Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 02:33 PM

4,697 posts, read 6,445,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneasterisk View Post
From personal experience, I've seen it sometimes where HOV is moving slower than normal I95/395. There is enough affluent people in this area that will pay to get into the hot lanes causing HOV to be even worse. To me, not a good idea.
Good point. I understand that the rate that HOT lane drivers will be charged will vary depending on traffic load ... the more traffic, the higher the rate. In theory, that would have a dampening effect on HOT lane users, keeping traffic congestion at bay. But as you said, there are plenty of affluent people in the area. Should be interesting, and I don't mean that in a good way!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2009, 06:13 AM

4,437 posts, read 8,122,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysons2008 View Post
It is not the same company managing the Dulles Toll Road. Completely different company with much better reputation. The HOT lanes will be fully electronic with no toll booths. I've been following this project as well as the Beltway project for years. They are going to be a huge benefit to this region. It's going to transform the way people commute....especially on the Beltway. I can understand while some current HOV users are a little nervous...but if you research HOT lanes in other state 75% + support them even if they never use the toll option or even drive on them. Will add atleast 30% capacity to the general lanes. Construction will be tough on the Beltway....not so tough on I395/95...but all worth the wait.
How will they differentiate between an HOV-3 car and a car that just wants to use the hot lanes for commuting? We already have people who cheat and use HOV solo, and I don't mean the Hybrid or Motorcycle folks.

Old 04-09-2009, 07:05 PM

80 posts, read 238,005 times
They will have occupancy detection and privately funded law enforcement. There won't be cheating on these lanes! Visit www.virginiahotlanes.com for more info. They got a lot of detail on that site. The amount of technology involved is amazing and makes a lot of sense. The 20% who cheat on the lanes today will go down to about 0% and will be replaced by toll paying customers. So in the end...they will still be free flowing. There is no cap on the toll so using market based principles they can change it every 6 minutes if necessary to discourage toll paying customers from entering the lanes. Every decision we make is based on supply and demand. The system will work....Lot of my friends are actually excited about the new buses and park and lots they are building as part of the project....they are going to take the bus and not even worry about driving.

Old 07-15-2009, 09:48 AM

1 posts, read 2,413 times
I live in Parkfairfax and will be negatively affected by they addition of a HOT lane and Shirlington circle revamp at 395. Not only is this proposal doing a great discredit to Virginia taxpayers, it is going to decimate several neighborhoods that are designated as National Historical Districts. The prediction is that each homeowner could lose up to $50,000 in equity as construction ruins the environment. If the proposal goes forward as planned, our (reasonably) quiet neighborhood will be run over with commuters jumping off 395 before the 14th St. Bridge. Not to mention that the failing bridge cannot accommodate any more traffic. Also, we have done extensive research on Transurban and they are not a reputable company. They are a for-profit company that is trying to negotiate a billion dollar deal at the expense of Virginia residents.
There have been no studies done by VDOT or the private companies on the real impact to the local residents. The only studies that have been done are projecting how much money Transurban is going to make if the deal goes thru. For example, should someone be caught violating the law on the HOT lane, the fines do not go to benefit Virginia, but go directly to the private companies.

I do have a NIMBY here in my lap but it goes much further than that. This is not good for the state of Virginia in general.

Old 07-15-2009, 10:59 AM

131 posts, read 426,059 times
HOT lanes are a bad idea, building new ones is bad enough, changing the HOV to HOT is a horrible idea.

instead of slugging, carpooling, taking the bus, more people will just drive themselves. that means more cars on the road, so overall efficiency is hurt, unless more roads/road widening is done. If more cars on the HOT/HOV lanes makes them slower, the incentive to use the high occupancy options drops more. Eventually, it could kill the slugging system, private carpools and the buses.

Certainly the company that runs the deal will make a killing. and I suppose people that don't mind dropping hundreds or thousands in extra tolls could benefit. The state could get extra money for leasing the lanes, but IMO it could be offset but the additional issues that come with a system that promotes MORE NET TRAFFIC on the roads. I don't see any benefit to normal people.

why bother with all this if the system currently on 95/395 already works pretty well?

Old 08-18-2009, 07:41 AM

8 posts, read 15,418 times
Are you F'ing kidding me, now they delayed the project? We need sound protection on the 395! There are absolutely no sound barriers on 395. Traffic will increase and just show itself by more traffic on 395. Delaying this project will not decrease traffic on the roads, if anything it will just increase on the local ones, so I don't know why people are complaining so much. Shirlington traffic should not be a reason to delay and possibly cancel the whole project! Meanwhile, the 495 expansion is full steam, causes delays all the way to 270 every single day and McLean rich folks get their extra exit. This is such BS
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia