Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 01:35 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times

Advertisements

If you spring for a Wizards ticket, you might see Obama.

Obama family good for D.C. tourism - CNN.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2009, 02:17 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromVAtoNC View Post

The chosen one?! Really?!! You don't say?!! LOL! Kidding!

Old 04-10-2009, 02:20 PM

Ouch! It's 40-minutes to the Potomac Nationals and an hour to the Frederick Keys? Oh well! I can certainly stomach this (and probably will because I love baseball), but I was hoping to find some minor-league sporting events nearer to Herndon. I'm surprised Leesburg doesn't have anything yet (like the "Loudoun Lions" or something) given the gang-busters growth out that way. What about hockey? Is it basically just the Capitals?

Old 04-10-2009, 02:40 PM

Holy muffins! $40 to park at a Nationals game?! Are they insane?! Is everyone down in DC a multi-millionaire! Holy crow! Holy cow! Holy Fish Sticks!

Old 04-10-2009, 03:28 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,345,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Holy muffins! $40 to park at a Nationals game?! Are they insane?! Is everyone down in DC a multi-millionaire! Holy crow! Holy cow! Holy Fish Sticks!
I assume you were talking about me when referring to former Scranton area transplants. I apologize if you were offended by any comments made. I was just trying to give insight from someone who has made the exact same move (at the exact same age I might add) 4 years ago.

Anyway, the easiest way to get to the Nats games is by metro. You'd be amazed at how fast you can get in and out of that place via metro. It's a great looking stadium...I definitely recommend checking it out.

The only minor league baseball team I know of in NOVA is the Potomac Nationals, but they aren't much closer than the pro Nationals. They're located in Woodbridge if you're interested in seeing any of their games.

Old 04-10-2009, 03:44 PM

482 posts, read 1,371,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromVAtoNC View Post

Just wait until next Christmas. I hear he'll be the "Goat Herder" in a "Living Nativity Scene," beside the National Christmas Tree.

Old 04-10-2009, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird82 View Post
I assume you were talking about me when referring to former Scranton area transplants. I apologize if you were offended by any comments made. I was just trying to give insight from someone who has made the exact same move (at the exact same age I might add) 4 years ago.

Anyway, the easiest way to get to the Nats games is by metro. You'd be amazed at how fast you can get in and out of that place via metro. It's a great looking stadium...I definitely recommend checking it out.

The only minor league baseball team I know of in NOVA is the Potomac Nationals, but they aren't much closer than the pro Nationals. They're located in Woodbridge if you're interested in seeing any of their games.
I was actually referencing another member who chastised me from a parental perspective when putting me "beneath" his/her own son in an attempt to under-cut my self-esteem, but I'd rather not bring back any hard feelings since I don't want any more flaring tempers to be re-ignited from what was in hindsight mountains that were made out of mole hills.

The ticket prices for the Nationals are actually much more reasonable than I was anticipating from a major-league franchise, so if given the option I'd rather go there than to see the Potomac Nationals. I could drive from Herndon to the West Falls Church or Vienna Metro Stations and then take mass transit right to the stadium. I just couldn't believe that people are actually foolish enough to pay $40 to park at an attached garage when I believe we paid $5 the last time to park at our city's minor-league Yankees stadium!

Old 04-10-2009, 04:18 PM

1,152 posts, read 3,199,925 times
Yeah we had a guy from the Potomac Nationals come speak at one of our Kiwanis meetings. Sounds like they did fairly well last years, and also sounds like they have some extremely great bargains on tickets and such.

I'm considering them as a date possibility myself, as their season gets going a bit.

Old 04-10-2009, 04:33 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,680,916 times
I wasn't trying to undercut your self-esteem, Scran-Barre, just trying to give you a reality check. Just realize that you're not in Kansas anymore (or Scranton). Actually Kansas is where my son is moving to but he's going with a postive attitude, realizing that it's where he chose to move for a job, like you, and is going to enjoy the positive differences and accept the negative ones as just part of real life instead of ranting about them before he even arrives there. In any case I'm glad you're more upbeat about your move now.

As for the Nationals, if you decide to drive (not necessarily you since you prefer Metro but anyone else reading this), you can park for free at RFK (and have a tailgate party there if you want) and ride the free Nats Express bus to the stadium:

Directions to Nationals Park | nationals.com: Ballpark

Obama will be throwing out the first pitch on Monday so if anyone is planning to go, arrive early to go through security.

Old 04-10-2009, 04:44 PM

482 posts, read 1,371,471 times
Remember: NO STANDING ON THE BUS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia