Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 07:35 AM

2,309 posts, read 2,315,094 times

Advertisements

Although Wegmans is not in walking distance to you I too agree it is the cheapest and may be worth taking a bus or something there every couple of weeks. I find Harris Teeter, Giant, Bloom all very expensive. Wegmans has consistent low prices and there name brand is very good if not better than the large brand names. (My husband hates generic cereal but loves a lot of the Wegmans brand)
Good luck with your move!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2009, 08:17 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,571,141 times
The Wegman's on Route 28 is very inexpensive. With the Super Target next door and the WalMart Supercenter opening up the road, the competition is very fierce. There's a Grandmart International multi-ethnic supermarket closer to Reston. It's on the right side of Route 7 just after you pass through the intersection of Dranesville Rd. A lot of people go there for the cheaper produce and meats.

Old 05-19-2009, 08:53 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
Thanks very much, everyone, for the support and sage advice provided thus far! Wegman's is very, very popular here in the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre area as well, but while up here they're "competitive" in pricing they usually aren't the "cheapest." I'm a generic brand shopper whenever possible (except for Pop Tarts as the generic ones just taste too bland for me, but I digress), so hearing that Wegman's store brands are very reasonably-priced in Virginia makes me feel even more comfortable about my impending relocation. I know Wegman's is consistently one of the top-rated companies to work for, and I make a habit of boycotting those businesses where employee morale is low (i.e. Wal-Mart) and shopping at reasonably-priced competitors that treat their associates better (i.e. Wegman's). I'm glad to hear that Wegman's store brand cereals are good, as I don't want to part with my beloved Cheerios and am sure they probably have a generic counterpart!

I'll also check out those other tips about the ethnic markets for cheap produce/meats, but I'll first drop by the Reston Town Center farmers' market whenever possible to support local agricultural interests. I may have given a few the idea that I "can't" drive by only rattling off places within a mile's walk of my complex, but I'm more than willing to hop in the car to drive to places like Wegman's---I just didn't want to battle more traffic getting to the grocery store after battling traffic all week getting to clients, many of whom will be in Tyson's Corner (I know...YIKES!) Perhaps Wegman's will be nice and build a store in or around RTC just for me?!!

Last edited by SteelCityRising; 05-19-2009 at 08:54 AM.. Reason: Typographical Error

Old 05-19-2009, 09:26 AM

Wegman's is very popular because of the Market Cafe. If you're on a tight budget, then you're probably not likely to buy much in this area of the store.

Prepared Foods - Market Cafe*| Wegmans

Other stores, such as Harris Teeter's and the Fair Lakes Whole Foods, devote a lot of their store area to prepared foods. Wegman's has a lot more selection and is less expensive.

Old 05-19-2009, 09:59 AM

2,136 posts, read 5,311,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
I'm more than willing to hop in the car to drive to places like Wegman's---I just didn't want to battle more traffic getting to the grocery store after battling traffic all week getting to clients, many of whom will be in Tyson's Corner (I know...YIKES!) Perhaps Wegman's will be nice and build a store in or around RTC just for me?!!
I live close to Wegmans, and everyone around here wishes that we could get a Trader Joe's or Whole Foods near us. You will live close to both, but want a Wegmans near you!

Unless you go early in the morning or late at night, getting in and out of Wegmans is a nightmare. (The Dulles 28 Wegmans, that is - I haven't been to the one in Fairfax.) Currently there is only one entrance in and out of the Dulles 28 Centre (which has Wegmans, Target, Eastern Mountain Sports, Petco, PF Chang's, Cheeburger Cheeburger, etc.). It can be frustrating. I do go there sometimes in the middle of the day during the week, but I do most of my big shopping runs at Giant. They have the best prices on things I buy regularly (plus I shop by sales and coupons). My neighborhood Harris Teeter is the most expensive store around.

Old 05-19-2009, 10:17 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,946,617 times
Maybe you can do your shopping after one of your client visits. If you get Raytheon or AOL as clients, their campuses are literally right across the street from the Wegman's on 28. If you have to go to the Fairfax County Govt. Center, you'll be next to the Wegman's in Fairfax. If you have to go to the Leesburg Govt. Center or Janelia Research Center you'll be close to the Wegman's in Leesburg.

Also, if you need to meet a client for coffee (and you're discussing something that can be discussed in public) why not meet him at Wegman's? Then after the meeting you can get some shopping done.

Old 05-19-2009, 10:26 AM

870 posts, read 2,109,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HEATHER72 View Post

Local farmers' markets are great for produce.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post

I'll also check out those other tips about the ethnic markets for cheap produce/meats, but I'll first drop by the Reston Town Center farmers' market whenever possible to support local agricultural interests.
Has anyone found local Farmer's Markets to actually be a good deal? I know it is very early in the season, but a farmer's market very close to me had only upscale vendors, including one that sold organic salad mixes for $5.............per 4oz container!!!

Farmer's markets used to be great sources for fresh, local produce at a good price. But now, it seems like they are still fresh and local, but even more expensive than the regular price at mainstream grocery stores. This even held true when I was living in rural Illinois just two years ago. Large independent ethnic grocery stores have much better prices, and a good amount of their produce seems to come from fairly local sources.

I guess I raise this question because the thread was entitled "cheapest" grocery store, and it's been a while since I could honestly declare that a farmer's market gave you the best price.

Old 05-19-2009, 10:31 AM

870 posts, read 2,109,812 times
By the way, by far the cheapest overall for groceries is Aldi's. It's a privately held German chain that carries only private label goods (but hey, raisins are raisins). For example, the one near me has milk at $1.99/gallon and eggs $.85/dozen right now. There are two in Woodbridge, one in Manassas, and one in Alexandria, but I believe that's it for NoVA.

Old 05-19-2009, 10:32 AM

From the vicinity of RTC, the Harris Teeter's is your most convenient. The Safeway in Herndon is best reached by walking on the gravel path along the W&OD bike path from Reston. The local bus system can be used to reach any of the Reston village centers or downtown Herndon.

LINK | Maps

Old 05-19-2009, 11:14 AM

241 posts, read 987,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike From NIU View Post
Has anyone found local Farmer's Markets to actually be a good deal? I know it is very early in the season, but a farmer's market very close to me had only upscale vendors, including one that sold organic salad mixes for $5.............per 4oz container!!!

Farmer's markets used to be great sources for fresh, local produce at a good price. But now, it seems like they are still fresh and local, but even more expensive than the regular price at mainstream grocery stores. This even held true when I was living in rural Illinois just two years ago. Large independent ethnic grocery stores have much better prices, and a good amount of their produce seems to come from fairly local sources.

I guess I raise this question because the thread was entitled "cheapest" grocery store, and it's been a while since I could honestly declare that a farmer's market gave you the best price.
You're correct. Farmer's market has never been the cheapest in my experience, quite the opposite in fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia