U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 11:41 AM

241 posts, read 905,081 times

Advertisements

I keep reading posts on this forum about people being rude and unfriendly. I've so far only come across rude drivers not met anyone in person who's been rude or unfriendly. Maybe I'm one of those rude and unfriendly people, so I wanted to get your perspective on things. Can anyone define for me whats considered "rude" here.

- If I have only 10 minutes to go get my grocery shopping done and so I do not strike up conversations with people around me, is that considered rude?
- If I do not smile at people walking by me in the mall, or in the restaurant, (unless they smile at me first), is that rude?
- If I just wave hi to my neighbor, ask how they've been and then continue with my gardening or cleaning or whatever I was doing and not chat about the weather or anything else, is that rude?

Last edited by Samara11; 05-11-2009 at 11:42 AM.. Reason: oops, typo in subject....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2009, 12:10 PM

1,148 posts, read 3,362,541 times
Nope thats not rude. Many busy people act like that. IMO being rude is pushing people around, bitching at customer service people (post office comes to mind), cutting people off in traffic just because they think they're more important than anyone else etc. So I guess rude people are everywhere! I've just met a few more in this area than anyplace else.

Old 05-11-2009, 12:25 PM

30,101 posts, read 67,193,623 times
Outside of this forum I didn't experience even one "rude" person over our three-day visit to Northern Virginia, and that is not a lie. I would hold doors for people, and they'd say "Thanks." The couple at the cafe I mentioned earlier bent over backwards to try to help us and welcome us, complete strangers from hundreds of miles away, to the area, even though they had nothing to "gain" by it. Normie, though older, braved an ailment to photograph areas for me to consider as I did my apartment-hunting and she, too, is a complete stranger.

Perhaps I'm just jaded though because I've grown up in an area where many people are more miserable-leaning because they blame their coal mining ancestry's poor treatment for why many of them can't hack it professionally today. I regularly will be the one to strike up a random conversation with someone in line, will hold doors for people, will smile and say "Hello" or "Good morning" to someone I walk past on the street, etc. More often than not people try to edge out of my idle banter uncomfortably, don't acknowledge I've held a door for them, and will grunt inaudibly like the GEICO caveman if I greet them as I run by them. At my former workplace I was once helping a customer along with one of my managers, and both proceeded to start gay-bashing when they got off into some sort of tangent in casual conversation as they tried to "bond." I lost all respect for that manager that day to degrade an employee's demographic in front of him in order to sweetheart a sale, but I can't say I'm surprised because racism/homophobia in my area is still sadly alive and prevalent.

Despite the three cons I keep dwelling upon in the other thread this move is going to be a HUGE step upwards for me. I just wish people on this forum would stop RUDELY telling me "If you don't like it then giiiitttt out" for pointing out just a few concerns for discussion.

Old 05-11-2009, 12:53 PM

48 posts, read 55,529 times
Yes... pushing people around and being rude to customer service. Also getting in front of you when you are next in line to order lunch because you forgot to ask for ketchup or need directions. You still need to get in line buddy! Or talking on the cell phone during movies, doctor exams, or even while communicating with customer service and slowing down the whole line. Just because it rings doesn't mean you need to answer it.

Old 05-11-2009, 12:56 PM

48 posts, read 55,529 times
Or butting in line because you don't speak english well and apparently in your country people don't have lines. So when you show then the line they claim that they can't speak english. But they can order a hamburger with fries very well.

Old 05-11-2009, 01:03 PM

1,261 posts, read 5,607,075 times
I haven't used the term "rude" to describe NOVA people on this forum, but what I find rude is when people you see regularly (e.g., other parents at school) avoid eye contact at all cost and don't reply to "hi." Some people act as if you are not even standing next to them. The other thing I find rude is when my child says "hi" to someone at the playground, library, check-out counter, etc., and the adult/child can't even reciprocate with a "hello."

Old 05-11-2009, 01:05 PM

6,226 posts, read 6,822,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runnerup View Post
Or butting in line because you don't speak english well and apparently in your country people don't have lines. So when you show then the line they claim that they can't speak english. But they can order a hamburger with fries very well.
I've noticed this before and a world traveling relative of mine explained in some countries, standing in line and waiting your turn is not something many cultures are accustomed to, they do things differently. Not sure what differently is, but to me it could be "first come first served"

Old 05-11-2009, 01:20 PM

2,010 posts, read 2,701,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlv311 View Post
I haven't used the term "rude" to describe NOVA people on this forum, but what I find rude is when people you see regularly (e.g., other parents at school) avoid eye contact at all cost and don't reply to "hi." Some people act as if you are not even standing next to them. The other thing I find rude is when my child says "hi" to someone at the playground, library, check-out counter, etc., and the adult/child can't even reciprocate with a "hello."
We've experienced this too, particularly at the old neighborhood where we used to rent. And they would talk about friends and teachers behind each other's back. It was strange. But they always came up with the damage-control spin to protect the image of their neighborhood, even when a man threatened to kill himself in his backyard. That was a bizarre afternoon, with Fairfax County helicopters and the police blocking the streets...

Old 05-11-2009, 01:25 PM

385 posts, read 1,108,560 times
mobile phone, no turn signal, no assets......

Old 05-11-2009, 01:41 PM

30,101 posts, read 67,193,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by horseplayer View Post
no turn signal
Really? I pointed it out that NoVA drivers were generally speaking VERY skilled. Many were using their turn signals, and even on heinous Route 7 as soon as we flipped on our blinker it wouldn't take someone long to leave a large enough break in traffic for someone to let us merge in (perhaps they were just thinking "Uh oh. Those Pennsylvanians don't know how to drive so I better get out of their way?!") LOL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or