U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 02:26 PM

3,503 posts, read 7,906,796 times

Advertisements

Verizon left a lot of dead patches of lawn at my house. They dont dig themselves - they have subcontractors do it. They cut out cable line but repaired it quickly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2009, 02:28 PM

10,587 posts, read 12,057,892 times
They ruined three driveways in my neighborhood. Mine was one of them. It took an act of Congress to get it fixed and it looks like crap.

Old 04-21-2009, 02:29 PM

Oh, and I meant to add that we did not know our driveways were ruined until the first very cold day. The laid the FIOS wires under the driveway but did not dig deep enough. First very cold night, the three of us had a frost heave and our driveways cracked and buckled where the wire went over. You won't know if they did a good/bad job until it gets very cold.

Old 04-21-2009, 02:50 PM

15,400 posts, read 25,756,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Oh, and I meant to add that we did not know our driveways were ruined until the first very cold day. The laid the FIOS wires under the driveway but did not dig deep enough. First very cold night, the three of us had a frost heave and our driveways cracked and buckled where the wire went over. You won't know if they did a good/bad job until it gets very cold.
A very cold day? How long ago did they do your neighborhood? We just had ours done.

Old 04-21-2009, 03:39 PM

240 posts, read 171,514 times
In regards to FIOS installation, I got it in Manassas in my old townhouse when I lived there. Before that I had Verizon DSL. The tech that came and did the installation was great and everything worked right away. However, billing was another story. They kept billing me for DSL even though my DSL line was turned off at the same time FIOS was turned on! This went on for 9 months, and I had to go through many many phone calls and many hours over the 9 month period until they stopped billing and refunded my money.

Then, when I moved out of the house, I gave them my new Gainesville address and while I was doing automatic monthly payments and using online billing, they cut off my online account and stopped my monthly payment. They never sent me a final bill, and then I got a notice from a collection agency saying I owed Verizon $69.11. That actually showed up on my credit report of course! Now I'm fighting to get it removed from my credit report as I paid it right away as soon as I found out about it, even though I still have not seen a final bill, and I don't even think $69.11 is what I owed them. Verizon billing is a disaster, and good luck getting anyone sympathetic until you finally get up several levels of management. At first you are talking to someone in India who is very apologetic but does nothing. The first American person you get is someone who isn't helpful at all and just sounds angry that you are wasting their time!

Anyway, FIOS itself is great, I've heard some installation horror stories but mine went very smoothly. Billing is another story, and if you currently have DSL and go to FIOS, good luck with that!

Old 04-21-2009, 03:41 PM

240 posts, read 171,514 times
While Verizon was installing FIOS (laying the fiber in the neighborhood), they interrupted their regular telephone service for nearly half a day one time! I don't know about Comcast interruption - as I was using DirecTV for the TV and Verizon for phone and DSL.

I can't wait for Verizon FIOS to get to Gainesville, but it may be several years depending on what part of Gainesville they hit first.

Old 04-21-2009, 03:53 PM

30,067 posts, read 67,117,214 times
Will Verizon FIOS be accessible throughout NoVA soon? I'm not sure if my current complex has this service available, but I know we can definitely subscribe to either Cox Communications or Comcast. If it came down between Comcast, Cox, or Verizon FIOS, which one would you all pick for your high-speed Internet/cable/phone, and why? I currently have AT&T cellular phone service, but I'd be willing to transfer to Verizon if it would prove to be financially advantageous for me to do so in conjunction with some sort of bundle package for the other utilities. To be honest I can always stick with my AT&T cell plan, forgo a home phone line, and even forgo cable television. However, I NEED high-speed Internet access for work and leisure alike. Which company is the most reliable in that respect? The best value?

Old 04-21-2009, 05:11 PM

381 posts, read 1,227,455 times
We had Verizon FiOS at our last house. I LOVED it, and was disappointed when it wasn't available at our new place. It was a lot less expensive than Comcast, or satellite, with more features. The intstallation took less than a day (maybe 4 hours?) and went smoothly. The service itself was fabulous. Their customer service is TERRIBLE.

Old 04-21-2009, 05:23 PM

427 posts, read 972,349 times
Verizon's contractors did terrible things to my parents' yard in Oak Hill when they laid the cables. They did send contractors back out to repair what they'd torn up, but their "repairs" amounted to nothing. My dad just had to put it all back himself. And to add insult to injury, they somehow damaged the electrical supply to the house and my parents were without power for over 24 hours. Nice. They were, understandably, pretty peeved.

Old 04-21-2009, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
A very cold day? How long ago did they do your neighborhood? We just had ours done.
It was in 2007, in the fall. Then in January of 2008, after some very cold weather, I backed out of my driveway and felt a little hump that I had never felt before. Felt like I ran over my newspaper or something. Came home later that day and saw the little hump in my driveway with cracks running fully across the driveway on either side of the hump. The grass was still funny from the installation and so I could see it was the exact location of the FIOS cable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia