U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-13-2009, 03:06 PM

2 posts, read 2,989 times
Default Best place to live in NoVA for commute to Rockville

We are thinking of relocating to NoVA. We want to be someplace where my husband can take Metro or a bus to his job in Pentagon City and where I can drive in under 30 minutes to my job near White Flint Mall in North Bethesda / Rockville. I want to drive because I need to drop our infant at daycare and I'm not interested in lugging the baby on Metro.

We've previosuly lived in Capitol Hill and Montgomery Co, MD but I'm terribly unfamiliar with NoVA, especially the rush hour traffic patterns. Anyone have a suggestion for neighborhoods / zipcdoes to target? We are looking to rent.

THANKS!
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2009, 04:23 PM

2,439 posts, read 5,829,859 times
The under 30-minute thing might be tough, depending upon your time of departure in the morning. The key for you will be living as close to the Beltway/GW Parkway as possible. You might consider the neighborhoods near the East Falls Church Metro. We lived in 22213, near Tuckahoe Elementary School. I walked to the EFC Metro station, and my husband hopped right on I-66 West, took the first exit toward the Dulles Toll Road, and was on the Beltway in under 5 minutes, heading to Maryland. There are townhouses and SFHs in this area.
You could also look in McLean, where we lived more recently. I regularly drove from our neighborhood, which was right off the GW Parkway, to my sons' school near Montgomery Mall in 20-25 minutes in the mornings.

Old 05-13-2009, 06:44 PM

5,783 posts, read 5,796,702 times
Agreed that Falls Church is a good option. I lived on Route 7 near Marshall High School and commuted to Rockville - it was a pretty good commute for being on the other side of the river. If you could find a place near East Falls Church or West Falls Church Metro, I think you'd be in a pretty good place. We live in Vienna now, which is a bit farther out from either of those places. That's an option, too - maybe near the Dunn Loring or Vienna Metro Stations.

Old 05-13-2009, 07:04 PM

628 posts, read 1,075,299 times
Default It'snot clear why you want to live in VA with your family situation.

It seems that you would be making a difficult commute for both of you living in VA near the Tyson's area. With you in charge of the baby, IMHO your location choice should give you the easiest commute. Why not live in Montgomery County near the line that runs to Gaithersburg? That makes it easy on you, and I doubt your hubbie's commute to the Pentagon is significantly more arduous on the Metro train from there as it would by Metro from Falls Church/Tysons/McLean. You don't mention if you are locked into day care in VA, so perhaps that's your limiting factor.

Old 05-13-2009, 07:34 PM

2 posts, read 2,989 times
Thanks for the excellent feedback! Keep it coming! @statecollege: we are also looking in Mont Co, I just thought we might want to cast a wider net.

Old 05-14-2009, 05:24 AM

7,190 posts, read 8,910,676 times
Definitely agree that Montgomery County is probably better for you. If there's one thing this region could use, it is fewer cars on the Am. Legion bridge. Look along the Red Line for a place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: