U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 11:02 AM

21 posts, read 82,647 times

Advertisements

Hi My husband will be transferring to Dahlgren Naval Base in Dahlgren,VA in Jan 2010. We have been through Dahlgren on the way to our hometown of St Marys County, MD and know that there is absolutely NOTHING there! So we have been looking into purchasing a home somewhere close by to the base that has more shopping etc.

The Fredericksburg VA area appears to be very promising thus far. It looks like its about 40-45 min from Dahlgren, which isnt too bad of a commute but we would prefer not to get too much further than 45 minutes away. We are looking to purchase a residential home with a max budget of 350k but would obviously love to find something nice and less expensive Does anyone have any suggestions for areas/ subdivisions/streets etc that have nice homes in that area and price range? Some of the things on our wishlist: We do not want I-95 literally in our backyard, not too much crime, decent schools, shopping & we would like to be able to have a fenced backyard for our dog.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Including real estate info or contacts. Again, we dont want to live anywhere further than 45 minutes away from Dahlgren Naval Base. Which counties could accomodate that preference? Thanks Again
Kind Regards
Wendy Harvey
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2009, 01:15 PM

38 posts, read 113,373 times
Some neighborhoods to look at would be along rt. 218 or rt. 3 in south Stafford because you can take those roads pretty much all the way to Dahlgren. Nice neighborhoods in your price range to look at would be Cannon Ridge, Little Whim, Brookstone, Ridgepoint, Hamlin Hills, North Clearview Heights, Clearview Heights (older but nice neighborhood) and theres some new homes in Ferry Farms which is a little bit of older of a community. These neighborhoods are in an area with not tons of shopping. Theres grocery stores, fast food restaurants, cvs, gas stations, and a walmart, but your still only 10 mins or so from the core of stores in Fredericksburg. Pretty much all schools in this area are pretty good. Hope that helps.

Old 04-29-2009, 06:01 AM

250 posts, read 823,609 times
My husband is also at dahlgren NB and we live in fburg. A good agent is lindsay cosimano Your Team I have also worked with hilary and they are FABULOUS. Tell her I refered you (my name is Tina). Anyhow...the commute is EASY, you can easily find a home in your budget. We have about .40 acre, 3500 sf home, fenced backyard, built in 2005 5 bed 3 bath home and its off route 3. There is another new development on the southern end near cosners corner/southpoint called lee's parke the falls which seems nice but the yards are not nearly as big but the homes are nice and its close to everything. The places east of the 95 are older and west of the 95 are newer. Its a nice area though and dahlgren is very pretty and yes-rural but very nice.

Old 04-29-2009, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by militarymom View Post
My husband is also at dahlgren NB and we live in fburg. A good agent is lindsay cosimano Your Team I have also worked with hilary and they are FABULOUS. Tell her I refered you (my name is Tina). Anyhow...the commute is EASY, you can easily find a home in your budget. We have about .40 acre, 3500 sf home, fenced backyard, built in 2005 5 bed 3 bath home and its off route 3. There is another new development on the southern end near cosners corner/southpoint called lee's parke the falls which seems nice but the yards are not nearly as big but the homes are nice and its close to everything. The places east of the 95 are older and west of the 95 are newer. Its a nice area though and dahlgren is very pretty and yes-rural but very nice.

hi, thank you so much for the information. its funny that you referred lindsay cosimano because thats who we've been in contact with for the last weeks she has been wonderful. were still not even 100% positive that we will be transferring up there at the end of this year. the navys funding has been cut and as you may know, there has been a hold put on transfers until oct of this year so its been a mess. So your home is off route three? are you in a subdivision? I have been diligently researching the areas around f'burg but am having such a hard time finding a place that will be a 45 min or less commute to dahlgren and 10 min or less to shopping like central park. lindsay has been sending us lots of info on homes in king george va but thats just a little too far from f'burg. we would prefer to be closer to town. i will have to look into lees parke. I have also noticed what you mentioned about a lot of the new construction being to the weat of 95. I dont know if we want to be over there since the commute to dahlgren might be a hugeee pain for david. about how long is your husbands commute from where your living in fredersicksburg?? thanks again for the all the info, we really appreciate all the help we can get it.

Old 04-29-2009, 08:35 AM

varunner,
thank you so much for listing all of the subdivisions in a convenient location. I will have to look into each of those!

Old 04-29-2009, 09:34 AM

Unless you live in king george your commute will be about the same whether you are south like in lee's parke the falls, lee's hill, stafford areas, off route 3 (which mind you lindsay didn't seem fond of). The reason is because its a smaller highway taking you out to dahlgren and the commute to get to that highway whether its stafford south on the 95 or spotys from route three in...will all be pretty much the same. I recall looking for homes and clocking distances and it all popped up the same amount of time.
Keep in mind Lindsay lives in king george so Im sure she is partial and they do have some enormous gorgeous homes there, its just a little too small town for my liking personally. King george does have similar schools as stafford/spotys would but the look a little newer. My husband takes 3 right in and people do ***** about the traffic on route three but it really is about 3 stop lights of it near all the shopping areas. As you get further west (we're off gordon road) there are some new subdivisions popping up even west of that but we're in salem fields a large subdivision with divisions within it as well. We have tennis courts, a pool, play structures etc. I have clocked the time it takes to the 95 from gordon road (look on google) and at 8am it took me 5 minutes. I also did it at 5pm and it took 9 minutes. For me and extra 10 min isn't bad if it even takes that long.
There are alot of options around here and alot of nice looking neighborhoods. Have you looked at realtor.com? Or military by owner?
Couple things to keep in mind. Most homes will have a basement, some do not. Not sure if you're wanting that or not but ask. Also some homes don't have automatic garage doors. Now I thought in 2009 this is a standard feature of the newer built homes but apparently it is not. Also, alot and I mean ALOT of the newer homes do not have a patio slab of concrete or deck at all. They have their basement open to the backyard with nothing other than grass. I am used to spending all day outside so it was a MUST for us to have some sort of outdoor personal space. This was oddly enough, more difficult to find than I thought. Many homes have it, many do not.

Old 04-29-2009, 12:45 PM

I actually think we might be happier on or near 3 than we would be closer to 95. route 3 is aka kings highway correct?? Out of curiousity, can you hear or see I95 from your subdivision? I would prefer to stay somewhere more rural jsut outside of town.. this area seems a little confusing lol i think we just need to make a trip over there one weekend and see the different areas for ourselves, its hard to judge how close or far apart places really are just looking at mapquest. btw, how long is your husbands morning commute to dahlgren??
Thanks for the websites, I will have to check those out also, thanks for the pointers about garages & patios. We would prefer to have a deck or patio but i suppose that sort of thing could always be built later. The utmost importance for us is actually having a decent sized backyard since we have a very high energy shiba inu and she will need somewhere fenced to get her exercise. Also, concerning the garages i am rather surprised to hear that not all are automatic! i had no idea that this type of thing wasnt a standard feature on new homes these days, wow. I will have to look into that when we were start looking at homes, thanks again

Old 04-30-2009, 12:03 PM

No we can't see or hear 95 at all, in fact its wicked quiet almost scary. Probably the quiest house we've ever lived in. Commute from gordon road off route 3 to the base in dahlgren takes about 40 min and that was in rain. Not bad. Is route 3 called kings hwy? I dont even know. Im newer to town myself but it seems like they use numbered roads out here more than names which Im not used to. I know hwy 1/17 is called jefferson davis hwy but again locals have only used "one" or " seventeen" in reference to those. It IS confusing. Are you guys far away? A trip to househunt always is best bet because then you can see for yourself. There are lots of options here though and in general the place as a whole seems safe.
have fun!

Old 07-26-2009, 08:09 PM

6 posts, read 10,881 times
Default King George

We live in King George in a subdivision called Presidential Lakes and love it. We used to live in Helen, near Mechanicsville, St. Mary's County, MD and one of our sons still lives there. Dahlgren is a 15 minute commute, and Fredericksburg is 17 miles west of here. You are close enough to the shopping and far enough away from the congestion.

Our neighborhood is mixed, with 30 year old homes and brand new homes, ours is 5 years old this November. We have 6 bedrooms, office, formal dining room, full finished walk out basement to a stone patio, and maintenance free deck off of the kitchen. Admittedly, we are over built for the neighborhood, but love it. The Grocery store and Post Office are directly across the street from the development, right on RT 3, with a Subway, Dominoes, Vince's Italian Restaurant, a veterinarian etc. so we are quaint but complete.

Old 08-27-2009, 01:14 PM

3 posts, read 7,375 times
Hello:

My name is Sheila Carter and I'm a realtor with Exit Realty. I can help you with your search to Fredericksburg and find you a very nice home if you'd like. Please contact me at 571-238-9244.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia