 11:16 AM..

Old 07-09-2006, 03:13 PM

363 posts, read 2,014,003 times
I don't live in NOVA. I visited VA, DC, and Maryland lots when I was younger (about 20-25 years ago) and LOVE, LOVE, LOVED them. I had family in all three places and I dreamed of living right in the heart of it all. As an adult with many little ones, I often think of coming to the area, but since the cost of living is quite high, we have not been able to swing it. Hearing all of you discuss your situations actually makes me feel a little less pained over that fact. At times I have felt that I was missing out- by not being in the heart of it all, but maybe I have tended to take my situation for granted. All that you are frustrated by, I have non of... This site is so full of reality, romanticizing a place is almost impossible. Gosh, I hope you all understand, I'm commiserating with you and hope you find some easier days... I really wish you the best. But, I also gotta thank you. As much as it kinda stinks to find out my dream spot is not what I remember as a "child", I am grateful to be enlightened.Thanks all and much luck for a less stressed future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: