U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 08:46 PM

488 posts, read 1,582,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
LOL, you know I think I must be the only person in America who does not like Cold Stone Creamery. Something about their ice cream just doesn't taste good to me. But if you guys want to get some ice cream, it's ok by me... while I'm waiting I'll get a massage in the little store in the corner space.

I have not been to Cold Stone in a long time. Their ice cream is average.

I am really into gelato made fresh at Whole Foods at fair oaks...thats good stuff
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2009, 09:11 PM

4,711 posts, read 10,849,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromVAtoNC View Post
....As for Giant, I wouldn't mind seeing Giant turned into a chain of midgets, never cared much for that store. They took advantage when they were the only store around. A lot of their produce and meats were poor quality and they charged out the ying yang for everything. They only got better when competing stores arrived. They deserve what they get.....

The only store around? You must be a lot older than me! In 1950's Annandale alone, there were five competing grocery store chains....Giant, Safeway, A&P, Grand Union, and Acme.

Giant was far and away the leader, due in large part to it's owner, Izzy Cohen. He was a real visionary....the Annandale Giant was a "Super Giant", that combined a grocery store and a department store under one roof (sound familiar?). This was well before Sam Walton opened the first WalMart in 1962. The Annandale Super Giant failed to catch on and reverted to a regular Giant in the 60's.....it was an idea before it's time, I guess.

Giant went down the drain in the 90's when Izzy died and the chain was sold to Royal Ahold, a Dutch conglomerate....that runs it from overseas. They ruined our homegrown Giant.

Giant used to sponsor kiddie shows on local TV...like the Pick Temple Show...Pick was a cowboy....and Captain Tugg, a tugboat captain. They broadcast the shows live from WTTG TV (channel 5) in DC. Prizes included coupons for Heidi ice cream....that Giant Food made in it's own factory in Landover Md. I'll never forget my appearance on Pick Temple in 1959 where I won the postage stamp contest and got to ride Pick's horse across the set!

Izzy was great guy who treated his employees very, very well and it showed in the stores. He was very involved with the community and among other philanthropies, sent thousands of area kids to their first Redskins or Senators ballgames aboard chartered DC Transit (now Metro) buses.

RIP, Izzy and the REAL Giant Food!

Old 05-01-2009, 09:44 PM

173 posts, read 500,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
Giant went down the drain in the 90's when Izzy died and the chain was sold to Royal Ahold, a Dutch conglomerate....that runs it from overseas. They ruined our homegrown Giant.
I totally agree... The Giant of today is a far, far cry from the Giant of my youth. I remember grocery shopping with my mom, when all the cashiers were smiling and friendly and pleasant...now they just gripe about the union or how overdue they are for a break or whatever and you're lucky if they even acknowledge you.

Izzy Cohen did do great things for the community and was an amazing man. He must be rolling over in his grave to see what's become of his store...

Old 05-02-2009, 06:16 AM

18,717 posts, read 26,804,480 times
Quote:
The only store around? You must be a lot older than me! In 1950's Annandale alone, there were five competing grocery store chains....Giant, Safeway, A&P, Grand Union, and Acme.
LOL, I don't know about being older but I was definitely further out in the country. The Fairfax/Loudoun borderline was the sticks when we moved there. Interesting to hear that Giant was once a good store, by the time we moved here it had gone downhill, I guess.

Old 05-02-2009, 09:19 AM

427 posts, read 972,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mominbristow View Post
I totally agree... The Giant of today is a far, far cry from the Giant of my youth. I remember grocery shopping with my mom, when all the cashiers were smiling and friendly and pleasant...now they just gripe about the union or how overdue they are for a break or whatever and you're lucky if they even acknowledge you.

Izzy Cohen did do great things for the community and was an amazing man. He must be rolling over in his grave to see what's become of his store...
Yup, old Giant was awesome. I still miss their smile cookies! They were a huge part of my youth. I was away at college when Royal Ahold bought Giant, and I was so, so sad when I came home on break and the smile cookies had been discontinued. Some of the Giant bakeries are making cookies now that *look* like the old smile cookies, but they're nowhere near as yummy.

Poor Izzy. Poor Giant. I rarely shop there anymore, but it still makes me sad inside that they've changed so much. And the new logo is ugly.

Old 05-02-2009, 09:27 AM

33 posts, read 120,159 times
Default As the beat goes on

Actually I like Target's (Tar-jhay's) clothing, period. And their home accessories stuff (lamps, smaller furniture, towels, bedding). Aside from being stylish and trendy AND affordable, I have never had a problem with their clothing breaking down or washing out.

In regards to the SUPER in Super Wal-Mart, I don't think that their general merchandise is all that great; I just know that when you're buying food in particular there are HUGE differences in pricing of course w/ WM being cheapest.

And I totally agree w/ what someone said here-- after leaving a Wal-Mart at any time of the year (not just holidays, etc.) I always feel grumpy and ugly as if I've been through an ordeal where I have to calm down or refocus. I rarely get a push basket in there unless I have to get something heavy, so that I can easily navigate the aisles and swerve in and around people who stop in the middle of a crowded aisle for no apparent reason, even when they know they're blocking others.
Peripheral vision, anyone?

Wal-Mart is, um, evil but at times it's a necessary evil.

And true, like someone else said, wealthy people generally don't fool around with the likes of Wal-Mart. If/when I become rich, I refuse to go there because of the aforementioned anger/rage I have felt after leaving.

Giant does deserve what it gets for being so pricey for so long. I have stood in that store shocked (as well as Harris Teeter) at the pricing. I mean, the latter has frozen pizzas for like $7-9!! You can get two pizzas on special at Dominoes or wherever for that!!

Finally, I do think that that particular location (Manassas) was specifically chosen because of the high Latino population in that area. I also wonder why they didn't just expand somewhere else. I have never seen a Wal-Mart (let alone a Supercenter w/ food) attached to a mall. I can see it now...there'll be Wal-Mart shopping carts all over the mall in Macy's, JC Penney, across the street, etc., etc.

Old 05-02-2009, 10:48 AM

4,711 posts, read 10,849,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by themommy View Post
...Poor Izzy. Poor Giant. I rarely shop there anymore, but it still makes me sad inside that they've changed so much. And the new logo is ugly.

I liked Giant's original, art deco logo from the 30's when the chain was founded. It survived up into the 60's (I think) when the big "G" took over.

About WalMart, I go there for some things. People tell me that the meat and produce is lousy in the Super stores.

Walmart's pricing depends on where the store is....if there's a lot of competition nearby, WalMart competes fiercely. I've been to rural WalMarts where there is little other competition and prices are usually higher. However, it is folly to assume that if it's WalMart, the prices HAVE to be lower than anywhere else. You have to watch the sales at the other chains.

Where I get the "warm fuzzies" for WalMart is the $4 prescription drug program....anybody that puts the screws to the big drug companies is OK in my book! Lots of other chains copied the $4 rx plan....but I go to Wally's for my cheap drugs, nobody would have done it if WM hadn't. I like to reward that.

Last edited by car54; 05-02-2009 at 11:24 AM..

Old 05-02-2009, 11:16 AM

3,149 posts, read 8,087,224 times
Quote:
Wow... as a former Philadelphia-area resident I can't imagine an Acme in Northern Virginia.

Of course, nowadays, they're owned by the same parent company as Shoppers, so the two have a few similarities now (both carry the Shoppers Value brand, for instance).

Old 05-02-2009, 12:34 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,690,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athousandlogins View Post
My husband doesn't like it, either, but he's Canadian so that might not count
No, he does count. I lived in northern Maine and the people loved ice cream, even at -40 F.

About Walmart, I now travel to Spotsylvania once a month to grocery shop at the super-Walmart there. The store is clean, well-stocked, and the clerks can usually answer your questions. I just got sick of being hosed by the local supermarkets in Alexandria. The prices of some items were 50% higher than in Maine. They just have no competition. Just for laughs, I'd like to know if the Giants in Kingstowne pays it's employees more than the Walmart in Spotsylvania. For some reason I doubt it. Also, Walmart does offer some benefits and I wonder what Giants offers its clerks/stock people.

What really bothers me is that, I suspect, the exclusion of Super-Walmarts from most of NOVA has been intentional. Call me suspicious, but I've just got this funny feeling that someone has gotten rich (other then their competitors) keeping them out.

Last edited by bangorme; 05-02-2009 at 12:51 PM..

Old 05-02-2009, 12:48 PM

84 posts, read 250,777 times
Just one more reason to avoid Manassas Mall. I have never supported WalMart's business practices and I never will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or