Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 11:39 PM

482 posts, read 1,372,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
I worked there for 5 years. There is NOTHING corrupt about Freddie Mac. Some of the leadership may have steered it into questionable transactions, but that is not corrupt.
corrupt definition | Dictionary.com

"A corrupt politician is one originally honest who has succumed to temptation and begun questionable practices"

It's not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2009, 05:14 AM

20 posts, read 7,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denton56 View Post
Not only are you extremely annoying, your posts run off the page, forcing readers to scan back and forth.

Please, do everyone a favor, give us all a break, and post on another board, someplace far, far, away from NOVA.

Thank you.
Looks like he's gone, on another thread he claimed he was leaving because people didn't like his posts saying negative things about Northern VA. It was not really about that, it was about the WAY he said them, and he did make attacks on people and did a whole lot of name calling along the way. What is funny is in his last post he said the moderator told him to be "less confrontational"! Seems like he didn't learn. If he was more respectful in posting things he thought needed improvement about Northern VA that would be one thing.

Old 04-23-2009, 05:26 AM

2,498 posts, read 3,405,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Anyway, back to the bit about controlling... Hey, if you want to discuss something go ahead and discuss it.

The way I see it, you were trying to direct the conversation by promoting your assumption that this man is a symbol of "people pressured to be ambitious, successful, and not show any signs of weakness. How many other people are beginning to crack on the inside?" Your words, not mine.

I simply pointed out a flaw in your logic. Why didn't you just ignore me and continue with your discussion? You know... that kind of reaction could also be interpreted as controlling on your part .

But, before we get silly about this--does any of it matter? Like I said, no offense taken. I have no power over you, just like you have no power over me. If you want to draw a conclusion that this guy represents people in NOVA "beginning to crack on the inside" go ahead. I think you're making a wrong assumption (and being a bit overly dramatic), but don't let that stop you.
Classic narcissist.

The damage control post.

My question is a valid concern: How many other people are beginning to crack around here? If someone is genuinely valued, why shouldn't that person be able to get help before it comes to this? Isn't that what a community should be about?

Last edited by Fern435; 04-23-2009 at 05:36 AM..

Old 04-23-2009, 06:44 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,086,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern435 View Post
You write sloppy posts.
Isn't it strictly against the TOS to attack each other for writing ability? I've seen this a few times here lately, maybe it's time to nip it in the bud.

IMO, sneering at typos or grammar is a cheap tactic for people who can't find a way to counter an argument. Let's focus on talking about the topic instead of attacking each other. We all communicate as best we can. Typos are easy to make and some people are busy at work, with no time to go back and fix their grammar.

By the way, I like your writing style, normie, it's breezy. I like the dots... and the dashes--and the way you use italics. In fact, I've started writing that way myself. But most of all, I like that you use paragraphs. IMO, the posts that are sloppy are the ones with 10 sentences in one long paragraph. Breaking it up makes it much easier to read.

Old 04-23-2009, 06:55 AM

4,437 posts, read 8,131,234 times
If his suicide can be linked to his job, then I think it's dumb that he killed himself over a job. I've never worked a job worth killing myself over. My last job I quit after working there for 7yrs. I had no job lined up, but I still quit because it was too draining. I still had a mortgage and a car note to pay. I took 2 weeks for myself and my motorcycle, then went job hunting. I found a job in 2 weeks and couldn't be happier. I can't understand how some people can define themselves by what they do for a living.

Anyways, I think suicide is a stupid thing to do. You hurt the people you leave behind more than you hurt yourself.

Old 04-23-2009, 07:02 AM

240 posts, read 221,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromVAtoNC View Post
Isn't it strictly against the TOS to attack each other for writing ability? I've seen this a few times here lately, maybe it's time to nip it in the bud.

IMO, sneering at typos or grammar is a cheap tactic for people who can't find a way to counter an argument. Let's focus on talking about the topic instead of attacking each other. We all communicate as best we can. Typos are easy to make and some people are busy at work, with no time to go back and fix their grammar.

By the way, I like your writing style, normie, it's breezy. I like the dots... and the dashes--and the way you use italics. In fact, I've started writing that way myself. But most of all, I like that you use paragraphs. IMO, the posts that are sloppy are the ones with 10 sentences in one long paragraph. Breaking it up makes it much easier to read.
I'd like to say I like Normie's posts too! Keep it up Normie!

Old 04-23-2009, 07:03 AM

240 posts, read 221,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneasterisk View Post
If his suicide can be linked to his job, then I think it's dumb that he killed himself over a job. I've never worked a job worth killing myself over. My last job I quit after working there for 7yrs. I had no job lined up, but I still quit because it was too draining. I still had a mortgage and a car note to pay. I took 2 weeks for myself and my motorcycle, then went job hunting. I found a job in 2 weeks and couldn't be happier. I can't understand how some people can define themselves by what they do for a living.

Anyways, I think suicide is a stupid thing to do. You hurt the people you leave behind more than you hurt yourself.
Agreed, suicide is the cowardly way out and it hurts friends and family to a great degree. At the very least seek help before considering suicide. No job is worth committing suicide over, that's for sure.

Old 04-23-2009, 07:17 AM

I don't have a problem with suicide, myself. Especially for people who are sick, I have a lot fo sympathy for people facing a terminal illness and they're in pain. What I think it's wrong is when people don't leave a note. You want to die, well that's your choice. But make sure the people you love know what was troubling you, especially if your reason had nothing to do with them.

Like the other poster said, I can't imagine killing myself over a job. That just doesn't seem like enough of a reason. But everyone's different.

If one good thing comes from this sad story, at least it reminds us to take a moment to be kind to people under stress. Personally, I think life would be better for everyone if we could all resist the urge to lash out over little things. Instead we should try to pull together, and make sure people who are under stress know that they're appreciated and have value.

Also they said this morning that the media had been camping out near his house and harrassing him for months. I'll bet that had a role in all of this, and IMO that's wrong. Paparazzi killed Princess Diana, when are the press going to take responsibility for the damage they do. Makes me glad I've never had my name in the paper, that's for sure.

Old 04-23-2009, 07:32 AM

281 posts, read 1,008,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern435 View Post
My question is a valid concern: How many other people are beginning to crack around here? If someone is genuinely valued, why shouldn't that person be able to get help before it comes to this? Isn't that what a community should be about?
I think that a lot of people are beginning to "crack", as you put it. These are hard times, and I think a lot of people are desperate. Look at how many murders and murder-suicides have been on the news lately.

I agree with you that there should be help out there, and that people who are feeling overwhelmed and desperate should receive the help they need from their family, friends, colleagues etc. But we all know it doesn't work that way. Look at this message board - how quick we are to judge, degrade, berate. We sit here and say "That poor man - why didn't anyone help him?", and then the next post goes on about how the company he helped run, and the people working there, are so corrupt and terrible. Put yourself in his shoes - every day he's being judged. Every day he hears on the news how corrupt his company is. He had a security detail at his house! Every single day he's reminded of the role he may or may not have played in this whole financial mess, how his actions may have led to so many losing their jobs. That's a lot of weight for one man to carry. And then, even after his tragic death, we're judging him.

His death, and any suicide, is a tragedy. Some of these responses are very sad reflections on the human tendency to judge. We claim to be compassionate, but some of these posts lead me to believe otherwise.

I find it ironic how you ask why he had no support, no help, no compassion, and then you make a snarky remark to belittle someone who you don't even know. And you wonder why some people don't feel they are valued.

Old 04-23-2009, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by becwells View Post
I find it ironic how you ask why he had no support, no help, no compassion, and then you make a snarky remark to belittle someone who you don't even know. And you wonder why some people don't feel they are valued.
My opinion exactly. That deserves a rep point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia