Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 09:14 AM

573 posts, read 2,505,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
We had the biggest issue when my wife first moved to VA from PA. We were soon to be married and she was driving a car that belonged to her parents in PA. She received a notice from the police dept. that she needed to register the car in PW County because it had been in the county for so many days. When we went to do so it was a big run around since the car wasn't titled in her name. They wanted the car registered under the owner's name, so we put down her parents and their PA address. That was no good...they wanted the VA address. So we started to do that and the lady told us we couldn't because that wasn't the address on the title. We were getting frustrated and she said, "Well, I don't know what you are waiting for... why don't you just title it in your name?" Yeah right, wouldn't that be nice if I could borrow a car and take ownership of it?
exactly. the car is not titled in my name which is why I'm trying to avoid registering it...it's not mine. and I'm not a freeloader so thanks...I'll be working, paying taxes, bills and rent here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2009, 10:05 AM

4,709 posts, read 12,673,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legs1357 View Post
exactly. the car is not titled in my name which is why I'm trying to avoid registering it...it's not mine. and I'm not a freeloader so thanks...I'll be working, paying taxes, bills and rent here.

Okay whatever, but a little advice. The VA student exemption only applies to FULL TIME, UNEMPLOYED non-resident students, enrolled in VIRGINIA schools.

So, if stopped by the cops, don't give yourself away!

Old 04-18-2009, 10:47 AM

2,497 posts, read 3,404,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
Actually, I hate ALL freeloaders, military or civilian. But, several others had already jumped the OP on that score, so I figured why pile on?
Has that *ever* stopped you before?

You have a wealth of background information, as a native northern Virginian.

Many of your posts reflect an intolerance of newcomers unless they are from Europe or Australia and are diplomats or higher level corporate employees. Those folks get plenty of supportive posts, filled with sugared words and sunshine!

You are very biased against military families. Yet the military/govt. families working here definitely support northern Virginia's economy, and the value of your real estate purchases. I can agree with some of your posts as "tubby" on the other forum, but your limited viewpoints generally do not help new people coming from other areas of the United States. You seem able to see things only as a "northern Virginian."

For Legs: Since the car title is not in your name, it seems like that would prevent you from registering it here in Virginia. It would just need to have its current state registration up-to-date.

Last edited by Fern435; 04-18-2009 at 11:34 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 04-18-2009, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern435 View Post
....You are very biased against military families....

Yep, I guess you could say that. (and judging by the rep points I've gotten, I'm not alone). I've just been around here so long, I guess.

It's the arrogance....they come in here and want to take over the schools, sports leagues, even Scout troops. You know, to save us bumpkins from ourselves.

And the "We are heroes" stuff we have to listen to 24/7. I'm sorry, my heroes are the men and women of my father's generation...pop commanded a B-17 at the tender age of 23 and flew 25 bombing missions over Germany. When Hitler was defeated, he and his comrades re-entered civilian life at their earliest opportunity.

Those are my heroes, not the guys sipping martinis at the Belvoir O Club after a morning on the links.

Okay, I'm done with this...back to talking about license plates!

Old 04-18-2009, 01:48 PM

11 posts, read 54,611 times
Okay VA has been analyzed --how about the pros/cons of registering in MD in terms of taxes/fees/car insurance?

Old 04-18-2009, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Yep, I guess you could say that. (and judging by the rep points I've gotten, I'm not alone). I've just been around here so long, I guess.

It's the arrogance....they come in here and want to take over the schools, sports leagues, even Scout troops. You know, to save us bumpkins from ourselves.

And the "We are heroes" stuff we have to listen to 24/7. I'm sorry, my heroes are the men and women of my father's generation...pop commanded a B-17 at the tender age of 23 and flew 25 bombing missions over Germany. When Hitler was defeated, he and his comrades re-entered civilian life at their earliest opportunity.

Those are my heroes, not the guys sipping martinis at the Belvoir O Club after a morning on the links.

Okay, I'm done with this...back to talking about license plates!

All generalizations. And incredibly inaccurate, outdated ones at that.
You experienced a herd of military families who tried to take over your children's schools and scout troops many years ago. That does not mean it is the same atmosphere in northern Virginia today.

Fairfax County Public Schools are being hijacked by another posse of parents these days....

Cliches like "martinis at the Belvoir O Club after a morning on the links" show how dated your thinking is! And you are assuming every military family is exactly the same as the awful ones you encountered years ago.

I am willing to say there are some wonderful, gracious people here in noVA, but apparently you are not one of them.

Last edited by Fern435; 04-18-2009 at 02:25 PM..

Old 04-18-2009, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJacobs View Post
Okay VA has been analyzed --how about the pros/cons of registering in MD in terms of taxes/fees/car insurance?
Maryland has cheaper fees but higher insurance rates than Virginia, according to most people.

Old 04-18-2009, 04:56 PM

11 posts, read 54,611 times
When is the 4.5% annual tax due/requested/payable? Can't seem to find it on the VA DMV web site. Is it calculated from the MSRP/Trade In or private sale value? Can you pay this in installments?

All of these fees are crippling. The new job already doesn't offer health ins (and we'll be buying it privately). Metro fees to DC daily are going to be extreme -and we can't afford to live closer. To top it off, we have the added expense of daycare. HELP!!!

Old 04-18-2009, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJacobs View Post
When is the 4.5% annual tax due/requested/payable? Can't seem to find it on the VA DMV web site. Is it calculated from the MSRP/Trade In or private sale value? Can you pay this in installments?

All of these fees are crippling. The new job already doesn't offer health ins (and we'll be buying it privately). Metro fees to DC daily are going to be extreme -and we can't afford to live closer. To top it off, we have the added expense of daycare. HELP!!!

The dreaded "car tax" you hear so much about is a LOCAL tax...a County or City tax (but never both). It's proper name is "personal property" tax. That is why the DMV website has little or no info on it, as DMV is a STATE agency. The only tax that DMV collects is the one-time Sales tax when you buy a car. Pretty much all States have this tax....and if you paid it elsewhere, you don't pay it again here

The Counties' and Cities' car tax rules can vary widely, so you really have to go to the website of the locality in which you reside.

Here's Fairfax County's: Motor Vehicles*- Fairfax County, Virginia

Edited to add: I have a summer place on the Chesapeake Bay in Maryland and I love it...but the OVERALL tax burden is considerably higher than Virginia. Car ownership is much less onerous in Maryland. I have several vehicles registered there and you basically just renew the plates every other year....no taxes (after the initial sales tax) and no inspections. I'm in a rural area of Md, so insurance isn't too bad, but I hear it is horrendous in the DC and Baltimore suburbs...like twice to three times what it is in Nova.

Basically, I wouldn't decide (MD vs. VA) based on car stuff, there are much more important considerations.

Last edited by car54; 04-18-2009 at 05:40 PM..

Old 04-18-2009, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Edited to add: I have a summer place on the Chesapeake Bay in Maryland and I love it...but the OVERALL tax burden is considerably higher than Virginia. Car ownership is much less onerous in Maryland. I have several vehicles registered there and you basically just renew the plates every other year....no taxes (after the initial sales tax) and no inspections. I'm in a rural area of Md, so insurance isn't too bad, but I hear it is horrendous in the DC and Baltimore suburbs...like twice to three times what it is in Nova.

Military/civilians in Virginia who register vehicles in other states are "freeloaders," according to you, but it is OK for *you* to register your cars in rural Maryland.

Interesting set of double standards.

RJacobs--the Virginia "car tax" is due in October.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia