U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2009, 01:54 PM

2,674 posts, read 6,237,402 times

Advertisements

Anyone use AAA Trash for their trash company? I got my bill this month and there was a Commodity Surcharge of $4.80. I didn't know what it was so I called and they said that PWC makes them recycle. Well they usually take the recycled materials and resell them to companies that process them. Many of those companies are not buying the materials so AAA Trash is stuck with storing them till they can resell them. This storage is passed onto customers through a Commodity Surcharge. I was told that it'd only be a few months. I asked if since they are making money off the recycled goods, that they are basically getting for free then would I get a refund once they sell off the material. I was told no. $4.80 isn't a big deal, but dang it seems like everyone is nickel and diming us these days.

Don't even get me started on the fuel surcharge that they're still charging. Gas prices have gone down a lot so I don't think they should still be charging it. I don't charge my employer an extra hour every week because gas went up, instead I budgeted for the difference.

I'll have to call around to see what else is available. I pay $44.07 for 3 months worth of service. $6.81 fuel surcharge and now the $4.80 commodity charge. According to the guy I talked to, I've got the cheaper rates at $14.69 a month. What do all use and how much?

What do others use in the area, and what are your costs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2009, 01:57 PM

614 posts, read 1,053,890 times
AAA is the same here in FFX County: $4.80 commodity surcharge (and a $7+ fuel surcharge). I pay a lot more than you do though for twice weekly pickup.

Old 04-22-2009, 01:58 PM

6,226 posts, read 6,821,354 times
I dumped AAA because they missed pickups all the time. I'm with American Disposal now. Lately it seems people are taking their trash to the dump themselves and some I've witness throwing their garbage in my cans. Times are getting tough indeed.

Old 04-23-2009, 07:00 AM

2,674 posts, read 6,237,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
I dumped AAA because they missed pickups all the time. I'm with American Disposal now. Lately it seems people are taking their trash to the dump themselves and some I've witness throwing their garbage in my cans. Times are getting tough indeed.
What do you pay with American Disposal?

I was at the dump yesterday getting rid of some carpet and I did notice two cars dumping their own trash cans. My buddy has been doing it for years. He lives alone, so it takes him a while to fill up his trash can. If I owned a pickup, I'd probably do it too 'cause my trash can is barely half full in one week's time. Maybe I can talk to a neighbor to see if they want to split garbage pickup - LOL

Old 04-23-2009, 02:53 PM

6,226 posts, read 6,821,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneasterisk View Post
What do you pay with American Disposal?

I was at the dump yesterday getting rid of some carpet and I did notice two cars dumping their own trash cans. My buddy has been doing it for years. He lives alone, so it takes him a while to fill up his trash can. If I owned a pickup, I'd probably do it too 'cause my trash can is barely half full in one week's time. Maybe I can talk to a neighbor to see if they want to split garbage pickup - LOL
My wife pays the bill but it was cheaper when we switched sometime ago. Could be $70 every quarter, around about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia