U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 11:01 AM

21 posts, read 90,650 times

Advertisements

Most of you know my family relocated here from Nevada at the beginning of April. Well our tags on our car expired at the end of April, so we had planned to just renew this morning (May 1st) online at the Nevada DMV's website. - We can't prove residency yet.
We are parked in our temporary housing parking lot. It is private property, it is owned by the apartment complex. We were issued a parking pass for our car.
At 8am I renewed my registration online, then went down to my car around 10am to find a parking ticket issued by a city cop for expired tags!! The ticket was written at 7:10am.

In Nevada a police officer can not ticket for parking on private property... is this legal in Virginia?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2009, 11:07 AM

573 posts, read 2,281,085 times
hmm i dunno if that's legal but it's definitely not nice.

Last edited by FindingZen; 05-01-2009 at 11:36 AM.. Reason: watch the language...

Old 05-01-2009, 11:32 AM

21 posts, read 90,650 times
I've been searching online and the only thing I have found is this:
"
  • [SIZE=2]
  • How could I get a parking ticket on private property? [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Parking Tickets may be written for illegal parking such as vehicular trespassing, parking on sidewalks, fire lane or a disabled zone on private property, including Shopping Malls."

But that was posted on Roanoke's website... but I can't imagine them having different laws than the rest of Virginia.
Parking Ticket FAQs

[/SIZE]

Old 05-01-2009, 12:23 PM

3,155 posts, read 8,095,633 times
It's absolutely legal for them to do that. Most apartment complexes let the local authorities ticket cars for expired tags and stickers.

Old 05-01-2009, 01:44 PM

65 posts, read 233,369 times
Ive gotten one and the timestamp was 1:10am and its legal.

Old 05-01-2009, 02:02 PM

30,101 posts, read 67,193,623 times
It's perfectly legal to do so in Pennsylvania. In fact, even though most of you hate me I have a funny story to share about that. A few weeks ago a neighbor of mine called the police on another neighbor for habitually permitting their dogs to bark loudly at inopportune morning hours. The police officer, a friend of the offending neighbor (who is an EMT) came to diffuse the situation for "show" to appease the caller, and in return he went back to bite the caller in the rear-end by walking up her driveway and citing her for having a vehicle in the driveway with an expired New York registration. Talk about karma coming back to bite you in the rear-end! LOL! That's the way small-town politics works though in PA (I hope this isn't the same in VA).

Old 05-01-2009, 03:49 PM

1,261 posts, read 5,607,075 times
It is. I have a condo in Arlington and the police routinely checked cars parked in the garage and ticket them for expired tags, missing decal, out-of-state license plates (because you are supposed to register the car within 60 days), etc.

Old 05-01-2009, 07:22 PM

6,553 posts, read 10,842,297 times
Yes it's legal. In PWC the complex writes a letter to the department requesting enforcement within the complex for parking issues.

Old 05-01-2009, 09:46 PM

573 posts, read 2,281,085 times
One thing I thought of is that generally when renewing your tags from a distance (online or by mail) you have to make sure you get that taken care of before the expiration date just to make sure that everything's kosher when that date rolls around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlv311 View Post
It is. I have a condo in Arlington and the police routinely checked cars parked in the garage and ticket them for expired tags, missing decal, out-of-state license plates (because you are supposed to register the car within 60 days), etc.
What about for people who can legally leave their out-of-state registration?

Old 05-01-2009, 10:02 PM

6,553 posts, read 10,842,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legs1357 View Post
One thing I thought of is that generally when renewing your tags from a distance (online or by mail) you have to make sure you get that taken care of before the expiration date just to make sure that everything's kosher when that date rolls around.

What about for people who can legally leave their out-of-state registration?

Still have to keep them current.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or