Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 07:13 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,733,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
This sounds interesting. What does city code have to do with turning on the AC? Are all the buildings on a master system?
The wording of the code says that heat has to be provided until the 15th of May. Apparently the heat and the a/c cant be on at the same time in my apt building. This is why I became a libertarian. Alexandria City needs to butt out and let the weather determine when to make the switch to A/C.

I can turn the thermostat on cool but warm air will come out. It is times like this where i miss living in a TH or SFH.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2009, 07:22 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,951,091 times
Heck yes! It's worth a few bucks a day to live, and sleep, comfortably.

Old 04-28-2009, 07:26 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,951,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
The wording of the code says that heat has to be provided until the 15th of May. Apparently the heat and the a/c cant be on at the same time in my apt building. This is why I became a libertarian. Alexandria City needs to butt out and let the weather determine when to make the switch to A/C.

I can turn the thermostat on cool but warm air will come out. It is times like this where i miss living in a TH or SFH.
Why would a city have any control over an apartment building? Sounds like the owner of your place doesn't want to have the expense of early AC so he's blaming it on the city.

Years ago I lived in an old apartment building like that. They wouldn't turn on AC until mid May. It had nothing to do with any city code, it was their decision. Trying to sleep when it was 90 inside convinced me to move to an apartment where I could control heat and AC.

Old 04-28-2009, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denton56 View Post
Why would a city have any control over an apartment building? Sounds like the owner of your place doesn't want to have the expense of early AC so he's blaming it on the city.

Years ago I lived in an old apartment building like that. They wouldn't turn on AC until mid May. It had nothing to do with any city code, it was their decision. Trying to sleep when it was 90 inside convinced me to move to an apartment where I could control heat and AC.
Dont look at me, this is the land of liberals here in Northern VA. I just live here. This is likely the last time i'll face this dilemma in Alexandria. What makes it worse is trying to sleep with either the window up (try doing that living next to 395) or the fan (still makes a little noise).

Old 04-29-2009, 07:31 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,080,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denton56 View Post
LOL, that's exactly what I thought! Landlord is using the city as a scapegoat.

Old 04-29-2009, 11:42 AM

1,848 posts, read 3,726,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
After a busy Saturday, we turned ours on. At night I attempted to just open the bedroom window for fresh air but my lady the penguin was too warm to snuggle against me.

The AC has been on 24/7 ever since, albeit between 70-75. If she had it her way, it would be like 65-70. Of course, we have the same "problem" in the winter... with the same temperature preferences. LOL
Are you my husband? He has his own computer..

Living in a TH poses the problem of hot on top...cold on bottom. The other day he came upstairs wearing his heavy winter coat and a hat! My 6 years laughed so hard she fell out of the chair. I had cranked it down...so that the top floor would cool off before we went to bed. We had been out of town so the house was HOT! My husband finds VA too cold...I think it is too hot. He's from Cleveland and I'm from FL!

Old 04-29-2009, 12:43 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,944,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slduvall View Post
My husband finds VA too cold...I think it is too hot. He's from Cleveland and I'm from FL!
Hahaha, he's from Cleveland and he thinks VA is too cold? Boy, he must have hated all that lake effect snow! I was born in Cleveland, and even as little kid I thought it was cold, cold, cold.

Old 04-29-2009, 01:23 PM

Well apprently yall were right the AC goes on this thursday at my building.

Old 04-29-2009, 03:11 PM

628 posts, read 1,933,587 times
No. By nature I'm an energy conserver. Also, our house is a rambler, so we have no second floor where most homes have the hottest rooms, including the BRs. We have an attic fan and ceiling fans in every room. Our basement is cool, so turning on the central house fan helps mitigate heat on the main floor. No allergies in this family so open windows helped. When the forecast predicts a break in heat within a day or two, all the above factors get us through a brief hot spell.

Old 04-29-2009, 08:54 PM

722 posts, read 1,981,424 times
Quote:
Well apprently yall were right the AC goes on this thursday at my building.
Just in time for it to be raining and 60 degrees out
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia