U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-12-2009, 11:42 AM
 
4,555 posts, read 7,025,997 times
Reputation: 4188

Advertisements

I've lived in my unit for 14 years (on the west coast) and needless to say, the carpet has had it. I was told my LL would replace it but I would have to have everything removed from the unit so they could do it. I checked on the cost and it would be over $700 for movers to come and move everything out, put it in a pod for one night, and move it back in. The carpet they are putting in probably doesn't cost that much! I'm trying to figure out a better way.

did anyone's LL tell them they have to move everything out or if there some way around that? I think they are just jerking me around knowing I won't pay to have all my furniture moved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-13-2009, 05:11 PM
 
18 posts, read 60,211 times
Reputation: 17
I lived in a so called 'luxury apartment home' in Nova for a year with my Persian cat. The day of the move, my cat vomited on the carpet and unfortunately I did not have any time to really clean the stain properly due to my pending flight.

Needless to say, a month after living at my new address, I received notice that they replaced the den carpet at a cost of a little over $200.00. I tried to fight the management company, but it just seemed pointless. Also, I'm very neurotic about my credit, therefore I just decided to pay the expense --despite already paying a pet move in fee of $500.00 and monthly pet rent of 49 dollars at that particular apartment complex.

I am now moving back to NOVA due to a job transfer and I will NEVER leave any apartment without having the carpet professionally cleaned. If my pet vomits again, I will personally scrub the carpet clean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2009, 06:16 PM
 
Location: Alexandria, VA
206 posts, read 380,585 times
Reputation: 129
I'm glad you brought up the pet deposit and pet rent. It seems like every place up here charges some ridiculous pet deposit, plus like $30-$50 for pet "rent". What is that even for? I lived in Williamsburg, VA before moving here, and if I had wanted a pet, it was just a $200-$250 deposit, which I assume would be used to clean the place from any normal pet wear-and-tear.

I think "pet rent" is just another way to gouge people up here. Same thing with separate parking fees, amenity fees, etc. Make the base rent look almost affordable, and then pile on the other stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-20-2015, 11:57 AM
 
2 posts, read 1,537 times
Reputation: 10
I am having an issue with a current landlord. The carpet was said to have been installed as new in 2007. It looks older but maybe he likes that style? Everything else is original in house including wood paneling and wallpaper (90's) house. We moved in Oct 2013. Moving out now, Oct 2015. While there were no stains with us moving in, we have a toddler (2) who grew here and has spilled things. We used to have a dog (he's 9 now) zero damage or odor from him. The carpets in my mind show wear and tear. We did agree upon professional steam cleaning prior to move out. Which I'm fine with. The landlord showed up one day (no notice) and viewed any "damages" that needed to be completed prior to move out. He insists the carpets are damaged beyond cleaning and normal wear and tear. He wants us to pay for carpet replacement including dining room and 1 living room. I told him no way! Maybe half. There's no tears, holes, just stains from food/drink (nothing red) they just look dark in color. I'm not sure what to do but I refuse to pay full price for his old carpets to be redone and he's trying to charge us $650 for paint touch-ups that is only where nail holes were, and marks from moving in (hallway) oh and the shingles on the side of his house due to the satellite dish. So basically we get no deposit back! Any tips? Not sure what to do. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-20-2015, 01:44 PM
 
7,926 posts, read 9,642,312 times
Reputation: 13939
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaMarieB View Post
I am having an issue with a current landlord. The carpet was said to have been installed as new in 2007. It looks older but maybe he likes that style? Everything else is original in house including wood paneling and wallpaper (90's) house. We moved in Oct 2013. Moving out now, Oct 2015. While there were no stains with us moving in, we have a toddler (2) who grew here and has spilled things. We used to have a dog (he's 9 now) zero damage or odor from him. The carpets in my mind show wear and tear. We did agree upon professional steam cleaning prior to move out. Which I'm fine with. The landlord showed up one day (no notice) and viewed any "damages" that needed to be completed prior to move out. He insists the carpets are damaged beyond cleaning and normal wear and tear. He wants us to pay for carpet replacement including dining room and 1 living room. I told him no way! Maybe half. There's no tears, holes, just stains from food/drink (nothing red) they just look dark in color. I'm not sure what to do but I refuse to pay full price for his old carpets to be redone and he's trying to charge us $650 for paint touch-ups that is only where nail holes were, and marks from moving in (hallway) oh and the shingles on the side of his house due to the satellite dish. So basically we get no deposit back! Any tips? Not sure what to do. Thanks!
Nail holes and missing shingles where a satellite dish were are not normal wear and tear. Neither are stains from your child on the carpet. Not sure what your deposit amount is, but it sounds like the LL is only charging you for some of the carpet cost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-20-2015, 03:11 PM
 
2 posts, read 1,537 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Nail holes and missing shingles where a satellite dish were are not normal wear and tear. Neither are stains from your child on the carpet. Not sure what your deposit amount is, but it sounds like the LL is only charging you for some of the carpet cost.
Our deposit was 1225 + Rent. I'm ok with the shingles as I never had satellite before so I didn't know they had to do extra holes and whatnot. He wants us to replace the whole carpet in both rooms not some of the cost. Mind you we still have to do the steam cleaning first to see if that comes out. (+$140). We're looking at about $1500 to move out (cleaning fees, paint, landscaping, carpet cleaning) and then a carpet replacement? Doesn't seem fair for a renter to have to pay all that. I told him if he wanted the carpets done we'd pay half as they are 8 years old now. I'm not paying full price for brand new carpets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-20-2015, 11:42 PM
 
507 posts, read 341,657 times
Reputation: 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Nail holes and missing shingles where a satellite dish were are not normal wear and tear. Neither are stains from your child on the carpet. Not sure what your deposit amount is, but it sounds like the LL is only charging you for some of the carpet cost.
Nail holes from hanging pictures or mirrors are normal wear and tear. A dab of spackle, smooth, paint. If I'm not mistaken, it's Virginia law that every tenant is supposed to have a fresh coat of paint, anyway. Every ethical landlord expects to do that as part of the cost of doing business. What are you supposed to do, not hang any artwork in a place you call home?

As for the carpet, it's pretty gross that he wants to pass an eight-year-old carpet on to the next tenant, especially after a tenant with a dog has lived there for two years. He sounds like a sleaze. OP, I would check the lease to see what you're liable for, as well as look into the law about what he is allowed to withhold from your deposit and why. I would also take date-stamped pictures the day I move out, so that if it gets nasty and you end up in court, he doesn't suddenly produce pictures of much bigger holes in the walls or stains on the carpet from entire bottles of wine dumped there.

For the record, one of the big high-rise companies here tried to charge me for 950 square feet of carpet about 8 years ago. It was installed new when I moved in, and when I moved out 2.5 years later, it had a small green spot in a corner under where a mat that I thought was waterproof bled after a plant overflowed. I got most of it out with plain old soap and water, and a steamcleaner would have done the rest. They wanted me to pay $500 and gave me a song and dance about how they had to re-carpet the entire apartment. Yeah, right. I had moved out of state, so I told them to come and get it. I think they just try things like that as a matter of course to see what they can get.

Last edited by Zennia; 09-20-2015 at 11:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2015, 08:38 AM
 
7,926 posts, read 9,642,312 times
Reputation: 13939
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zennia View Post
If I'm not mistaken, it's Virginia law that every tenant is supposed to have a fresh coat of paint, anyway.
You are mistaken. That's not a law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2015, 08:48 PM
 
1,188 posts, read 1,819,073 times
Reputation: 979
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaMarieB View Post
He wants us to replace the whole carpet in both rooms not some of the cost.
The lifespan of carpet is generally set at ten years. Given that the carpet is from 2007 it only has two years of life left, so even if you completely destroyed all of it beyond repair, the most your landlord could get from you in court is the value of those last two years, or 20% of the cost of new carpet.

Hopefully the cleaning takes care of your issue. However, under no circumstance would you be required to pay full replacement cost for eight year old carpet. Normal wear and tear had depreciated the carpet down to 40% of its original value before you even moved in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2015, 03:31 AM
 
507 posts, read 341,657 times
Reputation: 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
You are mistaken. That's not a law.
Okay. I had a landlord tell me it was, but this was in the '90s so it may have changed.

A good landlord will do it, though. Even in the worst apartments I've had, there was always a fresh coat of paint. It seems absurd to me that any landlord would even consider not painting the unit for new tenants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:18 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top