Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 07:20 PM

185 posts, read 533,314 times

Advertisements

Hello,

We're relocating.

Which high school would you recommend and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2009, 08:12 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,366,503 times
They are both top-of-the-line schools, quite highly rated. Langley serves kids from McLean and Great Falls. These are very upscale areas, so you are going to have a lot of monied kids and not so much diversity. Oakton serves kids from a less wealthy (but still quite well-to-do) and more diverse community stretching from the west side of Vienna, through the south side of Oakton, then north of Fairfax and on out to north of Chantilly. Both schools are well appointed and sit on attractive grounds. Oakton HS is just down the street from the Vienna Metro station, making dropoff at school on the way to work a possibility for some. Some folks might see more difference between the two, but subtract out the snootiness advantage that Langley might have (deservedly), and I wouldn't see so much to separate them. It would come down to parsing degrees of excellence in my mind...

Old 05-07-2009, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
They are both top-of-the-line schools, quite highly rated. Langley serves kids from McLean and Great Falls. These are very upscale areas, so you are going to have a lot of monied kids and not so much diversity. Oakton serves kids from a less wealthy (but still quite well-to-do) and more diverse community stretching from the west side of Vienna, through the south side of Oakton, then north of Fairfax and on out to north of Chantilly. Both schools are well appointed and sit on attractive grounds. Oakton HS is just down the street from the Vienna Metro station, making dropoff at school on the way to work a possibility for some. Some folks might see more difference between the two, but subtract out the snootiness advantage that Langley might have (deservedly), and I wouldn't see so much to separate them. It would come down to parsing degrees of excellence in my mind...
THANK YOU! I shall keep Oakton at the top of my list. I'm too old for snootiness. The less the better.

Old 05-08-2009, 06:45 AM

2,462 posts, read 8,887,695 times
It really comes down to where you want to live. Langley is one of those "sought-after" schools that real estate agents highlight in their brochures, but if McLean works better than the Oakton area for your family, don't worry about the "snootiness" factor at Langley, since many of those families will be sending their kids to private schools in any event.
Langley, McLean, Oakton, Madison are all excellent schools. If you're considering communities served by these schools, you can make your decision based upon other factors (proximity to workplace, housing styles, cost, etc.) rather than making the school the determining factor.

Old 05-08-2009, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claremarie View Post
It really comes down to where you want to live. Langley is one of those "sought-after" schools that real estate agents highlight in their brochures, but if McLean works better than the Oakton area for your family, don't worry about the "snootiness" factor at Langley, since many of those families will be sending their kids to private schools in any event.
Langley, McLean, Oakton, Madison are all excellent schools. If you're considering communities served by these schools, you can make your decision based upon other factors (proximity to workplace, housing styles, cost, etc.) rather than making the school the determining factor.
Thank you once again. May I ask you what the commute time would be into GWU Med Ctr from these communities? I hear traffic is awful. My husband would be leaving @ 6 - 6:15 AM. I understand there is a Metro in Oakton? How long would that take? We're coming from Newton, MA: our real estate looks similar in the communities you mentioned. But we're looking for smaller, quieter (Newton is 18 sq miles with a population of 80,000). Oakton seems to fit that profile.

Old 05-08-2009, 08:31 AM

5,125 posts, read 10,040,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
I'm with Saganista on this one. Langley has slightly higher test scores, and Oakton sports teams often excel in district and regional competition, but the differences really aren't significant enough to drive a decision where to buy a house, particularly when compared to other factors such as commuting. Also keep in mind that Fairfax is a county-wide school system, so there is always the possibility of redistricting (the western portion of the Oakton HS district, in particular, has been adjusted frequently).

Old 05-08-2009, 08:53 AM

722 posts, read 1,973,352 times
There is a Metro station in Vienna, which is right next to Oakton. You can use this site to figure out how long your commute would be on Metro from any given address:

Metro - Rider Tools - Trip Planner

Old 05-08-2009, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by athousandlogins View Post
there is a metro station in vienna, which is right next to oakton. You can use this site to figure out how long your commute would be on metro from any given address:

metro - rider tools - trip planner
thank you!

Old 05-08-2009, 09:24 AM

2,462 posts, read 8,887,695 times
From my old house in McLean, right off the GW Parkway, that commute would be a piece of cake, especially at 6 am. 20 minutes, maybe less. Actually, pretty much any commute is bearable at that early hour.

Old 05-08-2009, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claremarie View Post
From my old house in McLean, right off the GW Parkway, that commute would be a piece of cake, especially at 6 am. 20 minutes, maybe less. Actually, pretty much any commute is bearable at that early hour.
You just made my day.
How about the reverse commute leaving @ 6 pm?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia