U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 02:58 PM

6 posts, read 20,016 times
During the summer months we get our produce from a local farm co-op. You don't get to choose what you get, but the veggies are as fresh as you could want. And the strawberries....they are out of this world! Last year we didn't pick enough and regretted it all winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2010, 05:56 AM

18,717 posts, read 14,915,546 times
Bumping for some of our new residents. There's lots of good advice in here!

Old 09-05-2010, 10:19 AM

70 posts, read 61,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RestonRunner86 View Post
Thankfully God must be watching over me because I've just fallen into a few financial windfalls I wasn't expecting (an incredible $1,000 in graduation gift money from my party, a $4,000 inheritance from my recently-belated maternal grandmother, a $4,100 sign-on bonus I'm receiving in late-June, nearly $1,800 in matured bonds that relatives had taken out for me as early as 1986, and $900---less 20% tax---in an old 401k account I forgot about that I can draw if need be). As such I won't be living lavishly, but I will be able to live comfortably if I'm thrifty and creative. I plan to do a little "experiment" on here to share with you all. I'll do my regular grocery shopping once per week at one each of six stores (Wegman's, Harris Teeter, Safeway, Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, and Giant), and then show you the itemized results each week of how much I spent at each store (no making fun of my unusual diet! LOL!). Hopefully then people will be able to see, on average, where the best deals tend to lie on certain products.
what were the results of your 6 store experiment?

Old 09-06-2010, 01:49 PM

Target is now sending out circulars promoting themselves as a place to get groceries. I don't think I've even bought "faux" groceries like chips or cookies from Target, but I'm open to trying it if it's a good buy. So... I wonder what the rest of you think. Any opinions on the groceries you get from Target?

Old 09-06-2010, 03:39 PM

26,225 posts, read 45,948,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny2dc View Post
what were the results of your 6 store experiment?
Unfortunately as I became engrossed in my stressful new job at the time I completely forget about this thread and my commitment to doing that pricing experiment of sorts. Sorry! I tend to do most of my shopping at the Giant in Reston's Northpoint Village Center. That store is nearly always hectic, but they carry everything I like (although I'm often disappointed in the quality of their produce, but I digress).

Friends who used to live in Reston preferred Harris Teeter, but I really hated how "yuppie" it felt. For God's sake they won't even let you help them load your groceries onto the checkout line conveyor belts, and they insist on helping me load my car, even when I don't want them to. I'm a very independent person. I don't need a grocery store to charge me $1 more for an item just so they could afford that "superior" customer service. Giant is sort of frumpy---like me---and I like that.

I have yet to check out Whole Foods. The Wegman's in Leesburg is fantastic. I haven't been to the one in Sterling yet because I heard it was dumpy. I like the North Reston Giant much better than the South Reston Safeway. We don't have an Aldi (yet) in or near Reston. I've never really given much thought to going grocery shopping at Target.

Old 09-06-2010, 06:14 PM

2,012 posts, read 2,851,061 times
The Wegmans in Sterling is NOT dumpy. It's just more crowded than the newer one and the parking lot is difficult to get in and out of. I do most of my shopping there, but never at night or on the weekend.

I buy some things at Target. They have good prices on cold cereal, nutrigrain bars, etc. Their milk is more expensive than the grocery store.

Old 09-06-2010, 06:17 PM

3,667 posts, read 5,158,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Target is now sending out circulars promoting themselves as a place to get groceries. I don't think I've even bought "faux" groceries like chips or cookies from Target, but I'm open to trying it if it's a good buy. So... I wonder what the rest of you think. Any opinions on the groceries you get from Target?

At our Target here in Stafford, they have lots of canned goods, frozen stuff but limited veggies, and very limited fresh meat, their prices seem pretty comparable with Walmart, so while WMart is getting revamped here I think I will get the stuff I normally get at Walmart at Target. The one we went to in Falls Church didn't have as many groceries as this one does.

Old 09-06-2010, 06:20 PM

You heard Wegmans is dumpy? Um, no.

Old 09-07-2010, 01:25 PM

2,287 posts, read 2,032,698 times
I have now joined the cult of Wegman's. The food court will make it practicable even for trips with my 3 y/o, as she can be bribed with food (which she's going to need at 530pm or so anyway.) Then Trader Joe's for its unique items. I try and get stuff from the Maple Avenue Market here in town.

I did go to Harris-Teeter a couple of times when I lived in Arlington, and went away thinking I just wasn't cool enough for the place.

Safeway is OK, will be used for the "1-2 item" trips if needed.

Giant just sucks. I remember when I was 12 and my Dad dragged me to the one in Warrenton -- I thought it was amazing and modern -- well compared to the old-school Safeway and the A&P, it was. Now I think, yucky bathrooms, tendency to pull items we start to like, no thanks.

Old 09-07-2010, 02:22 PM

1,652 posts, read 2,170,502 times
Shoppers will surprise you. Yes, some of the locations smell like dirty diapers, and the produce (minus the 'specials' near the front at the Fairfax City location) tends to be a couple steps down from nasty, but if you're a regular Shopper (heh heh heh), you'll have these fairly frequent serendipitous moments in which you'll discover the most unexpected (semi-)gourmet/specialty products shelved amongst the standard at-every-grocery-store fare. Ghirardelli milk chocolate peanut butter bar that I paid $5 for in the San Francisco airport? Check, and for $1 (and not expired or anything, either). Pommery Moutarde de Meaux? Check. The Peanut Shop of Williamsburg wasabi peanuts? Check. And the international sections aren't bad, either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia