U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2009, 01:38 PM

4 posts, read 7,196 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

Was just doing some research on banks in NOVA, and wanted to ask the group for some opinions. What banks would you recommend for checkings/savings?

I was just checking up on Eopinions, and most of the banks had horrendous reviews.

So if you can give a little bit of your experiences with what banks you had experiences, that would be great!

So far, I'm leaning towards Provident Bank. Has some good reviews.

Last edited by stevephhs016; 05-15-2009 at 01:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2009, 02:47 PM

30,184 posts, read 67,332,997 times
Welcome in advance to the region. This topic has been discussed on numerous occasions already on this sub-forum, so hopefully after reading these threads you'll have a better idea:

Banks in NOVA?

Best Bank in NOVA?

Best Bank in NOVA? (Yes, this is a different thread with the same title).

Old 05-15-2009, 04:59 PM

4 posts, read 9,285 times
Default Provident will be merged with M&T

Greetings and welcome!

M&T is working towards a merger with Provident just so you know. We actually bank with a small bank, based in Alexandria, Burke & Herbert, and have a fantastic experience with them. They only have 20 or so branches, so if you're planning on living in western Fairfax county, that won't work for you.

If you are planning on Fairfax county, you can try the Fairfax County Credit Union.

Good luck!

Old 05-15-2009, 08:28 PM

446 posts, read 1,488,502 times
I say go to the credit union. There are so member-focused and guess what--THEY GET NO BAILOUTS!!!!

Oh how I love supporting institutions that don't sit on the government's doorstep asking for a handout for their poor business practices.

But seriously, the credit unions around here are great and could really suit you well I believe.

Old 05-15-2009, 10:05 PM

628 posts, read 1,726,840 times
I second the credit union suggestion. If you qualify, the Pentagon and Navy CUs are great.

Old 05-18-2009, 03:08 PM

593 posts, read 2,246,366 times
Honestly, I'd base most of your decision on finding the most convenient bank. I ended up choosing Wachovia, but mostly b/c they have a branch 1 block from my office and 4 blocks from home.

I also like it when my bank has a branch inside of the grocery store that I go to. I wasn't able to get that setup here in Arlington, but I did have it when I lived in MA and it worked out really well.

Also, make sure to check the bank's hours *before* signing on the dotted line...I love it when banks are open longer hours...not just 9-5, Monday-Friday. If you work 9-5, M-F, when are you supposed to go there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia