U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 01:45 PM

39 posts, read 102,199 times
Oh, i see what you mean. I actually did not mean to put it there, but when i saw it there i left it there and didn't mind it there being that i'm a friendly person anyway. And unfortunately a lot of people with section 8 spoil it for people who have it but work and are not liars, thugs or thieves. Not everyone on section 8 are nasty dumbasses. I probably won't qualify much longer anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2009, 07:11 PM

4,072 posts, read 4,860,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachlover1 View Post
Oh, i see what you mean. I actually did not mean to put it there, but when i saw it there i left it there and didn't mind it there being that i'm a friendly person anyway. And unfortunately a lot of people with section 8 spoil it for people who have it but work and are not liars, thugs or thieves. Not everyone on section 8 are nasty dumbasses. I probably won't qualify much longer anyway.

I take that as a good thing? If so, good for you.

Old 05-14-2009, 10:44 AM

12 posts, read 17,606 times
Default Section 8

This is a governmental program administered by the counties (Fairfax County, Arlington County, Prince William County), so the county web sites would be a good starting resource for you. It's a surprise to me that you can "transfer" your Section 8 eligibility from one state to another. Are you sure you can do that?

Well, good luck moving and finding a job here. I can appreciate your wanting to live here, for the reasons you mentioned, but the job market here is very tough right now...

Old 05-14-2009, 01:09 PM

1,123 posts, read 3,409,035 times
I lived in NoVa for 41 years and never even knew about Section 8. NoVa might not be the best option for you. It is hard to live as a middle class person there. I worked 2 jobs to make ends meet, and in the end it was just too much. The cost of services, food, housing, utilities - it is all so high.

We moved down to Hampton Roads 6 years ago. Honestly, the weather in NoVa is probably no different from PA anyway. However, in HR, our winters are very mild and we rarely ever see snow. There is Section 8 housing all over, I see signs everywhere. It is much cheaper to live here. Even though I sold my TH in NoVa, I am renting a SFH, with a fenced yard in a nice neighborhood for $600 a month less than what I paid up there. I rented when I moved only because I came down with no job so I wasn't sure where I would end up working. I have continuted to rent, but only because the market was skyhigh. We are happy here - it is much more laid back than NoVa. EVERYTHING is cheaper here and I no longer work 2 jobs.

Just a thought for you. I would never consider NoVa on a smaller income.

The traffic is insane too...

Old 05-14-2009, 01:24 PM

5,790 posts, read 5,818,015 times
Well depending on where she is from in PA, it could be much warmer. If you are from Erie, Northern Virginia is much warmer. If she is from Philadelphia, not so much. Regardless, there might be places in Falls Church that accept Section 8. I used to live in a development there - they were rental townhouses (3 bedrooms 2 1/2 baths) right near Marshall High School. It's a pretty decent area and the schools are pretty good. The development is called Tysons Glen and for some reason I think they accept Section 8, but I could be wrong. You can walk to Trader Joe's and a couple of shopping centers from there. Good luck. Regardless of where you are from in PA - even if it's Philly, NoVA is more expensive.

Old 08-03-2014, 10:41 AM

4,072 posts, read 4,860,966 times
Thanks for that story.

NOT.

Old 08-03-2014, 06:19 PM

800 posts, read 451,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
Thanks for that story.

NOT.

huh?

Old 08-03-2014, 06:38 PM

3,687 posts, read 2,522,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PK12 View Post
huh?
Troll post that was deleted. A few people responded to it.

It's best we now all move along....nothing to see here....keep it moving......

Old 08-03-2014, 07:26 PM

120 posts, read 24,470 times
nevermind
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia