Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 08:21 PM

172 posts, read 563,803 times

Advertisements

How's the noise level being sandwiched in between townhomes vs. apartments? Are most townhomes built somewhat more sound proof? I so dread going back to this sort of living arrangement b/c of the noise levels. It is only temporary, so I'm sure I can adjust, I'm just hoping to hear that town homes are not as "noisy" as apts. TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2009, 08:41 PM

428 posts, read 1,114,484 times
You won't have the noise from residents below or (worse) above you, but I think the noise from either side will depend on the quality of the construction. I imagine there's some variation from one townhome to another.

Old 05-08-2009, 04:44 AM

281 posts, read 1,008,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by themommy View Post
You won't have the noise from residents below or (worse) above you, but I think the noise from either side will depend on the quality of the construction. I imagine there's some variation from one townhome to another.
I agree - it's probably largely variable, but I feel as though newer townhomes have much better soundproofing than older ones.

From our experience, a townhome is much quieter. We had a family with 6 small children living next to us, and we couldn't hear a thing. When we lived in an apartment, it was constant thuds or loud voices.

Old 05-08-2009, 05:43 AM

1,848 posts, read 3,724,411 times
I have lived in two TH's in the area and haven't heard a peep. We have little kids next door and the only sound I have every hear is when the baby cried by the window...they had their window open and so did I. I do hear them on the stairways...sometimes. It is more like a light thud..as they run up and down stairs. We do the same thing...and we are a pretty loud family

I would be more concerned with the immediate surroundings. Can you look at/into the house behind yours. Our last house did...it was my husbands boss...made going out on the patio a little weird. Are you on top of the parking lot...lots of noise there, slamming doors etc.

I am in end unit...which is great for light in the unit, but heating and ac bills are much higher. We have a complete wall of windows..pretty but not practical. But there is a patch of woods on that side...before the next unit starts, so great privacy...in the summer and we back to woods..essential for us. Some places also have staggered back decks...so you aren't right on top of the other people. If it's temporary, not a big issue, but those little things can affect your quality of life. Nothing like standing there in your bathrobe and the kid next door is hanging on the railing and peering into your house.

Old 05-08-2009, 11:48 AM

172 posts, read 563,803 times
Yes - I think the townhome option best suits us - and I'm so glad to know it's pretty peaceful! I still remember my apartment days right after college - I was in my bathroom getting ready for work when I heard my neighbor sneeze & then actually "use" the bathroom (I know, TMI! sorry!). I was horrified, LOL! Didn't stay in that apartment for long.

Old 05-08-2009, 11:58 AM

738 posts, read 2,956,082 times
I bought my townhouse back in the beginning of January, but I didnt meet one of my neighbors until just the other day (no one comes out much in the winter I guess).

Anyhow, while we were talking, she apologized that they were always loud and that her kids slammed the doors and ran up/down the stairs a lot. She was surprised when I told her that in our 4 months of living there, I've hardly heard a peep from them! I think I can occasionally hear a faint thud from cabinets being closed hard, but it's very very rare. She also said they never hear us, and sometimes I have the TV up pretty loud. I have a drum set in the basement too that I've been afraid to play b/c of the loudness, but I may not worry so much if I use quiet sticks on it (no, I'm not that inconsiderate to the neighbors, I've only tapped on it a few times in the middle of the day). The sound proofing is excellent.

So I'd imagine that most newer townhouses are the same, but the insulation is excellent between the houses and blocks out other sounds extremely well. I hear the main road across the street far more than the neighbors, and the road wouldn't make a difference b/n townhouse or house.

Old 05-08-2009, 01:27 PM

1,848 posts, read 3,724,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleur~de~lis View Post
Yes - I think the townhome option best suits us - and I'm so glad to know it's pretty peaceful! I still remember my apartment days right after college - I was in my bathroom getting ready for work when I heard my neighbor sneeze & then actually "use" the bathroom (I know, TMI! sorry!). I was horrified, LOL! Didn't stay in that apartment for long.
I so understand that. We lived in a place in Europe, where you heard the neighbors brush their teeth, shave...that sound of the razor hitting the side of the sink. But in the next building over a young newlywed was asked to change his bedroom. Seems the master shared a wall with the neighbors kids room. Didn't take long for the word to get out that they were rather...shall we say active. Didn't see that young wife for awhile! I bought a sound machine...still use to this day.

Old 05-08-2009, 04:01 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,889,151 times
I have never had noise in apartment problems (all different states than VA) but our TH is loud-we hear the TV and stereo of our neighbor plus the noise from cars in the parking lot at all hours. I should add that I live in a TH I'm guessing is from the 80's and I've never lived in anything so "new".

Old 05-09-2009, 01:55 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,948,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleur~de~lis View Post
How's the noise level being sandwiched in between townhomes vs. apartments? Are most townhomes built somewhat more sound proof? I so dread going back to this sort of living arrangement b/c of the noise levels. It is only temporary, so I'm sure I can adjust, I'm just hoping to hear that town homes are not as "noisy" as apts. TIA!
I always found the noise on the outside to be a bigger problem. Townhouses seem to attract LOTS of noisy, yelling, kids, and adults with very noisy cars, trucks and motorcycles. Oh, and adults who insist on screaming down the street at their kids or spouse.

Old 05-09-2009, 12:01 PM

1,148 posts, read 3,737,752 times
I live in a townhouse built in the nineties in Ashburn. I can hardly ever hear my neighbors, only when the kids are crying loud and when the moms are screaming (meaning they can hear me screaming as well). So you cannot hear normal daily sounds apart from the screaming. I say this with a smile because I heard the neighbor woman scream and yell so much last night that I felt better about not being the only loud woman in the neighborhood, LOL.

A friend on mine lives in a newer townhouse in South Riding and says she can hear EVERYTHING, even when someone coughs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia