Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 08:57 AM

74 posts, read 187,846 times

Advertisements

It looks like after over a year of searching we are going to have the choice of between two homes. One is in Blooms Crossing and the other is in Old Town Manassas. I would appreciate any thoughts to help us make the decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2009, 09:39 AM

240 posts, read 221,781 times
Manassas Park is having real budget problems, and what they did so far is for the first half of 2009 have taxed houses at their 2008 assessment and 2008 tax rate. The assessments have plummeted, and when they announce the new tax rate in the 2nd half of the year it will be very high. They started some very expensive construction projects while the economy was booming 2 years ago and now are paying the price for it.

If I had to pick between Manassas Park and the City of Manassas, or PWC, I'd pick either of those two over Manassas Park.

Other than for the local government, you have to compare the specific neighborhoods in question. Both of those are nice. I think for school systems, I'd take Manassas over Manassas Park.

Old 04-22-2009, 10:16 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,242,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdeitz View Post
Manassas Park is having real budget problems, and what they did so far is for the first half of 2009 have taxed houses at their 2008 assessment and 2008 tax rate. The assessments have plummeted, and when they announce the new tax rate in the 2nd half of the year it will be very high. They started some very expensive construction projects while the economy was booming 2 years ago and now are paying the price for it.

If I had to pick between Manassas Park and the City of Manassas, or PWC, I'd pick either of those two over Manassas Park.

Other than for the local government, you have to compare the specific neighborhoods in question. Both of those are nice. I think for school systems, I'd take Manassas over Manassas Park.

I'd 2nd this post.

Old 04-22-2009, 10:26 AM

74 posts, read 187,846 times
Thanks for the insight.

Both actual neighborhoods would seem to fit our needs and we would enjoy. The location of the Old Town home is fantastic, but we are giving up some ammendtities (garage, finished basement, kitchen needs some updating) that the other home provides.

Old 04-22-2009, 10:29 AM

240 posts, read 221,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TextileWolf View Post
Thanks for the insight.

Both actual neighborhoods would seem to fit our needs and we would enjoy. The location of the Old Town home is fantastic, but we are giving up some ammendtities (garage, finished basement, kitchen needs some updating) that the other home provides.
OK, I was a resident of Manassas for 25 years until last October when I bought a new single family house out in Gainesville. Did live in a townhouse just barely in the city limits of Manassas. If you have any other questions feel free to ask! Don't know much about Bloom Hills other than what I observed driving through it, but as noted, it is in Manassas Park which makes it a negative. I think if you have or will have children, Manassas schools are the better choice.

Old 04-22-2009, 10:38 AM

482 posts, read 1,371,933 times
Manassas Park Schools treat their employees like dirt. They may be the lowest paying District in the region. 12.50 per hour to drive a school bus? You've got to be kidding. It's a lot more like Appalachia, than FCPS.

Old 05-29-2009, 02:42 PM

1 posts, read 5,417 times
Blooms crossing is great, I live right across the street at Belmont station, and in my opinion it is a , well maintained, very family oriented, middle class community. Also, the new elementary school (Cougar Elem.) is fantastic!!

Old 06-10-2009, 07:43 AM

1 posts, read 5,311 times
Not sure where the posters above are getting info on schools but check the online resources for yourself via
[url=http://www.psk12.com/rating/USthreeRsphp/STATE_VA_level_High_CountyID_0_start_101.html]Ranking of High Schools in Virginia[/url]

Manassas Park is ranked at #111 while Manassas is ranked at #139

The Prince William school is ranked at #64 and was once a top school in the area.

You may want to look beyond the numbers as Manassas Park has a lower ratio of students to teachers and consistently pays their staff competitively. The Manassas HS (Osbourne) makes the news fairly often - 5 students caught having sex in the gym, teachers selling drugs, etc. Even if both systems were equal, I would probably opt for private schools in the Manassas area.

The budget problem stated is somewhat accurate but resembles long-term debt that included rebuilding all of the schools. The net result for Manassas Park is that they went from years with a $1M surplus with lower taxes to one of the higher tax rates due to foreclosures and a mayor that invested too heavily in the schools. A new Town Center is almost complete and should boost property values in the area but that could be a risk with today's market.

Old 06-10-2009, 08:39 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,962,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TextileWolf View Post
Thanks for the insight.

The first three things we learn in evaluating a home: Location. Location. Location. You can update and/or remodel a home but you can't change the location.

Old 06-10-2009, 09:02 AM

385 posts, read 1,260,692 times
The teacher selling drugs (to other teachers) was at Osbourn Park in PWCS, which is actually decent.
The band Director from MCPS is doing 4 years (of a 20 year sentence) for sex crimes against children.
Convicted Manassas Teacher had a prior...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia