Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 03:36 PM

269 posts, read 998,877 times

Advertisements

I have read the very troubling news, about the 4-year-old little boy viciously mauled yesterday (he lost an eye) over in District Heights, Maryland, and now I'm concerned because unlike PG County, it appears Fairfax County does not have a breed ban in effect to protect residents from the dangerous Pit Bull dog!

I cannot confirm on www.fairfaxcounty.gov whether or not there is a ban, so please somebody let me know, because if there's no ban then maybe I'm gonna have to do something about it and LOBBY my local government to install a BREED BAN.

Does anyone know of any dog-attacks/maulings that have happened now or in the past around Burke/West Springfield area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2009, 04:02 PM

1,059 posts, read 2,949,759 times
Pit Bulls are illegal in Prince Georges County, and yet one was still owned by the child's family. How would making them illegal in Fairfax County prevent the same thing from happening if a family decides they want one anyway? A toddler should never be in the company of a dog (even a Chihuahua) without an adult present. It is also everyone's responsibility to make sure leash laws are enforced; if you see a dog running loose in your neighborhood call animal control.

Old 04-01-2009, 04:24 PM

989 posts, read 2,843,122 times
Oh, no. Not the dangerous pitbull.

Poodles bite more people than pitbulls... Breed ban. That's brilliant! Why not ban ALL dogs over 40 pounds? How about all brown dogs? All spotted dogs?

I have an idea. Why don't we start holding PEOPLE accountable for once.

And, by the way- the 4 year old in PG was trying to put the pitbull back into his crate. Not quite the best job for a 4 year old, no matter WHAT kind of dog.

Old 04-01-2009, 04:36 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,565,380 times
I don't believe they are illegal because there haven't been any real issues with them in Fairfax County. Nor do I believe that in Fairfax County is there some incessant need to own a Pit Bull as there is in DC or PG County. Until people in Fairfax County start behaving irresponsibly with their Pit Bulls, I doubt there will be a ban.

Old 04-01-2009, 06:32 PM

1,629 posts, read 3,469,438 times
And a Chow killed a 2-week-old baby a few weeks ago. Let's ban them, too!

What we need to ban is parents who don't supervise their children.

Old 04-02-2009, 10:06 AM

1,831 posts, read 4,418,813 times
Did you see this?

Virginia Maintains Online Dangerous Dog Registry|ABC 7 News

Dangerous dog registry in VA.

Old 04-02-2009, 10:29 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,457,575 times
Interesting link.

It looks like Virginia is doing it the right way - listing dangerous dogs - not by breed - but by dog.

Golden Retrievers are being inbred so much there is now a condition called "Golden Retriever Rage" - any type of dog can hurt someone.

I have two very large dogs and they are NEVER left alone with my small children for ANY reason - not even for 2 seconds - they are well behaved dogs but they are animals and can never be completely trusted - thats what people dont realize - they are ANIMALS -

And - let me tell you - there are much more powerful breeds than pitbulls out there. Presas, Corsos, Boerbels, etc.

Old 04-02-2009, 12:42 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,182,708 times
Actually, I've got a better idea. Since people kill a million times more people than dogs, let's ban people!!!!!

Old 04-02-2009, 02:00 PM

7 posts, read 34,096 times
I'm amazed at how many people are so quick to pass judgement on issues that they are too lazy to educate themselves on first. There is no such thing as a "pit bull breed". Any dog, be it a shepard, rottweiler, boxer, bulldog, can be trained to fight in a "pit" and that categorizes them as pit bulls ~ particularly by the media. The American Pit Bull Terrior and the Staffordshire Pit are tragically misrepresented. Throughout history, these breeds have been trained NOT to bite humans but to fight bulls and other dogs. The owners would go into the pit with them and if one bit the person, the dog was put down. A responsible owner will be cautious of their APBT or Staff around other dogs, particularly males. This is true of MOST dogs, no matter the breed. People allowing a 4 year old that is eye to eye with a large dog, should be banned! Let's start making people responsible and not the dog that is simply doing what humans have trained them to do! Currently, the dogs with highest bite rates are Chow, German Shepards, Cocker Spaniels and Dalmations. I've been bitten by two dogs, a collie and a poodle. My APBT is guilty of trying to lick my face off!

Old 04-02-2009, 04:10 PM

1,629 posts, read 3,469,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audrey Sullivan View Post
I'm amazed at how many people are so quick to pass judgement on issues that they are too lazy to educate themselves on first. There is no such thing as a "pit bull breed". Any dog, be it a shepard, rottweiler, boxer, bulldog, can be trained to fight in a "pit" and that categorizes them as pit bulls ~ particularly by the media. The American Pit Bull Terrior and the Staffordshire Pit are tragically misrepresented. Throughout history, these breeds have been trained NOT to bite humans but to fight bulls and other dogs. The owners would go into the pit with them and if one bit the person, the dog was put down. A responsible owner will be cautious of their APBT or Staff around other dogs, particularly males. This is true of MOST dogs, no matter the breed. People allowing a 4 year old that is eye to eye with a large dog, should be banned! Let's start making people responsible and not the dog that is simply doing what humans have trained them to do! Currently, the dogs with highest bite rates are Chow, German Shepards, Cocker Spaniels and Dalmations. I've been bitten by two dogs, a collie and a poodle. My APBT is guilty of trying to lick my face off!

My AmStaff will lick ANYbody's face off
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia