U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 07:36 AM

373 posts, read 715,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Yep. This is one of many things I plan to comment on tomorrow night at Lake Anne Elementary School where there will be a session in regards to drafting up the community's next long-range plan. I'm going to ask why our "sophisticated" planned community doesn't have many sidewalks, forcing me to run in increasingly busy streets What's so "hip" and "progressive" about that?
Seriously? Reston has like a zillion miles of sidewalks and paths. I can't think of a major road (Reston Parkway, Fairfax County Parkway, Baron Cameron, Wiehle) that forces you into the street. In fact, when I lived there, following paths sometimes made me nervous because they were so removed from busy traffic. Like, who would hear me scream? So I deliberately stayed in populated areas...but still, never had a problem with lack of pedestrian space.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2009, 08:30 AM

15,400 posts, read 25,789,718 times
Quote:
Yep. This is one of many things I plan to comment on tomorrow night at Lake Anne Elementary School where there will be a session in regards to drafting up the community's next long-range plan. I'm going to ask why our "sophisticated" planned community doesn't have many sidewalks, forcing me to run in increasingly busy streets What's so "hip" and "progressive" about that?
LOL, you're seriously going to publicly make this complaint? In a town that has more than 60 miles of paved walking trails in the residential areas and sidewalks in the commercial zones? Oh, that oughta be rich. Be sure to tell them you've been in town a whole two weeks now.

I'm sorry Scran but don't you see how silly you're being? I don't know why you don't like to use any of these walking paths: Reston Paths but please stop and think about how foolish you will look if stand up at a meeting and go into one of your rants. It's one thing to do it on the internet because you had a rough day, but going to this meeting and lashing out about sidewalks in a town that has 60+ miles of trails is a good way to make yourself look like a doofus.

And that would be a shame, because I think you really do have some good ideas. But Scran, this isn't one of them. Why not just attend the meeting? Give it at least six months before you try to change Reston, you may just discover you like the walking trails better than you think even if they don't run right along a road. Give them a chance before you condemn them, there must be a reason everyone else who lives here likes them.

Aso, here's a little food for thought,. You're prone to thinking everyone's looking at you and judging you. So you might want to think about the fact that you're likely to see the people from that meeting again. The people who go to those meetings are frequently seen at every civic event. If you draw attention to yourself over a silly issue like this, odds are you could get nervous every time you see them, convinced they're snickering at you. So why put yourself in that position in the first place? Don't draw attention to yourself over something like this, wait for an issue that makes a little more sense.

BTW, here are the plans for the new bicycle lanes being added in both directions on Lawyers Road between Reston Parkway and Myrtle Lane
http://www.restonpaths.com/Images/La...%20summary.pdf

Last edited by normie; 06-16-2009 at 08:45 AM..

Old 06-16-2009, 12:54 PM

18,717 posts, read 26,849,198 times
Quote:
Yep. This is one of many things I plan to comment on tomorrow night at Lake Anne Elementary School where there will be a session in regards to drafting up the community's next long-range plan.
One of many things? You have a whole list? Oh Lord....

Old 06-16-2009, 06:41 PM

11 posts, read 24,771 times
Pentagon row. professionals in their 30's, diverse, town square full of great restaurants and outdoor concerts, ice skating rinks in winter.

Old 06-16-2009, 07:02 PM

8,468 posts, read 13,616,317 times
It sounds like Reston/Herndon are where I should focus. Given how expensive the DC area is, I just assumed that even at $1800 a month, the best I could do is a 2-bedroom apartment or condo. A townhouse, though more than I need, would be ideal, especially if it had a basement and fenced in yard. But I know that's asking for a lot. But since I'm in IT, I think there's a very good chance I'll be working out there than in downtown DC. But since I do have a dog, finding dog-friendly housing is critical. Given that, I'm probably better off in the suburbs. My hope is to find something with a lease-to-buy option. Something tells me that's easier to find in the suburbs than in the city. I know suburbia gets criticized for being boring and cookie-cutter, but I actually prefer newer homes to the older buildings.

Old 06-16-2009, 08:23 PM

30,108 posts, read 67,227,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seiketsu View Post
Seriously? Reston has like a zillion miles of sidewalks and paths. I can't think of a major road (Reston Parkway, Fairfax County Parkway, Baron Cameron, Wiehle) that forces you into the street. In fact, when I lived there, following paths sometimes made me nervous because they were so removed from busy traffic. Like, who would hear me scream? So I deliberately stayed in populated areas...but still, never had a problem with lack of pedestrian space.
There's large swaths of both North Shore Drive and Wiehle Avenue that are devoid of sidewalks, and since an increasing number of people in Reston are biking/walking to destinations as gas prices edge near to $3/gallon again (including me as I'm not exactly "loaded" enough to be able to stomach another impending fuel price spike very well) this is a very VALID complaint. I was nearly clipped last week while running along North Shore Drive near the public pool (near Lake Anne Elementary) when I had to dart into the lane of travel of the roadway because people had decided to park along the side of the road near to the pool. It took an elderly man being hit and nearly killed at the entrance to Lake Anne Plaza to finally get a stop sign erected. I've seen some close calls with cyclists nearly being mown down as well. For those of us who wish to occasionally use sidewalks to access Point A to Point B (not all of us just want to meander around aimlessly for exercise on a wooded trail that doesn't really connect anything important to anything important) there's a lot of places that are still VERY dangerous for cyclists/pedestrians in Reston. Our town....errr..."census designated place" could be a MODEL for pedestrian- and cyclist-oriented development instead of only catering to the automobile nearly exclusively.

Besides, you yourself brought up a very important issue about the trail system---SAFETY. Why are there no surveillance cameras along the trails? Do police regularly patrol them? I would MUCH prefer to walk/run on a sidewalk along a well-traveled roadway where someone could see me in distress than saunter down a windy trail into the woods where not a soul would hear me scream if I were attacked or mugged. From what I've read about South Reston some of the "element" that people complain about plaguing Herndon has now crept over there as well. I'd be leery of walking alone on trail systems in some part of town. Sidewalks should be made MANDATORY for ALL new roadways. I don't see why that's unreasonable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
LOL, you're seriously going to publicly make this complaint? In a town that has more than 60 miles of paved walking trails in the residential areas and sidewalks in the commercial zones? Oh, that oughta be rich. Be sure to tell them you've been in town a whole two weeks now.

I'm sorry Scran but don't you see how silly you're being? I don't know why you don't like to use any of these walking paths: Reston Paths but please stop and think about how foolish you will look if stand up at a meeting and go into one of your rants. It's one thing to do it on the internet because you had a rough day, but going to this meeting and lashing out about sidewalks in a town that has 60+ miles of trails is a good way to make yourself look like a doofus.

And that would be a shame, because I think you really do have some good ideas. But Scran, this isn't one of them. Why not just attend the meeting? Give it at least six months before you try to change Reston, you may just discover you like the walking trails better than you think even if they don't run right along a road. Give them a chance before you condemn them, there must be a reason everyone else who lives here likes them.

Aso, here's a little food for thought,. You're prone to thinking everyone's looking at you and judging you. So you might want to think about the fact that you're likely to see the people from that meeting again. The people who go to those meetings are frequently seen at every civic event. If you draw attention to yourself over a silly issue like this, odds are you could get nervous every time you see them, convinced they're snickering at you. So why put yourself in that position in the first place? Don't draw attention to yourself over something like this, wait for an issue that makes a little more sense.

BTW, here are the plans for the new bicycle lanes being added in both directions on Lawyers Road between Reston Parkway and Myrtle Lane
http://www.restonpaths.com/Images/La...%20summary.pdf
"Be sure to tell them I've been in town a whole two weeks now?" What does that have to do with anything? People from NYC/NJ were flooding into NEPA, and I APPRECIATED their grievances/complaints because sometimes they brought to light issues that we natives had previously overlooked and then proceeded to RIGHTFULLY take action to change things for the better. Actually, I DID take your advice and told them I was "in town a whole two weeks now," and that garnered me a lot of post-session interest with a lot of people welcoming me, introducing me to community VIPs, exchanging e-mail addresses, getting a couple of business cards, etc. I felt very humbled by this, but then again I have a hunch that with all of the pseudo-political sub-factions that are now being drawn up as people "choose sides" in Reston on different issues that people were just competing to rally me to THEIR particular cause before joining the side of the "opposition" (who was it said something along the lines of "A House Divided Amongst Itself Shall Fail?")

I'm well aware of those bicycle lanes on Lawyer's Road, Normie, and they're really NOT an optimal idea. That road can become very congested during the evening rush-hour, and with narrowing down this road with frequent blind curves to just one lane of each travel in each direction I'm already envisionining numerous head-on collisions in that center lane as impatient people use it to illegally pass slow pokes in front of them only to round a bend and hit a vehicle head-on that is stopped waiting to LEGALLY turn left. That happened frequently along a similar road that enjoyed those "improvements" in NEPA, and with the heightened road rage in NoVA it sounds like an even more dangerous proposition. I wouldn't want to bike along Lawyer's Road unless the bike lane was SEGREGATED from the lanes of travel by some sort of barrier. With how I've been observing people in front of me swerving frequently out of their travel lane as they try to text message while driving that's also another tragedy waiting to happen as some stressed soccer mom in her Range Rover spills her coffee and veers slightly to the right, clipping a cyclist while driving at 45 miles per hour (or more I'd imagine in most cases). I met a woman tonight who lives along that roadway and had similar concerns; these were echoed by SEVERAL individuals on the Restonian blog not long ago. I applaud the town...errr..."census designated place" for trying to be pro-active in encouraging cycling, but I feel as if very little comparative research went into that particular decision to examine all of those "risks" many of us have brought to light.

Basically you're telling me "stay in line; you ought to be seen and not heard." I don't buy that. I won't be the first one who has moved to Reston and has wanted to bring about positive change nor will I be the last one. Are my pro-pedestrian/pro-cycling at the expense of sacrificing the automobile sorts of perspectives very popular in NoVA? Not at all. Does that deter me? Nope. After tonight's very boisterous meeting I'm sure I'm by far not the only one who is worried NoVA is charging towards a path of automobile-dependency at a time when fuel prices are likely to spike again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromVAtoNC View Post
One of many things? You have a whole list? Oh Lord....
I'm not your Lord the last time I checked.

Old 06-17-2009, 07:17 AM

15,400 posts, read 25,789,718 times
Well Scran, all I can say is I hope it works out for. I'm glad you had fun last night, and very glad that you are making some local friends. But frankly I have a feeling that you are going to learn some life lessons the hard way. But that's ok--sometimes that's the best way to learn.

Here's a little bit of reality: You'll be much more successful if you don't try so hard. People who try to make a big splash when they first join a group or when they first move into town often end up disillusioned or disappointed--arrogance has a way of backfiring. But who knows, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you and maybe things will go well. But whatever happens, don't come whining to us if you start feeling "everybody hates me." We tried to warn you.

Old 06-17-2009, 08:47 AM

27 posts, read 98,817 times
There's a difference between having bike trails and having walkable neighborhoods- I prefer to live mostly without a car, and Arlington provides enough density to do that, while Reston still caters primarily to drivers with big surface parking and big roads between clumps of big box stores. When I go running in Arlington, the grid street layout ensure I can decide at any time to make a loop back toward home, and the higher density ensures there are people and lights when I'm running at night. In Reston you are more likely to be on a single lonely trail without many intersections, and if you want to venture off of the trail, you'll end up staring across another gigantic parking lot. I don't know if it matters to people who expect to drive most places, but when you expect to walk everywhere, the sprawling car-centric development becomes very apparent. (though I will say the real Reston Town Center is walkable enough- it just isn't integrated into a whole walkable region, and doesn't have enough transit options between regions- it isn't the same as living at a metro stop and going out in DC without a car or taxi)

Old 06-20-2009, 11:54 AM

42,639 posts, read 44,123,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
I apologize if this has been asked before. I've combed through the threads but didn't really find anything that addressed all the things I'm looking for. Basically, here's my situation:

I'm in IT.
I'm in my 30s.
I'm single.
I have no kids.
I have a dog.
I need something with at least 2 bedrooms.

Ideally, I'd like to work in the suburbs and from what I hear, NOVA has lots of IT jobs in the suburbs and not just in downtown DC. Even though I'm single, I prefer living in the suburbs since you get more space and a less congestion. At the same time, I don't want to live where it's nothing but families. So can anyone suggest what areas in NOVA I should look at? I'd want to be reasonably close to where IT jobs are, still have access to downtown DC, and be surrounded by a good number of other 30something singles. Lastly (and I know this is asking a lot), it has to someplace affordable. IT pays well, but I know the market has slowed down and I also don't want to spend a ridiculous amount for something small and rundown. Just to give you an idea of what I consider reasonable, where I currently live a 2-bed/2 bath runs for around $1200 a month. Still pricey, but within my means. Down the road, I'd hope to buy. And someplace the traffic isn't horrible. Again, I know that's relative. I know bad traffic is everywhere. Just someplace where you can get to work in under an hour.
I think you should move to pa....We have IT jobs...and im single and 31

Old 06-20-2009, 07:25 PM

786 posts, read 923,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post

I'm sorry Scran but don't you see how silly you're being? I don't know why you don't like to use any of these walking paths: Reston Paths but please stop and think about how foolish you will look if stand up at a meeting and go into one of your rants.
Silly?
I think he has a very legitimate point. I personally find it ridiculous that there are so many streets without sidewalks in Reston; that and the lack of streetlights as well. True, there are all of these bike trails, but the routes are very confusing. It isn't too much to ask to have a paved sidewalk on the side of the streets. It's not like Fairfax County doesn't have the money to do that. I when I talk to people who live in Reston about this, I'd say most of them agree with me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia