U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-02-2009, 05:02 PM

26,555 posts, read 47,250,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlv311 View Post
I'd be upset too. I've always been pretty conscientious in conserving resources as part of our budget.
Agreed. I'm very, very conservative with natural resources too (I've even begun to actually FOLLOW the speed limit to save gas), and now there is just no incentive to be thrifty and frugal with your utilities because if you're very conscientious with conservation your bill can STILL be high if all of your neighbors are wasteful, and vice-versa.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2009, 12:08 PM

12 posts, read 18,184 times
Default Interest Piqued by Mention of Property Mgt Realtors

Some of the stuff I've read here about renting through a property management company/realtor is interesting to me in my present circumstance, as I am seeking to rent my condo furnished for a year. I was going to try to find a renter myself, saving both me and the renter fees -- and because I will be extremely accessible by email and have resources locally to do repairs/fixes and so forth.

Does anyone know if this is a bad idea, or what the pros and cons are of arranging this myself? I'm a newbie at this. Would potential renters be cautioned (for example on this forum) against doing business directly with an owner, for any reason (even if the owner is a nice person and easy to get along with)? Any advice/ideas/previous experience would be greatly appreciated.

Old 05-14-2009, 03:28 PM

23 posts, read 49,290 times
We chose to go with an agent for our house in Arlington and hire a property manager for several reasons.

First, the agent handled all of the rental applications and lease paperwork for us. This included running a credit check on prospective tenants to ensure we weren't going to get run out on by anyone and that they could actually afford the rent.

Second, because of who I work for, I have to be very careful about who is living in property that I own. There is still a heavy illegal alien population in South Arlington, and I'm not willing to take the professional risk of having a problem like that on my hands.

Third, we live out of state now due to a military transfer out of the DC area. Between my schedule and my husband's, I don't have time to be fielding phone calls and complaints directly from the tenant. My property manager does that and keeps me apprised.

It all depends on how closely you want to be involved and what role you're most comfortable with. It certainly wouldn't hurt to talk to a potential listing agent or a property manager to get an idea of what they would charge you.

Old 05-16-2009, 08:27 AM

12 posts, read 18,184 times
Thank you, utennvolsfan, for passing these good points along.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia