U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2009, 02:39 PM

15 posts, read 47,631 times

Advertisements

Hi! We moved to West Springfield (near Huntsman Square) and are trying to decide which pool to join for the summer. Hunt Valley has a mile long waiting list, so that one's out. Anyone have any insight on Rolling Valley or Fox Hunt? We have 5 daughters, 2 of which would like to join the swim team this summer.
Thanks in advance for your help!
Jenna
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2009, 03:06 PM

628 posts, read 1,723,425 times
Don't forget the Orange Hunt pool. I do not believe it has a waiting list and, I believe, has attractive pricing this season due to a decrease in membership (not sure why).

Old 04-30-2009, 02:20 PM

2,462 posts, read 8,042,400 times
Both pools are part of the NVSL, which has more than 100 teams in 17 divisions, with division 1 being most competitive and division 17 the least competitive. Teams are moved around after each season, depending upon their win/loss record, but in general the largest teams tend to be in the higher divisions, with small and sometimes financially struggling pools in the lower ones.
It's fun to be at a top-division team, because the competition is intense, with some nationally-ranked swimmers in those groups. But, for the same reason, it can be tough for the novice or simply less-skilled swimmers on those teams, who rarely get a chance to swim in the "A" meets on Saturday mornings because each team can send only three swimmers in each event. By contrast, it's much easier for swimmers on those smaller, lower-ranked teams to win a slot in the A meets -- sometimes there are empty lanes because there just aren't enough swimmers to fill all the events, especially in the older age groups.
Rolling Valley is in Division 16; Fox Hunt is in Division 7 (I think). Check the websites for both swim teams to see which team would be a better fit for your daughters, if the swim team experience will be the driving force in your decision. You should also check into the financial situation at both pools. Some smaller pools are having real difficulties attracting members and securing the funds to maintain their rapidly aging facilities -- if a pool is advertising special membership deals, that's a huge red flag IMO.

Old 04-30-2009, 08:13 PM

8,106 posts, read 12,646,226 times
We just joined Rolling Valley Pool largely because it is close to our house. We are considering checking out the swim team for our son because we have heard it is smaller and not as competetive. Where we lived in Manassas, the swim team was huge and just way too competetive. The neighbors say the pool is nice and rarely crowded.

Old 05-01-2009, 07:56 AM

15 posts, read 47,631 times
Thanks! Both of our girls are more novice swimmers, so a lower ranked team may be better. That said, the swim team really isn't the selling point, as they may change their mind about joining as we get closer to the summer. I drove past Rolling Valley today, it looks fine, but REALLY small. I couldn't get a good look at Fox Hunt or Orange Hunt due to the gate. How are the crowds at Fox Hunt and Orange hunt?
Thanks again for your help!

Old 05-01-2009, 12:02 PM

5,210 posts, read 9,099,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by regandare1217 View Post
Thanks! Both of our girls are more novice swimmers, so a lower ranked team may be better. That said, the swim team really isn't the selling point, as they may change their mind about joining as we get closer to the summer. I drove past Rolling Valley today, it looks fine, but REALLY small. I couldn't get a good look at Fox Hunt or Orange Hunt due to the gate. How are the crowds at Fox Hunt and Orange hunt?
Thanks again for your help!
I took my kids to swim at Orange Hunt several times (guest pass) a few years back. It seemed like a pretty average sized pool to me with a nice, friendly group of people. It didn't seem over or under crowded when we went - clean and well maintained. I'm not familiar with their swim/dive team.

Maybe you could email each pool and see if you could visit them before you make your final decision.

Old 05-01-2009, 09:04 PM

8,106 posts, read 12,646,226 times
Have you checked out their websites? The pools can't be too small in size with swim teams.

Old 05-02-2009, 06:21 AM

2,462 posts, read 8,042,400 times
All you need for a swim team is a pool with six 25 meter/yard lanes.
Many area clubs have bigger pools, with diving areas and additional space on either side of the lane lines. Some clubs even have two pools, so that one is always available for general swimming when the swim team has practices and meets. Clubs with only one pool will be closed during those times (usually early weekday mornings and some Monday evenings and Saturday mornings).
If the club is still accepting new members at this point in the season, it's very unlikely that crowds would be a problem. The biggest crowding tends to be on the opening weekend and the first several weekends before school lets out and camps/vacations begin. In August, many area pools are so empty that you can have the place to yourselves.
Do check out the websites -- some have lots of pictures of the facilities (check the swim team links, since those parents tend to take tons of pictures).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia