Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 03:32 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,669,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
2:30-3:00 is actually a good time to go. That's when a lot of kids are getting home from school.

The new Weggie's is nice, but I still love the original one in Sterling the best. Now that they've built the newest one, the Sterling one is a breeze to get through.

I think the Fairfax store was their first in this area...

Like I said, I'm in the Fairfax store a lot...and on weekday mornings it's not very crowded.

That said, don't even think of going to any Weggie's on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving...FORGET IT!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2009, 03:44 PM

257 posts, read 565,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teebyrd86 View Post
ne guy stoped for me and the car behind decided he didnt have the time so he blew his horn, went around him and proceeded to blow across the predestrian walkway comming very close to hitting me and another man. I like wegmans but its too face paced in there you didnt even have time to look at things.. its like hurry up and look or your going to get hit by a mound of carts.
That is my biggest pet peeve... although, from a traffic management standpoint, I'm at a loss as to how cars should move through heavily trafficed pedestrian areas -- pedestrians always have the right of way, but that can make it a real #$%#$%^ in some areas.

In college, one of my good friends would joke that whenever he wanted to jaywalk, he'd take me with him. He's literally half my size, and would claim that if a car hit me, there'd be more damage to the car then there would to me, and the drivers knew it.

Old 11-16-2009, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashburnite View Post
Keep in mind, however, that it Eggspectation does NOT have IHOP prices. Breakfast entrees run about $10.
IHOP doesn't even have IHOP prices anymore. A stinkin' omelet costs $8.50, if not more, and that's "about" $10 in my book.

My brother-in-law's kids attend Loudon Co. public schools, and one of them was doing a fundraiser for his football team. $20 bought a pack of coupons to local restaurants (or the Ashburn/Sterling locations of chain restaurants.) The IHOP coupons were "Buy one, get one free, max $7." I think $7 covered one entree on the menu, no joke.

That reminds me... do any of you do the Entertainment book thingie? My parents do it in Milwaukee, and rave about it. Out here, just about all of the restaurants are "buy one get one free, up to $X off." I wouldn't be so frustrated with that misleading advertising if the $X off was for the most expensive two or three dishes on the menu (say, lobster tail). But $X is priced so low at these restaurants that it covers only the two or three cheapest items on the menu. To me, that's misleading and it pisses me off. If they're going to be that cheap, they should just advertise "Take $X your order of two or more entrees." (Sounds a lot less enticing, I know. But it's more honest.)

Old 11-16-2009, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashburnite View Post
Aside from the "fanciness" of Wegmans and their specialty bakery and food items, what they also have to offer is low prices on regular grocery items and good quality store brand products.
Their meat seems a little expensive but if you purchase the large value packs you usually get a good deal. Plus maybe the quality is better than a less expensive item at another store.
That seems to be my experience as well. I was surprised at how cheap the name brand stuff is -- I thought it would be a gouger the first time I walked in there. Dang.

Although, I have to admit, I live within spitting distance of Harris Teeter, so I happen to do a lot of my "just need a few things" shopping there. My other fave is Trader Joes -- love their juices and prepared foods.

Old 11-16-2009, 06:15 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,934,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
I think the Fairfax store was their first in this area...
Actually, the very first one was the store near Rt. 28 and Waxpool Road. The CEO saw the site while flying in to Dulles. It was formerly a Wal-Mart, and at the time he flew over it there were a number of developments under construction in the same area. Seeing all that growth is what gave him the initial idea to expand into Virginia.

Old 11-16-2009, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous703 View Post
That seems to be my experience as well. I was surprised at how cheap the name brand stuff is -- I thought it would be a gouger the first time I walked in there. Dang.
You have to shop carefully, but Weggie's has some great bargains. Starbucks ground coffee is about $7/pound. You can't beat that (unless you grind the big 10-pound bag of beans at Costco).

Old 11-16-2009, 09:07 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,669,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Actually, the very first one was the store near Rt. 28 and Waxpool Road. The CEO saw the site while flying in to Dulles. It was formerly a Wal-Mart, and at the time he flew over it there were a number of developments under construction in the same area. Seeing all that growth is what gave him the initial idea to expand into Virginia.

You're so right....I should take a few seconds to google before I shoot my mouth off!

BTW, Wegman's CEO is a Wegman....which I think is instrumental to their success. Family owned....no shareholders to placate....no bean counters to come up with wacky ideas, like the late Circuit City...hey, let's fire everybody that makes over $x.xx an hour!

Old 11-16-2009, 11:25 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,948,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arielmina View Post
alright I get it, I love Wegmans too! I was in the area getting an oil change at the Honda dealer so i figured I'd go in if it didn't look crowded (this was at 10:00 AM this morning). No crowds, perfect. SUCH A BIG STORE! I love it, just like the great food stores of my home state of CT, lots of international foods, prepared foods, organics - LOVE. and the fruit and veggies looked so fresh! Also love how when you sign up for their card, you get a shopping bag, basting oil and a ton of coupons. LOVE. so now I have to figure out when to go. Best bet for me is going to be after 3:00 Pm on a weekday, but do we think it'll be too crowded?? (I am not going to fight for a parking spot to go to the food store every week)
I went last Tuesday around 5:00 and had NO Problems whatsoever. I parked fairly close, there were no big crowds, no waiting for anything.

Old 11-17-2009, 06:42 AM

Here's what I like: the coupon books have good deals on products I frequently buy, not 10 cents or 15 cents off some gimmicky item. Free 5-pound bag of white potatoes this week if you buy $10 of groceries. That's my idea of a good coupon.

Old 11-17-2009, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
You're so right....I should take a few seconds to google before I shoot my mouth off!

BTW, Wegman's CEO is a Wegman....which I think is instrumental to their success. Family owned....no shareholders to placate....no bean counters to come up with wacky ideas, like the late Circuit City...hey, let's fire everybody that makes over $x.xx an hour!
Yeah, that was just dumb. I was never a huge CC fan, but I figured that if you don't want to give me good service, I don't have to give you good business. So this was just another example of "you either compete on quality, or you compete on price, but you can't compete on neither."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia