U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 04:19 PM

240 posts, read 171,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Storm Drainage Easements*- Fairfax County, Virginia

How much more do I have to beat a dead horse?!
There's sidewalks all over Northern Virginia, as has been said before. In fact parts of Reston have got to be one of the more walkable areas around. I have to agree with Normie's post above, unfortunately.

Old 04-21-2009, 07:40 AM

2,688 posts, read 5,947,987 times
Now some of you see why, when Scran-Barre first came here to the NoVA forum, I commented that his monopolization of the Northeast Pennsylvania forum drove me away from there.

Old 04-21-2009, 10:13 AM

697 posts, read 2,020,032 times
I'm not sure about everywhere in NoVA, but usually there are sidewalks almost everywhere within the Greater DC area. You shouldn't really have much of a problem walking around neighborhoods, and I know you are not going to run over someone's garden or something.

You also have to remember that many urban amenities come with time. Things don't just pop up in 1 or 2 years. While a decade may seem like a long time for a person, it's actually a very short time for a community. Many urban areas and cities have experienced growth a hundred years ago or more. Reston and Herndon, while they have been around for some time, only started to really grow in the last 15 years. The Dulles Metro expansion may still be a few years away, but at least it is being implemented right now as we speak. And the completion date of 4 years (of Phase I where Reston will have access) may seem like a long time, but it really isn't as you get older. It goes by faster than you think.

Old 04-21-2009, 10:30 AM

18,717 posts, read 26,811,412 times
Thousands of people go jogging here every day and somehow they figure out ways to do it without needing to trample across yards and flower beds. If they can figure it out, you can too.

This is a faux "problem" that the OP is trying to create so he can have an excuse to run across people's lawns instead of using the Reston paths. If you want to imagine it could be a problem, be my guest--but it would be a case of your imagination running away with you. Sort of like when you imagined all the people at RTC were staring at you.

Think about it this way, if there really was a problem with joggers in Virginia getting hit by cars you'd hear about it. For pete's sake, if a kid gets hurt in my neighborhood, everyone knows by the end of the day. Any traffic incident where someone is hurt makes it onto the nightly news. The joggers here are smart, they can figure out how to run safely using the paths. So can you.

Old 04-21-2009, 11:09 AM

2,688 posts, read 5,947,987 times
Most people have enough brains to figure out where it's safe to walk and run without damaging the greenery. Not quite everyone, apparently.

With regard to everyone at RTC who was allegedly staring at him, I think the saying applies: you wouldn't worry so much about what people think about you if you knew how seldom they actually did.

Warning: he'll probably come back to talk about his low self-esteem ...

Old 04-21-2009, 11:24 AM

I see joggers all the time running in the roadway as opposed to the sidewalk - I assume because the roadway surface is smoother and they prefer asphalt to concrete. This whole thing is a non-issue. Not only that, Verizon is laying FIOS all over the place around here. When they dig up their right of way through your lawn or rip up your driveway, they are required to repair it. I'm not saying they are going to replant flowers, but they do have to fix the grass. If a jogger repeatedly runs over your lawn over time, it will wear out a path in it, obviously. However, I have never seen a jogger running through a person's lawn - again I see a lot of them running in the road probably because they prefer asphalt to concrete.

I can see this forum is going to be fun in the future - if it gets taken over like it appears it might I'll have to stop reading it unfortunately. Up until now it has really been a great forum for Northern Virginia. Sadly, in the last week or two reading the posts about what kind of cars people drive, posers at restaurants on a Friday night, the alleged lack of sidwalks in an area that has miles and miles of walking/jogging trails - I agree with Normie. Finally, there are some people out there who just look for trouble and are genuinely unpleasant to be around. They also like to hear themselves talk, and with the huge volume of posts compared to most other posters, it seems to be a bit that way.

Old 04-21-2009, 11:26 AM

One hopes the moderator would close this particular thread down. Everyone who lives here agrees, this entire thread is about a bunch of non-issues.

Old 04-21-2009, 11:27 AM

1,261 posts, read 5,041,565 times
The ignore button works wonders... are we going to let someone take over the NOVA Forum? I mean come on... how many threads do we really need about sidewalks?!?

Old 04-21-2009, 11:28 AM

OK, I just tried looking for the ignore button but I can't find it. I looked all over the individual post and hovered over every icon. So clue me in, where is it?

Old 04-21-2009, 11:29 AM

7,965 posts, read 18,029,485 times
It does appear that this thread is focusing on the (in)ability to jog along suburban roads, something that has been covered in another thread.

Consider this thread closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia