U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-27-2007, 07:47 PM

1 posts, read 8,768 times

Advertisements

hello everyone,

this is really important to me, and i'm needing to know what the cost of living is around the leesburg, va area, and if it's similiar to the harrisonburg, va area, i currently live close to harrisonburg but don't make much money and have been offered a job in leesburg for 18.00 an hour plus commissions, is that a decent wage to make it on? i've already done a lil research as far as rent, and gas prices, but what about groceries, and utilities, and things of that nature are they similiar to my current location??? i'm really needing some help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2007, 08:51 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,520,837 times
Like the rest of Northern Virginia, Leesburg is more expensive than Harrisonburg, but I feel if only supporting yourself and looking to rent and not having any sort of exorbitant spending habits, you should be able to get by just fine. Going off of the assumption that you will be working 40 hours a week, your take home pay each month will be around the tune of $2600. This is not including your commission. Lower-end one-bedroom apartments generally start in Leesburg at around $900/month (maybe a few at $850), but the nicer apartments will generally be around $1000-1100/month not including utilities (of course, you can find ones nicer/more expensive than THAT as well but there's really no need to). The biggest difference in cost of living in Leesburg compared to Harrisonburg is the cost of housing (particularly buying a home); whereas the difference in prices on things such as gas, groceries and utilities isn't remarkably different; figure maybe an additional 10%. As for car/transportation costs, insurance will most likely be a bit more although I'm not sure how drastic a change it will be. I truthfully have no clue as to how much people pay in car payments each month since I bought my car outright, but I figure you can add all of these figures up on your own. Then there's food as well, which varies wildly depending on the person and their eating habits. It could be anywhere from $200-600/month depending on how frequently one eats and what they buy. Basically, you know your random bills better than I do so you can probably determine how much of your paycheck will go to other expenses like cell phone bills, credit card bills, gym membership, shopping, movies, etc. I personally would think that at $18/hour plus commission, living in your own decent one-bedroom apartment, you should be able to put away at least a couple hundred dollars in your bank account every month and be able to live rather freely without worrying excessively about things, although you're not making so much to be able to drop $200 at the drop of a dime.

Old 03-28-2007, 09:12 AM

3,029 posts, read 7,783,547 times
groceries in NOVA are more expensive than they were in PA. But I would say they are on avg what you are paying now. Safeway runs really good sales and Giant is a tad more expensive. We have a Shoppers and they are supposed to have the best prices, but I haven't been there yet. We have a COSTCO and they have the best prices on Milk (we use 3 gal a week!) Bread etc... There is also a Super Target but it is very expensive for big grocery shopping.

Utilities... my house is 2500sqft with a stupid catheral ceiling and 3 finished levels. Our Gas/Elecrtic bills avg. $300/month. I was expecting it to be alot more but if you really control you heat/AC you should be good. WATER is the biggie here. LIVE in the "city limits" of Leesburg.

The water bill for those outside of the incorporated city pay more than double of us city residents. It's been a big issue with the city for over a year. Again I have a family of 5 (lots of laundry and dishes) our water/sewage bill is $130 quarterly.

Comcast is cable they will give you apretty ok deal since they are new. I pay $60/month for basic expanded and internet.

Trash P/U is included in our HOA of $37/month (this reg trash, recycle, rubbish from trees etc..and apliance removal)

As for apt. Although most of Leesburg is VERY safe. there are areas where random crime is more aparant. Stay away from the Fields apts and the Glens? basically all the apt bldgs between N of rt 7 and S of Edwards Ferry road. and E of Catocin cir and W of Plaza st.
Windsor apts off of Battlefield are nice and the TH in Exeter. There are some nice condos behind Home Depot as well. Over by the old safeway there is a nice area as well.

Good LUck.

Old 12-10-2008, 06:13 AM

1 posts, read 7,492 times
We are tranfering into the area and are trying to decide whether or not to live in say Leesburg area or any NOVA area that we could commute to Fredrick Maryland... How is the commute?are the taxes in Maryland verses VA really different.... living much of a difference....We really need a good High school. This is our main concern. COuld really use someones help with this decision.....of where is best to raise teens....and commute....

Old 12-10-2008, 09:44 AM

3,029 posts, read 7,783,547 times
The commute from Leesburg to Frederick would be about 45-60 minutes. you can use Whites Ferry or the point of Rocks bridge to get over to MD.

But...why not live on the MD side? Frederick is a very neat town. Montgomery CO schools are very good...Gaithersburg, Germantown, montgomery village etc... commute would be about 20-25minutes to frederick.

I do think taxes are higher in MD than VA.

you might check out housing in Luckettes since you'd be going against most of the rush hour traffic, you could save 15-20 minutes on the commute. Schools are good (same as Leesburg) Luckettes on has an elem school. Good housing options.

Another option would be Lovettesville...although it's a bit out of the way for most, it's great for a commute over to MD. It is very close to the point of Rocks bridge.. 30 minutes into Frederick MD

Old 12-10-2008, 10:10 AM

23 posts, read 45,108 times
Exclamation Beware of Propane

We moved up to Western Loudoun from the Richmond area--a definite change in the cost of living. We are now in Lovettsville, but do food shopping in Frederick, MD as there is no food tax (but their other sales tax is 6% versus the 4.5% VA tax--so we just shop for food there). From Lovettsville, Frederick is about the same distance as traveling to Leesburg. Frederick also has a SuperWalmart and a Costco which are better for the grocery budget.

The biggest increase in spending for us was the Propane bill (we've always had electric or natural gas). Last winter for our home that was less than 2500 sq ft, we spent more than $4000 in propane--and we keep it at 68 during the day (when we're home) and 62 at night with a programmable thermostat. So, beware of the Propane. Our new home has part propane and part electric (dual heatpump), but we keep the propane thermostat set on 59 and supplement with electric heaters to keep the propane from kicking on. Each heater cost $40--but worth it to not use propane.

So, check when renting or buying and try to avoid the propane or plan to supplement or pay big bucks.

I should also add that we had a bit larger water bill when living in Purcellville. I know there are a lot of issues with water and sewage costs when further out away from Leesburg town limits. But, now we are on well & septic and that is free.

Last edited by homeschoolmama; 12-10-2008 at 10:18 AM.. Reason: an addition

Old 12-10-2008, 10:33 AM

2 posts, read 11,263 times
Cost of living in Leesburg is all over the scale. There are homes for rent as low as $800 for a 1BR and as high as $12,000 a month. Homes that sell from between $150,000 to 15,000,000. It depends on which area of Leesburg. Cost of living, i.e. groceries will be similar to where you are coming from unless you shop the Gourmet shops. More likley you would travel a few miles to get discount groceries, but they are available.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia