U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 05:51 PM

21 posts, read 41,533 times

Advertisements

Hey Everyone!

I'm considering a relocation to NOVA and I'm just looking at housing. I'm finding decent houses in our price range ($500-$550) in Herndon (mostly zip 20170) and was wondering about the area. A few of the houses are in the Sugar Land area (?) north of the Dulles Access Road.

How would that area be for a young family (2 year-old and another on the way) and a stay at home mom? Schools, parks etc.

Also, how bad would the commute be into Tyson's Corner? Looks like you could take the access road or highway 7.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2009, 06:54 PM

15,400 posts, read 25,787,570 times
Where are you commuting to in Tysons? If the building's west of 123, Rt. 7 will be ok (although you'll be happier if you leave before rush hour). 123 is going to be a bear this summer because of construction going on there.

The Sugarland Run area is older, a little run down, but basically a nice neighborhood. It's very convenient to shopping, NOVA Community College, and the library. However... if you're looking at Sugarland Run, I'd suggest also checking into Countryside and Cascades. IMO, they're just a little bit nicer and you can sometimes find some bargains in the 20165 zip code. But if you find a house you love in Sugarland Run, go for it--it's a good place.

I don't know all the neighborhoods in 20170, but I think most of them are ok. Your best bet is to check them out in person. When you drive through the neighborhood you'll get a feeling for it. If a place seems like an incredible bargain, however, I'd be dubious. Something is probably wrong with it.

Old 05-11-2009, 11:15 PM

Thanks for the feedback.

I'm not sure if it was actually in Sugarland Run, but that's the closest thing I saw on google maps when looking up a few addresses of houses I liked. I also saw some south of the access road near Fairfax county parkway...all with Herndon addresses.

I find it interesting you say it is a little older. One thing I liked about the houses was they were newer (i.e. built in 90's or after). Being from the Seattle area I have lived in newer houses my whole life. The houses seemed much near than those closer to Tyson's...i.e. in Vienna and Oakton.

P.S. I'd be commuting to Jones Branch Dr. So I guess that is NW of 123.

Old 05-12-2009, 05:10 AM

2,688 posts, read 5,953,170 times
You can use the boundary locator at FCPS Home Page Redirect Page to find which schools that particular address is assigned to, and then check the individual profiles for the schools in that pyramid.

Old 05-12-2009, 06:01 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,624,315 times
There is an area in Herndon called Sugarland, also one called Sugar Creek, they are east of Fairfax County Parkway, near Route 7. Very nice areas with newer homes. On the western side of the Parkway also close to route 7 is an area called the Grand Hamptons, very nice homes on large lots. None of these are close to the Sugarland Run community, all are in Fairfax County and close to Sugarland Run the stream and Sugarland Run Stream Valley Park. All are an easy commute to Jones Branch Road. South of the Dulles Access road is also a very nice area, but a little longer commute.

Old 05-12-2009, 06:25 AM

18,717 posts, read 26,845,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmitty34 View Post
Thanks for the feedback.

I'm not sure if it was actually in Sugarland Run, but that's the closest thing I saw on google maps when looking up a few addresses of houses I liked. I also saw some south of the access road near Fairfax county parkway...all with Herndon addresses.

I find it interesting you say it is a little older. One thing I liked about the houses was they were newer (i.e. built in 90's or after). Being from the Seattle area I have lived in newer houses my whole life. The houses seemed much near than those closer to Tyson's...i.e. in Vienna and Oakton.

P.S. I'd be commuting to Jones Branch Dr. So I guess that is NW of 123.

If the homes are newer then you weren't looking at Sugarland Run. Margery steered you straight. BTW, it's very easy to get the communities confused around here, the names are similar and the boundaries are vague. When I moved here I was totally thrrown by Lee Hwy crossing Lee Jackson Highway near Lee Road.

If you're on Jones Branch Dr. you'll be ok driving on Rt. 7.

Old 05-12-2009, 07:51 AM

427 posts, read 973,741 times
I grew up in Franklin Farm (a neighborhood out in that Dulles direction) and during high school and college commuted to my job on Jones Branch Road. While there was always rush hour traffic, there were also plenty of backroads I could take to avoid the worst of it.

My parents still live in that area, and every time my husband and I head out to visit with our little one we see tons of kids of all ages out and having fun. The neighborhood features miles of walking paths, as well as ponds, tot lots, tennis/basketball courts, and swimming pools. It still seems like a great place to raise a family, and it feeds into excellent schools. I loved growing up there.

Here are a few listings that would be in your price range:

FX7041065 on FranklyMLS.com 12661 STILL POND LN, HERNDON VA for $575,000 in FRANKLIN FARM Home For Sale
FX7006327 on FranklyMLS.com 3453 INDALE CT, FAIRFAX VA for $575,000 in FRANKLIN FARM Home For Sale
FX7006327 on FranklyMLS.com 3453 INDALE CT, FAIRFAX VA for $575,000 in FRANKLIN FARM Home For Sale
FX7049148 on FranklyMLS.com 3227 ALLNESS LN, HERNDON VA for $550,000 in FRANKLIN FARM Home For Sale
FX6962023 on FranklyMLS.com 13145B ROUNDING RUN CIR, HERNDON VA for $549,900 in FRANKLIN FARM Home For Sale
FX7019735 on FranklyMLS.com 3323 FERN HOLLOW PL, HERNDON VA for $539,900 in FRANKLIN FARM Home For Sale

Not that it matters, but I realized when I was looking through the pics of the fourth one on the list that it's the house my best friend lived in when we were kids!

Old 05-12-2009, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margery View Post
There is an area in Herndon called Sugarland, also one called Sugar Creek, they are east of Fairfax County Parkway, near Route 7. Very nice areas with newer homes. On the western side of the Parkway also close to route 7 is an area called the Grand Hamptons, very nice homes on large lots. None of these are close to the Sugarland Run community, all are in Fairfax County and close to Sugarland Run the stream and Sugarland Run Stream Valley Park. All are an easy commute to Jones Branch Road. South of the Dulles Access road is also a very nice area, but a little longer commute.
You are correct, that is exactly where I was looking. After taking another look at google maps I realized there is an actual town called Sugarland Run, but it's further north. What I saw was "Sugarland Run Stream Valley Park" on the map, but everthing I was looking at was SW of route 7 and just west of Fairfax Parkway.

So it sounds like that area is pretty nice with good schools....I'll have to check it out when I am there in the next week or two.

I also saw some newer houses just east of Sugarland Run near Lowes Island that looked pretty nice. One of the developements was called Cascades. How is that area? I'm assuming the commute would be simlar to what was mentioned above since it's on route 7 most of the way.

I really appreciate the advise. I'll be in NOVA for a few days sometime next week so I am trying to figure out which areas to check out in person. I'm definitely going to check out Vienna, Oakton and Fairfax, but wanted to find a few other areas further out but still with decent commutes.

Old 05-12-2009, 12:30 PM

15,400 posts, read 25,787,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmitty34 View Post
One of the developements was called Cascades. How is that area? I'm assuming the commute would be simlar to what was mentioned above since it's on route 7 most of the way.
LOL, well I think you probably already know I'm a big fan of Cascades for families with young children. So I'll keep this post short and let others give their opinions.

Briefly: Cascades is definitely worth checking out. IMO, it's pretty, and nicely designed, and has everything familes want. There are lots of families and a great school, and it's very convenient to the 7.

Old 05-12-2009, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
LOL, well I think you probably already know I'm a big fan of Cascades for families with young children. So I'll keep this post short and let others give their opinions.

Briefly: Cascades is definitely worth checking out. IMO, it's pretty, and nicely designed, and has everything familes want. There are lots of families and a great school, and it's very convenient to the 7.

Ahhh, you did mention cascades! Maybe I should read a little closer next time. I started looking at 20615 after your post and just happed to like a few houses in cascades...maybe we have similar taste.

Thanks! I am starting to feel better about this possible move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia