Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2009, 09:43 AM

1 posts, read 2,715 times

Advertisements

We're moving soon from Maryland, and I had a few questions for all of you experienced residents.

1. We currently home school our kindergartner, and plan to do the same for first grade. What are the requirements for Virginia, and are there any forms I need to fill out, anyone at the school district to contact?

2. How are the elementary schools in Stafford? Are the public schools good? Is private school affordable?

3. We're looking for a good (conservative/traditional) Catholic Church. We don't mind driving a bit if necessary. The only church that I keep seeing is St. William of York. What's it really like?

4. Are there any great activities for toddlers/kindergartens? I'm looking for things like story hour at the library, swimming lessons, soccer, etc. How expensive are activities in Stafford? Is Parks & Rec a good option for things like soccer; is P&R affordable?

Thank you SO MUCH for taking the time to help me out. I have been google-ing like crazy, but still need some BTDT advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2009, 03:36 PM

2,462 posts, read 8,918,460 times
Not sure how far you're willing to drive, but St. John the Beloved in McLean is an awesome orthodox parish, and many people drive a fair distance to attend Mass there. There is a TLM every Sunday at noon, but the English masses are excellent too, with a "high Mass" at 10:30 and lots of reverence and excellent homilies at every Mass.
Fr. Magat, at St. William of York, is an excellent orthodox young-ish priest. I have no idea what the parish is like, but any parish with Fr. Magat is bound to be good.
You might also consider St. John in Front Royal.

Old 05-03-2009, 05:57 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,888,599 times
Go to the Catholic Herald tab on the Diocesan site [url=http://www.arlingtondiocese.org/worship/worship_celebrations.php]Worship - Celebrations of Extraordinary Form[/url]. Here you will find a list of Parishes that celebrate in Extraordinary liturgy. There are many homeschoolers here. I know a bunch from St Leo the Great in Fairfax and St Agnes in Arlington. Many homeschoolers do daily mass at St James in Falls Church. St Catherine the Great has Novus Ordo in Latin on Sundays. I would say City Data is not a primary source for such info. DM me and I can send you to a better forum. God Bless! Leighland

Old 05-05-2009, 07:47 AM

44 posts, read 70,096 times
Default Stafford

Quote:
Originally Posted by kep16 View Post
We're moving soon from Maryland, and I had a few questions for all of you experienced residents.

1. We currently home school our kindergartner, and plan to do the same for first grade. What are the requirements for Virginia, and are there any forms I need to fill out, anyone at the school district to contact?

2. How are the elementary schools in Stafford? Are the public schools good? Is private school affordable?

3. We're looking for a good (conservative/traditional) Catholic Church. We don't mind driving a bit if necessary. The only church that I keep seeing is St. William of York. What's it really like?

4. Are there any great activities for toddlers/kindergartens? I'm looking for things like story hour at the library, swimming lessons, soccer, etc. How expensive are activities in Stafford? Is Parks & Rec a good option for things like soccer; is P&R affordable?
1. Don't know. Can't help you there.

2. Public schools in Stafford are very good. Ranked among the best in the country. I think you would be happy with any elementary school in the county.

3. St. William of York is an old school, traditional catholic church. St. Francis of Assissi in Triangle isn't too far away from there (about 15 minute drive) and is more of what I'd call "hippy catholic". There is also St. Mary's in Fredericksburg. Don't know much about that one.

4. Parks and Rec is a huge thing in Stafford. Tons of soccer leagues. There is an indoor fieldhouse in south Stafford that has indoor soccer and flag football for little kids year round as well. They even have soccer tots for toddlers. There are a couple of public pools that do swimming lessons (Curtis Park, Woodlands Pool).

Old 05-05-2009, 08:00 AM

2,688 posts, read 6,680,476 times
http://www.hslda.org/laws/analysis/Virginia.pdf

4Real Forums at theNetSmith.com

Old 12-01-2009, 12:26 PM

22 posts, read 139,823 times
Question Raising Children in Stafford

Can anyone speak to the "family values" side of raising kids in Stafford? I'm actually not very religious, but it turns out that I'm pretty conservative regarding pop culture's influence on my kids. I have a child starting 6th grade next year and I'm worried about things like cell phones and Twilight. Will my daughter find friends who also can't watch every PG-13 movie that comes out? I think she would be at Thompson middle school - any insight into that school would also be welcome. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia