U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 12:10 PM

3,286 posts, read 10,570,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
To me, Pentagon City Mall looks like a minature version of Tysons without the anchors. If it looks "dumpy" these days, I may have missed something truly special before I arrived here four years ago. The idea of paying for parking there does stink but I suppose they're marketing to a large degree to nearby workers, residents and those who may use Metro.

I'm actually sorry to hear that the malls at Tysons don't reflect the overall diversity in NOVA as much as Pentagon City Mall does. I agree that for those of us in the inner suburbs, Pentagon City is about the best option out there for a traditional enclosed mall.

"Dumpy" was never something that came to mind when thinking about Pentagon City. I don't typically see Sephora, Coach or Nordstrom at crappy malls. It's a little small, but there are other options nearby in the rare event that I can't find what I'm looking for. Paying for parking does suck, but then again it's really only $1.50, so I can't complain that much. After 6:30pm or on the weekends it's really easy to get a spot on the street outside for free. As far as crime, I've never seen it as an issue. Tyson's is nice, but can be tiring and I'll do anything to avoid driving on I-66. Unless you live out there it's difficult to go any time other than a weekend because of traffic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2009, 02:26 PM

3,156 posts, read 8,099,390 times
Quote:
To me, Pentagon City Mall looks like a minature version of Tysons without the anchors. If it looks "dumpy" these days, I may have missed something truly special before I arrived here four years ago. The idea of paying for parking there does stink but I suppose they're marketing to a large degree to nearby workers, residents and those who may use Metro.
In a dense area next to the Metro like Pentagon City/Crystal City where parking is scarce during the day, they really couldn't have a free parking lot. If they did, every office worker, resident, and commuter would use that garage and there would be no room left for the actual mall shoppers.

Other than that, I agree with you. The Metro does bring a certain element (i.e. rowdy teens) that isn't there at Tyson's, but it's just teenagers being teenagers; there's no real crime problem there. I walked home through the mall late nights for a few years and never witnessed or experienced crime of any sort. The thing that annoyed me most about the mall was the gigantic slow-walking youth group tours that were impossible to get around on my way to Metro.

Old 05-18-2009, 02:53 PM

7,966 posts, read 18,048,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcity View Post
In a dense area next to the Metro like Pentagon City/Crystal City where parking is scarce during the day, they really couldn't have a free parking lot. If they did, every office worker, resident, and commuter would use that garage and there would be no room left for the actual mall shoppers.
You make a very good point. To be honest, that was just my semi-educated guess. But it does make sense for the mall to charge as a deterrent to savvy commuters.

Old 05-18-2009, 08:07 PM

715 posts, read 1,866,903 times
Quote:

Other than that, I agree with you. The Metro does bring a certain element (i.e. rowdy teens) that isn't there at Tyson's, but it's just teenagers being teenagers; there's no real crime problem there. I walked home through the mall late nights for a few years and never witnessed or experienced crime of any sort. The thing that annoyed me most about the mall was the gigantic slow-walking youth group tours that were impossible to get around on my way to Metro.
As I noted, Pentagon City used to offer free parking after hours on weekdays and free on weekends, so office workers, residents, and commuters wouldn't be taking advantage of this perk.

Old 05-19-2009, 03:18 PM

518 posts, read 1,293,168 times
Quote:
I'm actually sorry to hear that the malls at Tysons don't reflect the overall diversity in NOVA as much as Pentagon City Mall does. I agree that for those of us in the inner suburbs, Pentagon City is about the best option out there for a traditional enclosed mall.
In the 90s most area kids referred to Tysons as the "Asian mall."

I don't consider Pentagon City shabby at all. But, the material choices/finishings were always a bit cheap in my opinion. It continues to be the upscale shopping destination for most people in Alexandria/South Arlington, parts of DC, the tourists that jam the escalators. The mall is quite healthy. For the inner suburbs, Pentagon City and Tysons are the only decent mall options. Ballston Commons needs to dump the mall portion,... wedged between Pentagon City and Tysons it never really took off.

Old 05-19-2009, 03:22 PM

2,282 posts, read 5,573,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irvine View Post
Ballston Commons needs to dump the mall portion,... wedged between Pentagon City and Tysons it never really took off.
It is really strange isn't it? I wish it was outdoor sidewalk high density commercial instead.

Old 05-19-2009, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irvine View Post
In the 90s most area kids referred to Tysons as the "Asian mall."

I don't consider Pentagon City shabby at all. But, the material choices/finishings were always a bit cheap in my opinion. It continues to be the upscale shopping destination for most people in Alexandria/South Arlington, parts of DC, the tourists that jam the escalators. The mall is quite healthy. For the inner suburbs, Pentagon City and Tysons are the only decent mall options. Ballston Commons needs to dump the mall portion,... wedged between Pentagon City and Tysons it never really took off.
Ballston Commons was well entrenched into Arlington long before Pentagon City came along.

Since Pentagon City movie theater shut down, the only nearby movie options for those in central arlington would be Potomac Yards or Ballston Commons unless people want to drive to Tysons.

Pentagon City Mall is probably more dead at happy hour/night because there's no more movie theatre, and Harry's Tap Room (smallish) is the only real bar/restaurant inside the mall while Tysons has Gordon Biersch, Coastal Flats, Norton's American Bar and Grill, Brio Tuscan Grille, Luciano's, and Neishai Thai not to mention chains like TGI and Cali Pizza Kitchen to go along with the 16 screen AMC movie theatre.

Old 05-19-2009, 07:36 PM

69 posts, read 174,483 times
I think PC mall is fine. It's a little crowded for my tastes, but other than that it seems to have nice stores and restaurants, and I've never felt unsafe there. I haven't really noticed any safety problems here, other than the tourist buses that jam everything up inside and out. To be honest, the problem perceived by some folks may be the tour group teens! As far as looking a little run down, its probably BECAUSE of the traffic the tour buses bring. Each bus drops off 50 or more people, and they're lined up around the block every day. I hope the mall is getting paid wear and tear by the tour companies!

I have, on a few occasions, seen a police car with someone in the back of it outside of Macys and Nordstroms. I am assuming they were caught shoplifting and nothing worse. That's been during the daytime.

I agree with an earlier poster that the Best Buy here could use some lessons on customer service. They haven't done anything that has openly aggravated me, they just don't seem to care much about their customers - but I could say that about almost any Best Buy I've ever been to.

Old 05-19-2009, 07:38 PM

3,156 posts, read 8,099,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by live_strong28 View Post
Since Pentagon City movie theater shut down, the only nearby movie options for those in central arlington would be Potomac Yards or Ballston Commons unless people want to drive to Tysons.
AMC Courthouse and Shirlington are nearby also. Tysons is pretty far to go for the movies from Pentagon City. Even AMC Hoffman and Kingstowne are closer.

Quote:
Pentagon City Mall is probably more dead at happy hour/night because there's no more movie theatre, and Harry's Tap Room (smallish) is the only real bar/restaurant inside the mall while Tysons has Gordon Biersch, Coastal Flats, Norton's American Bar and Grill, Brio Tuscan Grille, Luciano's, and Neishai Thai not to mention chains like TGI and Cali Pizza Kitchen to go along with the 16 screen AMC movie theatre.
Within a block of the mall, there's tons of happy hour/dinner places: Sine, Champps, California Pizza, Chevy's, Thaiphoon, and others. I've been in the Pentagon City mall at night and it's not dead. I'm sure many people eating at the nearby places visit the mall after or before eating.

Old 05-19-2009, 08:10 PM

Quote:
AMC Courthouse and Shirlington are nearby also. Tysons is pretty far to go for the movies from Pentagon City. Even AMC Hoffman and Kingstowne are closer.

Within a block of the mall, there's tons of happy hour/dinner places: Sine, Champps, California Pizza, Chevy's, Thaiphoon, and others. I've been in the Pentagon City mall at night and it's not dead. I'm sure many people eating at the nearby places visit the mall after or before eating.
How are Shirlington and Courthouse holding up? I used to watch movies there, and know for sure they don't have stadium seating which is big now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or