Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 10:48 AM

141 posts, read 753,547 times

Advertisements

We are trying to open our minds to areas other than Lake Ridge that are safe, and family friendly.

Does anyone live or know whether the above mentioned areas are safe?

I am interviewing in Herndon, Reston, Van Dorn area in Alexandria and Old Towne
Any comments about commutting will be appreciated as well

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2007, 01:30 PM

2,489 posts, read 3,382,690 times
Huntley Meadows Nature Center is a wonderful haven in the middle of a patchwork of nice and not-so-nice pockets off Richmond Highway/Route 1. You will find some nice homes very close to dumpier/scarier areas. Definitely drive around the area at various times of day and night to determine what the atmosphere is. It can vary from street to street.

Old 09-28-2007, 05:26 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,656,046 times
Walkingnoelle's description is accurate. If you do find an area there you like, it will be a much better commute to Van Dorn or Old Town than Lake Ridge would be. You might also want to check out the Kingstowne area (zip code 22315).

Old 09-28-2007, 06:15 PM

3,307 posts, read 9,339,526 times
Have a couple of friends who live north of Huntley Meadows Park, and it's a nice area. Definitely safe, houses are well-kept, etc.

I wouldn't want to live east of Huntley Meadows Park near the Walmart on Route 1 though. While I'm sure the area is not particularly unsafe (no place in the VA suburbs is), it seems a bit more run-down.

Huntley Meadows Park itself is a gorgeous natural area. Great place to go hiking and watch some nature.

Old 09-28-2007, 08:48 PM

15,108 posts, read 27,550,358 times
I don't know if you are looking for a rental or a house, but I personally think our neighborhood is extremely safe - we are a little "isolated" - just off Duke Street in the West End, but I've always felt safe, I take walks, etc. alone and I'm a very petite person. No children here, but from what I hear the schools are great and the kids we talk to in the neighborhood seem very nice. (we are in 22304, I see a house just listed for sale, no idea for how much or who lived there...)

Old 09-29-2007, 03:09 AM

2,408 posts, read 14,356,438 times
I have a friend who lives in a townhouse community called Huntley Meadows located right next to Groveton Elementary School. Is this the Huntley Meadows being referenced or is it referring to the area around the park as a whole? Well, either way, my friend lives in a small townhouse community, of maybe 50 townhouses, which are all nice and very safe and within walking distance to the preserve and a very short commute to Old Town and the Van Dorn area.

Some parts of the general area are a little worn and dingy but it seems like there has been a lot of revitalization of late. The areas right around Huntley Meadows from what I've seen though are all decent.

Old 09-29-2007, 09:43 PM

141 posts, read 753,547 times
Thank you everyone for your answers...

I am looking at a house there tomorrow for sale and one for rent

Thanks!

Old 10-02-2007, 11:11 PM

One caution about Groveton Elementary School: as you can see from the demographics, the school has 40% of children speaking limited English and 60% receiving free or reduced price meals. So you may want to take that into consideration:

FCPS - School Profiles - Groveton ES - Demographics

Old 10-08-2007, 03:12 PM

10 posts, read 50,745 times
Be sure to check out the Jefferson Manor area also. It's walking distance to the Huntington metro off of Route 1 and it's a great neighborhood. I have a home there for sale (can I say that on here?) It's great for kids and dogs too!

Old 10-08-2007, 06:42 PM

I agree, Jefferson Manor is a charming neighborhood and I especially love the park. However, since the OP has a young child I feel like we need to be honest and point out the school situation, which in this case I believe is Mount Eagle:

FCPS - School Profiles - Mount Eagle ES - Demographics

50% have limited English proficiency and 72% receive free or reduced price meals.

Please don't get me wrong or flame me, I admire the teachers dealing with these challenges and have sympathy for the families who are doing their best, but I would not want someone to make a major and expensive decision on where to purchase a house based on an assumption that because the FCPS system overall has a high reputation, that each individual school has a high-achieving student population. That doesn't mean the child can't succeed there, just that it may be a different environment from what the parents are looking for. Just aiming for full disclosure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia