U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2007, 02:26 PM

7 posts, read 40,000 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

Im relocating to the DC area in a few week and im really excited about that. Everything is almost ready and I've also found a apt in silver spring. Question is, I know the MD to VA rush hour traffic is gonna be bad, I'm wondering how bad it is and whether there are get-arounds? My office is in sterling and i heard that if I'm on the road after 9am, the congestion should be eased? Is that true? If not, are there any better routes to take during rush hours? Thanks very much!
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2007, 03:46 PM

2,462 posts, read 8,041,874 times
I hate to tell you this, but Silver Spring to Sterling is not going to be an easy commute at any hour. You will have to take the Beltway, and you will be going with, not against, traffic. The most straightforward route is to take the Beltway across the American Legion Bridge to the Route 7 exit -- at that point, most of the route 7 traffic will be going in the other direction, so you will get a break there. Someone from Sterling might have a better idea of alternate routes.
As for the timing, you'll just have to experiment. My experience has been that the Tyson's area is very congested even at 9 am, so you might try beating the rush by leaving your apt at the crack of dawn.

Old 04-03-2007, 06:27 PM

268 posts, read 1,553,265 times
May I ask why you are moving to Silver Spring if your job is in Sterling? There are too many nice areas within easy commute to Sterling to drive to and from Silver Spring every day.

Old 04-03-2007, 06:55 PM

19,183 posts, read 28,313,751 times
Silver Spring to Sterling is 30+ miles. You may as well be driving to Baltimore. In rush hour, it will cost you up to two gallons of gas each way, not to mention a lot of time and aggravation. There are some 'back roads' in MD you could use to get over to the Beltway at River Road on the roughly three days a week when the Outer Loop is a mess, but everyone else knows about those roads already as well. On the VA side, you could conceivably use 193 to Bellview, to Towlston, to Rte. 7 to bypass Tysons Corner (which is where the Beltway will dump you), but that's no cakewalk either. If it were me, I'd abandon the idea of Silver Spring immediately. It's a nice enough place in most (but not all) parts with some affordable rents (mostly in the not so nice parts). But whatever you gain from living there, you'll be giving back by spending all your free time and money in and on the car. On the plus side, you'll have lots of opportuntiy to listen to your CD collection...

Old 04-03-2007, 07:46 PM

2,408 posts, read 13,342,592 times
I work in Sterling and three of my co-workers live in Maryland, one in Hyattsville, one in Laurel and one in Suitland. I think they're all crazy. It's not uncommon for their commutes to run two hours each way. As others have stated, the commute will be bad no matter what, and you will be unable to avoid the traffic-clogged Beltway entirely due to having to cross the Potomac River (it is the only crossing outside of DC, at least on the western side of DC) and the Beltway will drop you off in nightmarish Tysons Corner. My recommendation would be, if possible, to work non-standard hours. Perhaps be in the office by 7 (on the road by 6), or to not leave until 10am. I'm not sure if that's doable but perhaps your office is willing to compromise. Otherwise, it will indeed be a brutal commute, full of traffic and stress each and every morning, and it's not a commute I'd recommend for anyone who can avoid it.

Old 04-04-2007, 01:06 PM

7 posts, read 40,000 times
Thanks alot for the info!

If it were me, I'd abandon the idea of Silver Spring immediately.

yea, I think I already did...LOL... now I'm leaning towards getting an apt in Falls church, Dunn Loring area. It does look very attractive to live on this side of the river...easier commute, nicer neighborhood and lower income and property tax (when i get a house). I figure when i need/want to go to DC or MD, it's probably during the off rush hours and weekends, the traffic wont be as bad...or will it?

Old 04-04-2007, 02:33 PM

223 posts, read 1,065,171 times
Living in Falls Church or Dunn Loring will still require you commuting through or near Tysons Corner. It's better than commuting from Silver Spring, but you would still have a 40 minute commute each way (on good days) depending on where in Sterling you work. If I were you, I would at least look at areas that don't require you to deal with Tysons traffic on a daily basis. Since I used to live in Alexandria, my knowledge of the areas further out along the Dulles Toll Road (Reston, Herndon, etc.) is a bit limited. Perhaps someone else can offer you more specific details...

Traffic is relatively smooth between NoVA and D.C. during non-rush hour periods and weekends. Keep in mind, however, that the D.C. rush hour usually does not abate until 7:30 or 8:00 p.m.

Old 04-04-2007, 03:20 PM

Geez, you can live in Reston, Herndon or Ashburn and have a very short commute. Those are all nice areas for the most part. Heck, you can even live in Sterling if you want. And getting into DC and MD on off rush hour times won't be a big deal.

Old 04-04-2007, 05:16 PM

19,183 posts, read 28,313,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankee.peddler View Post
Living in Falls Church or Dunn Loring will still require you commuting through or near Tysons Corner. It's better than commuting from Silver Spring, but you would still have a 40 minute commute each way (on good days) depending on where in Sterling you work. If I were you, I would at least look at areas that don't require you to deal with Tysons traffic on a daily basis.
Probably would take about 40 minutes from Dunn Loring to Sterling at rush hour, but it takes 25 minutes at 3:00 am. There are various reasonable ways out of FC and DL to get onto Rte. 7 west of the Tysons crush, and the rest of the way is against traffic, so it wouldn't be a killer. Of course, living in Sterling itself would be closer yet, but as compared to Silver Spring, FC/DL is like a dream come true, and they do both retain the easy access to downtown via Metro...

Old 04-04-2007, 08:43 PM

Silver Spring is hardly the idyllic place to live. The crime rate there has increased recently. Unless you need the subway every day, it's not that big of a deal since you can drive and park at several metro stations in VA or even, horror of horrors actually drive into DC. Can you tell Igrew up here? I've been driving into DC since I was 18, from MD and now VA. Not that hard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia