U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2009, 10:03 AM

11 posts, read 32,902 times

Advertisements

We will be moving to Northern Virginia from Indiana in July, and wanted to know which are the safest areas to live in. I will be working in Alexandria, VA 22314, but I am open to all areas to live, except I think Reston area may be a little far. We are looking to rent, but we did not want to spend any more than $1600 a month. Any advice would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2009, 10:42 AM

7,965 posts, read 18,039,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoez View Post
We will be moving to Northern Virginia from Indiana in July, and wanted to know which are the safest areas to live in. I will be working in Alexandria, VA 22314, but I am open to all areas to live, except I think Reston area may be a little far. We are looking to rent, but we did not want to spend any more than $1600 a month. Any advice would be appreciated.
How many people are in your household? $1600 should get you a really nice 1BR apt or an okay 2BR apt in most of Arlington and Alexandria as well as Fairfax County.

For 1BRs, you should be able to get a nice place among the high-rises in the Carlyle neighborhood of Alexandria right near where you'll be working in Old Town. It's a new community that may be quiet at night but it will be convenient to your job as well as the Metro.

Heading west on Duke Street, there are several apartment complexes to choose from as well. 2BRs should definitely be within your reach. The Landmark area is said to be a bit iffy. but even so it's not the Wild Wild West.

A bit outside the city is the Kingstowne community (22315). While I personally find it to be sterile, it is indeed safe and has all the midscale shopping and retail conveniences you could ask for. You should be able to find a 2BR in your range.

So basically there are options that are much more convenient than Reston... but that's assuming your household is no bigger than three.

Old 05-15-2009, 11:01 AM

We are looking for a 2 BR. We do have a Golden Retriever, which I do not believe the high-rises allow. Thanks for the insight. Any other areas

Last edited by dmoez; 05-15-2009 at 11:55 AM..

Old 05-16-2009, 05:16 AM

446 posts, read 1,486,383 times
You might want to look at a townhouse rental or something. I'd definitely focus my search on Alexandria and Arlington as you don't want a long commute to be your welcome to our area.

Old Town is a great place to live and work. Right on the river and so many cool restaurants to check out!!!

Old 05-17-2009, 08:48 PM

How about Falls Church, Oakton, McLean, and Vienna. I am okay with 45 minutes.

Last edited by dmoez; 05-17-2009 at 09:11 PM..

Old 05-17-2009, 09:26 PM

715 posts, read 1,865,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoez View Post
How about Falls Church, Oakton, McLean, and Vienna. I am okay with 45 minutes.
Falls Church: FFX Cty part of Falls Church bordering McLean is nice, safe, and convenient to metro. Focus on 22043 zip code which has McLean schools. Falls Church City is similar to the previous description, but does have a downtown section. Great area for kids. Separate, but highly regarded school system.

Oakton: Safe, nice, but primarily suburban residential.

McLean: Safe, nice, not much metro except some bus. Nice downtown area. Great area for kids.

Vienna: Safe parts, less safe parts, congested, and some parts convenient to metro. Great area for kids.

Consider also Great Falls. Probably the safest area in NoVA, but as with the safe areas, including the ones listed above, homes are pricey. Median price for homes in Great Falls is easily over 1 mil, with McLean coming in second at around 800k. You won't find any apts in Great Falls though.

Old 05-19-2009, 06:52 AM

4,037 posts, read 8,059,476 times
Falls Church would have the easiest commute. Falls Church is funny there are some really nice places in FC and some not so nice. So definitely look at the area but if you find something newer and nicer go with it.

Look in Alexandria in Kingstowne and see if there are some that allow dogs.

I live in Oakton and most of the condos allow dogs at least there's always someone walking their dog whenever I'm driving somewhere. The commute from Oakton is not an easy one though. So it might be about 45 minutes. But I really like Oakton so definitely endorse. Vienna is really nice you can't go wrong with either Oakton or Vienna. Again the commute won't be the easiest but you'll get more for money though.

Old 05-19-2009, 01:59 PM

76 posts, read 352,024 times
[SIZE=2]If you're not planning to spend more then 1600 for at least a two bedroom and you have a dog, then those place mentioned; McLean, Oakton, Vienna, Falls Church (near FF or the city of Falls Church, and Arlington are probably out of your reach. You might find some older garden style communities in the West End area of Alex but it will be a stretch. Regardless of where you live in NOVA, the entire area is very safe. The commute and cost of living sucks though. I feel much safer living anywhere in NOVA then I would in Indianapolis.
[/SIZE]

Old 05-20-2009, 06:06 AM

17 posts, read 40,111 times
Sorry to use this forum, but I dont know how to create a new one. I'm looking an apartment in Alexandria area. I'm looking 1BR apt. My budget can be no more than $1200. I live alone and I need a safe place...any recommendations?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia