Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2009, 08:24 PM

125 posts, read 404,371 times

Advertisements

I'm wondering if you have to go to the school that I see listed on the realtors sites or can you choose what school in the county your child goes to? Public schools obviously. we are looking at Woodbridge and see a few HS's but am unsure how it works there...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2009, 10:45 PM

12 posts, read 47,176 times
PWC site is pretty good...here is a link where you put in the house address and it will show the correct schools the house is zoned for..

Find Your School!

Also if you navigate to "schools" scroll down to school profiles, pick the one you are interested in and from that site on the left "school data" will bring up a PDF with all the school demographics, scores etc...

Good Luck, I'm in the same boat..so I've been all over these sites....

Old 04-03-2009, 10:48 PM

12 posts, read 47,176 times
Also, most of the HS in PWC have specialty programs -- Forest Park is tech, Woodbridge Drama, Garfield IB program..your child can apply to any HS program and if accepted there are buses that go to them from no zoned HS....

Old 04-04-2009, 05:08 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,660,053 times
For elementary, you must go to the schools you are zoned for unless you can get a waiver to transfer (usually daycare related).

For middle schools, there are some options for transfer such as the language programs offered at Lake Ridge middle or Fred Lynn. Again, you don't get a LOT of choice on these. For instance, based on where I live, I could take my child out of his zoned middle school and do the language, but I would have to choose Fred Lynn and could not choose Lake Ridge, based on my address.

The High Schools all have "specialty" programs that accept about 200 students into them. You apply to these programs, just as you would in college, and then you can go to a different high school. Usually though, you can't go to a Western PWC school if you live in Eastern Prince William County. Osbourn Park was as far west as we could use living in Woodbridge.

Old 04-04-2009, 05:45 AM

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I will look into the sites and do more research.

So far we'd like CD Hylton and Woodbridge based on the Crew Teams. We have a rower in the house and will need to keep that up for consistency. Does anyone have anything to offer on these schools?

Old 04-04-2009, 05:51 AM

bospat: THANK YOU!! What a great site.. I will continue to use this. thanks for being so helpful!

Old 04-04-2009, 06:03 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,660,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetoboat View Post
Thanks for the suggestions so far. I will look into the sites and do more research.

So far we'd like CD Hylton and Woodbridge based on the Crew Teams. We have a rower in the house and will need to keep that up for consistency. Does anyone have anything to offer on these schools?
My daughter attended the Fine Arts program at Woodbridge for her Freshman year. She did not care for the school. I didn't *hate* the school but was not crazy about it. As with most PWC high schools it is large and overcrowded. There was a lot of racial issues at the time that weren't a huge deal, just a daily annoyance.

On the other hand, many kids go to Woodbridge and do absolutely fine. There is a good education there depending on the type of student you are. My daughter is just a very average and it was hard for her not to fall through the cracks.

I would put Hylton High School at the same level as Woodbridge.

Schools change from year to year. Five years ago, the better high schools are no longer the better high schools this year. Not sure what makes a difference. The latest scuttlebut that I get from parents is that Osbourn Park is the better school available to eastern Prince William County. The way to go there is to either live in the Westridge neighborhood and on up the parkway into Manassas. Or to apply to the Biotech program.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia