U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2009, 11:42 AM

8 posts, read 20,048 times

Advertisements

Anyone who can give me the scoop on working with Craftmark to build a home, or any issues with living in Morris Farms? Any opinions about the smell in the air or the pool? Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2009, 12:04 PM

1,261 posts, read 5,039,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miszjewels View Post
Anyone who can give me the scoop on working with Craftmark to build a home, or any issues with living in Morris Farms? Any opinions about the smell in the air or the pool? Thanks!
1) Craftmark homes - I only know of one family that has a Craftmark home in Morris Farm that has been on the forum and I don't believe they post any more. So you probably won't get much of a response.

2) Issues - I thought the neighborhood looked a bit rough last year with lots of foreclosures and short sales, but I'm extremely picky... it's a matter of perception. I'm seeing lots of "lawn wars" going on this year. Homes sales are picking up and I'm seeing prices go up from last year. If there are any issues, they are typically addressed to the HOA. The HOA is coming together nicely now since the meetings are being held at Glenkirk Elementary rather down in Braemar.

3) Cow Poo - See previous post in another thread

4) Pool - I like the pool. There's a nice tot pool and there are jets, fountain & shallow area in the main pool. Some complain that the water is cold, but that's because it isn't heated. (I doubt most neighborhood pools are heated though??) You'd be surprised at how few people are at the pool at any given time though or at least that's the way it was last year. The year before it was busier. Who knows how it will be this year. The pool also has a nice view of the trees & meadow.

Old 01-19-2010, 12:45 PM

1 posts, read 3,607 times
We moved into the Meadows at Morris Farms in December 2009. So far we love the area and the community. But beware...the builders are not telling potential buyers that the PW Park Authority is going to put in a Soccer Park that borders Rollins Ford RD & Glenkirk RD on an approximately 66 acre farm they bought. This will definately impact the local community and the rural feeling, not to say light up the night sky on weekends during soccer season. For more info go to the Prince William Park Authority web page.

Old 01-19-2010, 03:44 PM

509 posts, read 852,562 times
That park is not a done deal yet (that is the soccer complex). A lot of people are speaking up against it at the county meetings. Hopefully it will get derailed, and that land will be used for more passive daytime recreation.

Old 01-20-2010, 04:22 AM

I live in Morris Farm. I haven't heard of anyone here that doesn't want the soccer fields. The only complaint I have heard is that people wanted a traffic light at Rollins Ford and Linton Hall as part of the park going in. However, since the access to the park for now will be via Glenkirk Road, that's not going to happen.

The park is not adjacent to any lots in Morris Farm, so I don't see how Brookfield or Craftmark must tell every buyer that a park "might" be going in. It's a nice to know thing. The Wiita tract of land was proffered back in 2006 as part of Wellington Glen development. I don't know that Brookfield and Craftmark were even associated with that. Petersen is the one who is offering the funds to build the stadium.

Just in general from what I have heard is that people don't want the entire plot of land dedicated to soccer fields. People want open space, trails and a park as part of the plan. I have to agree. I don't want to have to drive 12 miles to take my child to John S. Long park to go play soccer, but would also like a nice park near by.

Prince William County Park Authority will vote on January 27 on the master plan for the Wiita tract.

Old 01-20-2010, 12:52 PM

Soccer fields would be fine. A soccer stadium with bright lights at night - not for those of us who like the darker skies out in Gainesville for astronomy purposes. The light pollution from such a stadium at night would be awful. If it were only used in the daytime, that would be one thing. I'm sure however it would be at night too.

Soccer fields for just daytime use would be fine, as far as I'm concerned.

Old 01-20-2010, 12:58 PM

I do think that's correct - why would Brookfield or Craftmark need to disclose about the park - since it isn't directly adjacent to any lots. If anything, it would almost be to their benefit to advertise the fact that there might be a nice park next to the neighborhood someday (ignoring the possible traffic issues and bright lights at night issues, if the park is open at night). Might be different if traffic was going to be on Rollins Ford Rd,. but as it is in limbo for further expansion due to the county not having the funding for it - traffic won't be going that way to the park, as noted above. That doesn't negate the fact that Rollins Ford Rd. needs a traffic light (and a street light would help) at the intersection of Linton Hall Road. It is not fun trying to make a left turn onto Rollins Ford Rd. at night - the very first time you try it and are unfamiliar with it! Very dark there at night and very hard to determine where the road is! But that's a whole other subject.

Old 05-23-2010, 05:15 PM

24 posts, read 70,785 times
Default Did the park get approved???

Help! We are about to move into that very area, where the proposed soccer field / park is supposed to go. We would be just steps away. I looked on MapQuest to see where Glenkirk Road and Rollins Ford would almost intersect....just behind our new house.

The noise during the day wouldn't bother me too much, although I work at home. But noise, cars, trash, and lights at night would bother me and my husband ENORMOUSLY.

Can anyone please tell me if this park was voted upon, and approved? Our closing is June 25. Help!!

Old 05-23-2010, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubberMom View Post
Help! We are about to move into that very area, where the proposed soccer field / park is supposed to go. We would be just steps away. I looked on MapQuest to see where Glenkirk Road and Rollins Ford would almost intersect....just behind our new house.

The noise during the day wouldn't bother me too much, although I work at home. But noise, cars, trash, and lights at night would bother me and my husband ENORMOUSLY.

Can anyone please tell me if this park was voted upon, and approved? Our closing is June 25. Help!!
Yes it has been approved. The soccer fields are part of the "wiita" tract on the otherside of Broad Run.

Old 05-23-2010, 05:31 PM

24 posts, read 70,785 times
After some on-line research, I found a map of the proposed location. It's actually NOT "right behind" our house...it's on the other side of Broad Run from the Morris Farm development.

The land, which was donated (!) to Prince William County, is called the "Wiita Property." Here is map of the boundaries of the Wiita property, showing that it will border Glenkirk Road, but on the other side of the dam:
http://www.pwconserve.org/maps/wiita_aerial.jpg

I'm feeling much calmer now. I was afraid it would be on OUR side of Broad Run, just a block frm our house.

While I feel strongly that lights at night, in this rural area, would be a real loss (no stargazing), I'm glad they won't be directly behind our development.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or