U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 10:30 AM

32 posts, read 73,355 times

Advertisements

I am looking at possibly relocating for a job in the Herndon area. What outlying communities would provide for a reasonable commute (30 -45 mins). We prefer neighborhoods with larger lots. Our price range will be 600K or less.

Thank You,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2009, 10:39 AM

5,071 posts, read 8,615,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That4car View Post
I am looking at possibly relocating for a job in the Herndon area. What outlying communities would provide for a reasonable commute (30 -45 mins). We prefer neighborhoods with larger lots. Our price range will be 600K or less.

Thank You,
How large a lot do you have in mind?

The Oak Hill area of Oakton (20171) has some nice houses under $600K for sale on half-acre lots; schools (Crossfield/Carson/Oakton) and community are both great, and commute would be very reasonable by NoVa standards. If you want a larger lot for less than $600K, I'd start looking in Loudoun to the west of Herndon.

Old 05-19-2009, 11:10 AM

32 posts, read 73,355 times
Jeb77, thanks for the reply. We prefer a lot greater than 1 acre....but understand we'll need to have realistic expectations if we decide to move there.

Old 05-19-2009, 02:04 PM

30,101 posts, read 67,193,623 times
I have friends who are rooming together in Centreville, and to me that seems like a more "family-friendly" area with larger lot sizes and a reasonable commute to Herndon, where I'm also working. Housing prices should be more affordable in Centreville than they are in the more immediate Dulles Tech Corridor area. Best of luck!

Old 05-19-2009, 02:15 PM

15,400 posts, read 25,778,611 times
Quote:
Jeb77, thanks for the reply. We prefer a lot greater than 1 acre....but understand we'll need to have realistic expectations if we decide to move there.
Actually, if you want to be near Herndon, one place you'll find homes with really big lots is along Thomas Road (If you're looking at a map, look in Sterling between Algonkian Pkwy and Rt. 7. Other roads in the neighborhood are Lakeland, Cedar, and Lake).

Last time I drove there I saw several homes for sale, so you might be able to get a good deal. It's an older neighborhood that has a lot of charm. A lot people don't even know this neighborhood exists, it's kind of hidden away. It almost feels like it's way out in the country--which makes me think the prices might be more reasonable than you'd expect. The lots are larger because it was built before the suburban explosion of the last decade.

Countryside also has some older homes with large lots that are probably within your price range. The area near Youngs Cliff Road is even zoned for farm animals. There may be some superfund issues with that area, however. (Not sure about this, ask your realtor.)

Old 05-19-2009, 02:16 PM

4,037 posts, read 8,060,227 times
If you're looking for something on lots of land there is Oakton but it's awfully expensive. I'm going to say that Loudon county is going to be your best bet if you're looking for country living. Even that will involve a bit of a drive. There's a little bit of land in Fairfax county in Oakton but really you need to drive if you want that country lifestyle. Maybe Purcellville or Lovettsville? The Plains? These places would probably have about an hour commute.

Not to be contrary but I would be surprised if you find anything for an acre or more in Fairfax county for under $600K.

Old 05-19-2009, 02:37 PM

2,010 posts, read 2,700,800 times
Quote:
Have you looked in Fairfax Station? Large lots. Some home prices there are starting to approach $600,000. You might find a real gem!

Old 05-19-2009, 04:06 PM

1,059 posts, read 2,623,092 times
A great site to search (and you don't have to register or give contact info) is HomesDatabase - Home for Sale and Rent in DC, Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, and Pennsylvania. You can start with Herndon and zoom out using the map feature. On a brief search, I found 1 in Reston with 0.75 ac. You will not find a new home with a large lot in your price range but there are homes available with large lots within a reasonable commuting time (I consider anything under 1 hour reasonable in this area, some years ago we lived in Northern NJ and my husband commuted 1.5 hours each way to ITT near the World Trade Center).

Old 05-19-2009, 05:19 PM

15,400 posts, read 25,778,611 times
Great site, Margery. I used it and easily found a home on a 1-acre lot in that neighborhood I just described. It's $350,000: 122 LAKELAND DR RICHLAND ACRES STERLING VA - HomesDatabase (http://www.homesdatabase.com/home-listings-RICHLAND+ACRES-STERLING-VA-MRIS-LO6950760 - broken link)

Here's one in the same neighborhood that's $649,000 on 1.4 acres. It's been for sale awhile, maybe you could get them to lower the price:
101 LAKE DR RICHLAND ACRES STERLING VA - HomesDatabase (http://www.homesdatabase.com/home-listings-RICHLAND+ACRES-STERLING-VA-MRIS-LO6922160 - broken link)

Old 05-19-2009, 05:45 PM

5,071 posts, read 8,615,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Great site, Margery. I used it and easily found a home on a 1-acre lot in that neighborhood I just described. It's $350,000: 122 LAKELAND DR RICHLAND ACRES STERLING VA - HomesDatabase (http://www.homesdatabase.com/home-listings-RICHLAND+ACRES-STERLING-VA-MRIS-LO6950760 - broken link)

Here's one in the same neighborhood that's $649,000 on 1.4 acres. It's been for sale awhile, maybe you could get them to lower the price:
101 LAKE DR RICHLAND ACRES STERLING VA - HomesDatabase (http://www.homesdatabase.com/home-listings-RICHLAND+ACRES-STERLING-VA-MRIS-LO6922160 - broken link)
FYI - the house on Lake Drive (very nice . . .) is showing up as under contract on the Frankly MLS site.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia