U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 11:50 AM

6,111 posts, read 5,064,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcity View Post
I think the fact that the Silver Line is being built to Tysons, and Reston, and eventually to Dulles, WAY beyond the beltway, pretty much shoots this theory down.

You are far too trusting. I wont accept that we have things like the Silver Line or in my part of this fine metropolis the Purple Line until I hear "Stand Back, Doors Closing". What are the odds that it will be on time, stay in budget or even survive the inevitable change of power in Richmond. The GOP can't wait to exchange the Silver Line for a big juicy tax cut. Also with the Pros from Dover handling this project whats a few design foul-ups pr technical flubs amongst friends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2009, 12:18 PM

6,111 posts, read 5,064,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
In other words the Silver Line, which would ease heinous rush-hour congestion in many parts of NoVA by providing residents with the opportunity and relative ease of utilizing mass transit to reach their destinations, could have been completed by now had it not been from needless stalling by suburban NIMBYs who have a fear of anything "urban?" This adds an entirely new twist into my grievance about the mass transit system that has failed to keep pace with growth, as prior to learning this I had presumed it was 100% the result of the lack of being able to obtain adequate financing, in which case I'd be more willing to give this issue a "free pass." Now, however, I think it's amusing that some of the very same people complaining about traffic congestion in NoVA were also the ones opposing extension of the Metro due to unrealistic fears of minorities from the city using it to flood into their wholesome towns and drive down their property values.

If anything property values tend to rise around Metro stations, as evidenced by the fact that Arlington's three distinctive major urban centers (Ballston, Clarendon, Rosslyn) sprung up densely around the Metro stations as people deemed this to be an asset. It's nice to know that I'll be waiting in traffic for additional years to get in and out of DC partially because some short-sighted NIMBYs fought against mass transit that would have eased the commute times and aggravation of many. There's a reason, folks, why New York City, while being home to well over 8,000,000 in a metropolitan area of around 20,000,000 that now covers four states, has probably the same level of traffic congestion (judging from our driving experiences in both cities) as metropolitan Washington, DC, which only has a fraction of the population. It's because of two words: mass transit. Whenever my friends from NEPA venture into the city we utilize the subway and are always amazed by how congested they are as people in NYC don't "fear" mass transit the way some apparently must in NoVA if they fought against the Silver Line. Why on Earth would people fight against that?

Actually most of New York's MTA system was built before the First World War when there wasn't cheap automobiles and the prevailing alternative could present a public health problem. It was built a century ago and looks like it. The DC system comes from an era when we could shoot the Moon and did it. It is a contemporary of San Franciscos BART system or Atlantas MARTA. It has had to contend with the "Government is a problem crowd" and hasn't done all that badly. At least they try to keep the carpets clean and still have seats on METROrail. As for station design they must have consulted with Albert Speer.

Old 05-10-2009, 12:55 PM

2,010 posts, read 2,702,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
And Ditto for my family too.

And if anyone on this forum expressed hostility against military families (first i've heard about "freeloading military Families" just know that us military families are paying rent and mortages (and property taxes) and buying groceries and paying sales tax and putting money into your local economy all while working to protect ya'll backsides from hostile countries. I guess that is another thing i hate about this area. Some NoVA residents think better of illegal aliens than military families.
Another poster was on here late one night, railing on military families being 'freeloaders' and taking over the PTAs, the Boy Scouts, etc., The notion of military families hijacking social events from the well-connected, wealthier families here in noVA was absurd (and funny!). He was particularly upset that some military members kept their cars licensed in Texas or Florida.

This area can be very condescending to military families. If you are moving here from Australia or Europe for business or diplomatic jobs, you get an abundance of flattery and suggestions for particular status areas. Readers do notice the difference in the responses.

As a military spouse who rents, it seems like honest information and experiences are suppressed by a few posters who are trying to push their particular area, maintain a particular image, and protect their home values. Some readers need information about safe areas to rent that are affordable (not uppity) and get very little useful help.

The nature of this area is *change*. Both a blessing, and a curse. But the beauty of it is, with new people, many areas will change over time. What used to be an upscale area may become less appealing when pampered teens begin dealing in drugs, and a less affluent area may become very charming because new families finally have an opportunity to become homeowners.

Old 05-10-2009, 01:08 PM

30,108 posts, read 67,215,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern435 View Post
Another poster was on here late one night, railing on military families being 'freeloaders' and taking over the PTAs, the Boy Scouts, etc., The notion of military families hijacking social events from the well-connected, wealthier families here in noVA was absurd (and funny!). He was particularly upset that some military members kept their cars licensed in Texas or Florida.

This area can be very condescending to military families. If you are moving here from Australia or Europe for business or diplomatic jobs, you get an abundance of flattery and suggestions for particular status areas. Readers do notice the difference in the responses.

As a military spouse who rents, it seems like honest information and experiences are suppressed by a few posters who are trying to push their particular area, maintain a particular image, and protect their home values. Some readers need information about safe areas to rent that are affordable (not uppity) and get very little useful help.

The nature of this area is *change*. Both a blessing, and a curse. But the beauty of it is, with new people, many areas will change over time. What used to be an upscale area may become less appealing when pampered teens begin dealing in drugs, and a less affluent area may become very charming because new families finally have an opportunity to become homeowners.
The sheer notion that some on here would have the audacity to disparage the families of those who are working to protect and serve our nation disgusts me, but I can't say I'm surprised since I've also received an attitude of "you must not be able to hack it in the private sector" from some people who are jealous of those who are employed by the government in general, even though I have proven through my last job in the private sector where I was an above-average sales person that I can "cut it" in either sector.

Old 05-10-2009, 01:14 PM

5,210 posts, read 9,105,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Who said that I "can't stand" NoVA? In case some of you haven't noticed I'm excited about my impending relocation and both the challenges and opportunities that are now being presented to me. It's unfortunate though that I've spent 80% of my time on this forum defending the few negative opinions I do rightfully and honestly possess from people telling me I'm not allowed to harbor them for whatever weak reason.

Just review my "pros" list. This move will be a MAJOR rise up the quality-of-life ladder for me from my former hometown in what is often times a socially-regressive part of Pennsylvania, and I look forward to becoming active with local civic groups to volunteer my time and efforts in the community and look forward to challenging local elected officials tooth-and-nail if I deem them to be making erroneous decisions that while beneficial in the short-term may detrimentally impact our quality-of-lives in the long-term. I'm just irritated that my narrow "cons" list has led so many to assume that I "hate" NoVA. Since when has it become a requirement for you to automatically like 100% of what an area has to offer in order for you to be allowed to "like" an area overall? As I've said many times prior anyone who attempts to overlook and ignore the negatives of an area is only doing a disservice to not only themselves by not wanting to take corrective actions to help improve their lives but also to prospective newcomers who aren't being given a complete overview of the area, more often than not by those who are trying to artificially inflate the region's image to bolster their own housing values.
It seems that you're attracted to all of the advantages of the area (jobs, income, opportunities, culture, amenities, relative safety, schools) - you want all of that. It's the high rental/home prices that you dislike.

I hate the fact that my oceanfront beach rental costs so darned much. But I understand that if I want the view, I've got to pay more for it.

Old 05-10-2009, 06:08 PM

4,711 posts, read 10,866,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern435 View Post

This area can be very condescending to military families.....

Sorry Fern, I was just relating my own personal experiences with the military. Many, many acquaintances share my opinion but fear being labeled "unpatriotic". I normally keep my opinions, in this regard, to myself....for example, you'll never ever find me over at the military forum trying to start trouble. Somebody must have hit a nerve on the night in question! LOL.

I worked for DoD for almost 30 years and am very familiar with the lifer military mindset, so you'll have to excuse me if I don't get misty at the thought of your "sacrifice"....

PS: I do support our troops....through huge quarterly payments to the IRS...

Old 05-10-2009, 06:18 PM

2,010 posts, read 2,702,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
Sorry Fern, I was just relating my own personal experiences with the military. Many, many acquaintances share my opinion but fear being labeled "unpatriotic". I normally keep my opinions, in this regard, to myself....for example, you'll never ever find me over at the military forum trying to start trouble. Somebody must have hit a nerve on the night in question! LOL.

I worked for DoD for almost 30 years and am very familiar with the lifer military mindset, so you'll have to excuse me if I don't get misty at the thought of your "sacrifice"....
Your stereotypes do not apply to me, nor my family. I can guarantee that. I do not ask for you to get misty-eyed on my behalf.

You almost are my type--I saw the link with you playing the banjo on one post!--but then you start posting tired old cliches, and it really kills the feeling. I like people who think outside of their little box.

Thank you for sharing!

Old 05-10-2009, 07:30 PM

11,376 posts, read 20,172,662 times
Let's all virtually hug and start over.

Old 05-10-2009, 08:02 PM

7,966 posts, read 18,048,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
Remember ScranBarre, if you one think one negative thing about this area, the way NoVA is they will ASSume that you hate it. I know you are excited to come here as I am to leave here.
Am I right to "assume" that your caps lock got stuck for a moment there..? (Careful with the language...)

Quote:
I truly hate NoVA but even i have a couple of positives. I've gotten opportunites here that i didnt have in Hampton, VA and i've learned about a lot of different cultures. In short, I've gone a long way into finding myself here.
While you have been consistent with your dislike for Northern Virginia, you've not only been generally constructive with your criticism but you also have a plan to move somewhere that will make you happy. In the meantime, you've managed to even find a few "diamonds in the rough".

Quote:
To sum it up, NoVA is not the place i want to use my skills and passion.
One can respect that. No place is for everybody.

Old 05-10-2009, 08:03 PM

7,966 posts, read 18,048,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Let's all virtually hug and start over.
I could go for that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or