U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 11:48 AM

26 posts, read 95,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbrn4 View Post
Okay, where do you live and what do you drive? My husband and I make that much and we have a large home in Ashburn, two cars (one brand new w/payments), one son in college and one just out (we paid for them and their cars) and while we're not swimming in money, we're very comfortable. The level the op will be living at is just "starting out" which we all have done, and have struggeled, but 43K just isn't enough. I'm sure there are plenty of people who post here and live in NOVA that make half what we do who think anyone complaining about making 200K not being enough will think that's nuts. Yeah, 200K in the middle of the country is a lot of money, but good luck making that salary elsewhere.
Ok, should qualify that a bit. Live in a nice area, drive a beatup 10 year old car, but many years of student loans are taking their toll. So, if you're debt free and don't mind living outside the Beltway, yes, it's crazy talk. Thanks for the reality check. Still, 43k can be done in the area, but it will be pretty tight. I would stay where you're at unless they seriously sweeten the pot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2007, 01:05 PM

2,408 posts, read 13,342,592 times
I disagree with most people here. You can survive on 43K just fine, especially if you rent out a room in someone's home, but even an apartment on it's own should be doable provided you keep track of your finances and don't have bad spending habits or severe debt/bills that you're paying off. With that said, I agree with everyone else in that the raise in salary isn't enough to offset the cost of living increase and from a purely financial perspective, would not be worth it.

Old 10-19-2007, 08:52 AM

2 posts, read 3,198 times
I have moved from Tidewater to Chantilly Virginia two years ago and can tell you the quality of life is MUCH better in Chantilly. Yes, I paid for it. Gladly. To those who are leaving the area, good-bye.

Old 10-19-2007, 02:26 PM

1,123 posts, read 4,796,500 times
4 years ago I moved from Centreville to Portsmouth because I couldn't afford it anymore. I was paying 1600 a mo for mortgage with a little help from my parents (lived 'rented' the basement from me). I was probably making 45k including a part time job. I just lived from paycheck to paycheck.

Honestly, if you worked in Chantilly, you could live further out and get a lower rent, or rent a room etc, but the stress IS NOT WORTH IT!!!!
Traffic will be bad - even just to Chantilly. Yes, you will have every store or restaurant you could ever want within 15 minutes, but money will probably be tight. The overall 'feel' of NoVa is just very stressfull, even on the weekends. Things like cleaners and car repairs will cost more - even food. Not terribly noticeable at first, but they really add up over time.

I will say this, if you are young, and you really want to try it..... now is the time. When you get older it gets harder to move. I had to wait until I was 41 and one child graduated (the other was still in elementary) until I felt like I could get out.

I love every minute of my less stress life in Hampton Roads....
Never again will I move back.

Old 10-19-2007, 04:14 PM

2,688 posts, read 5,950,700 times
I agree with the others, that additional amount of salary is not nearly enough to cover your higher cost of living here.

Old 10-19-2007, 04:19 PM

2,688 posts, read 5,950,700 times
To the OP, if you would like to tell us what your current living situation is (apartment or house, and what size) and how long your current commute is (time, not miles), we could give you an idea of what you would pay for a similar size place with the same length of commute.

Old 12-04-2007, 12:27 PM

2 posts, read 3,198 times
Default Centreville to Portsmouth

There is no comparison between Centreville and Portsmouth. P-Town has a lot of poverty and a very high crime rate. That would be like comparing inner city Baltimore to McLean. Yes, it does cost more to live in Northern Virginia than Tidewater. You pay to live in a better economy and nice community. It's up to the individual whether the price they pay is worth it to them. These are 2006 figures.

Centreville vs. P-Town
Avg. Family Income $107,532 vs. $43,229
Personal Crime Risk 17 vs. 194
Property Crime RisK 59 vs. 184
Avg Home Price $400,000 vs. $130,000
Test Scores (0 = state avg.)
Math 3.0 vs. -9.0
Reading 7.6 vs. -9.6

Last edited by omegagal; 12-04-2007 at 12:42 PM..

Old 12-04-2007, 12:41 PM

1,123 posts, read 4,796,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omegagal View Post
There is no comparison between Centreville and Portsmouth. P-Town has a lot of poverty and a very high crime rate. That would be like comparing inner city Baltimore to McLean. Yes, it does cost more to live in Northern Virginia than Tidewater. You pay to live in a better economy and nice community. It's up to the individual whether the price they pay is worth it to them.
If you are talking to me, then you are right in saying there is no comparison between Centreville and Portsmouth. However, I live in a safe neighborhood - albeit older. I also have a SFH with a large fenced in yard -something I didn't have in Centreville. My quality of life here is 100% better because I spend much less time in traffic, have more disposable income, and am closer to family. I chose to leave the fancy subdivision and quit giving all my hard earned dollars to Fairfax County. Working hard just to give it all away is not my idea of good life.

One poster stated they had a combined income of 200k and felt like they couldn't afford to live in NoVa anymore. Doesn't that sound wrong???? Make darn good money that should be plenty to live on, but it just doesn't pay the bills anymore. It is very sad that it takes 500K to buy a house in NoVa - to me that is just a waste of money.

Old 12-07-2007, 06:17 AM

3,504 posts, read 7,917,991 times
200k and not enough money? How can that be?
We make WAYYY less than that and live in a decent single family home and are O.K. How can you need 200k a year just to survive?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia