Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 02:27 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,501,316 times

Advertisements

Now - I know a lot of you cant stand my question and dont agree with it - but - really - I am curious as to which county seems to have the most snooty, overeducated, competitive, McMansion loving, volvo driving, Sub Zero refrigerator coveting, keeping up with the Jones type of people.

My husband has a job offer out in Louden and I am wondering if we would like it better out there - you know - more real, down to earth people who dont care that I dont have a PhD -

Did I spell Louden correctly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2009, 02:37 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,163,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfax Mom View Post
Now - I know a lot of you cant stand my question and dont agree with it - but - really - I am curious as to which county seems to have the most snooty, overeducated, competitive, McMansion loving, volvo driving, Sub Zero refrigerator coveting, keeping up with the Jones type of people.

My husband has a job offer out in Louden and I am wondering if we would like it better out there - you know - more real, down to earth people who dont care that I dont have a PhD -

I corrected it in the title for you. (It's okay; I used to forget the second "u" myself. )

I'm sure you know with that opening comment, you may have left yourself open to some less than positive reaction.

That said, having read many of your posts, I would predict that you may like, for example, Sterling, more than, say, Ashburn. Some of the aspects that steer some people away from the former may actually endear you to it... and I say that in the most positive way.

Old 05-21-2009, 02:44 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,942,767 times
Quote:

LOL, I suppose it all depends on which community you move to. All sorts of people live here, just like in Fairfax.

I don't know if you'd consider me a typical Loudounite (Loudouner? Loudounian? I've never been sure...) but you probably know me fairly well. If you move here, chances are you'll meet a lot of people like me. Whatever that means.

FWIW, I'm:

1. snooty? I try to be down-to-earth, but it's hard to judge yourself.
2. overeducated? Probably. I'm a college degree junkie.
3. competitive? Nah, not my thing.
4. McMansion loving? Most definitely. I love my neighborhood and love my cookie cutter house.
5. volvo driving? Actually, I drive a Prius. When I was employed, I was very proud that I could walk to work. I still walk to the grocery store if I'm just getting a few things. But that's a different kind of status symbol, I suppose.
6. sub Zero refrigerator coveting? No, but I do have a granite counter top.
7. keeping up with the Jones? Nah, but maybe the Jones's try to keep up with me!

Old 05-21-2009, 02:44 PM

2,497 posts, read 3,404,278 times
Smile That is a TOUGH question!

It may depend on the neighborhood. Normie's area sounds very pleasant and friendly. Is it Lowes Island or Cascades, normie?

But my friend of many years (her husband does have a Ph.D. in a very "highly selective" field from a "highly selective" school ) lives in Ashburn, and she has had problems with the neighbors and HOA. They plan to leave the area and return to the midwest. Can't say too much.

Last edited by Fern435; 05-21-2009 at 02:57 PM..

Old 05-21-2009, 02:47 PM

55 posts, read 185,953 times
This is funny.

I think Fairfax county is so big and varies so widely depending on where you are that you can't really compare by county. I live in a part of Fairfax county that I think is very un-snooty. I have no idea what Loudoun county is like.

Old 05-21-2009, 02:47 PM

2,136 posts, read 5,310,264 times
I think both counties have their share of people described by the OP, but of course we Loudouners are better than people in Fairfax. (Just kidding!)

Both counties are huge, and vary widely in demographics and environment. It's tough to generalize on a county-wide basis.

Old 05-21-2009, 02:53 PM

Quote:

OK, now for a serious answer. FWIW, I have absolutely no idea if my neighbors have a PhD or even if they graduated from high school. I never thought to ask, it's not a big deal. OTOH, most people in my neighborhood are white collar types who work in professional businesses, so they probably have at least a bachelor's degree. There's a guy who owns a taxi company, but everyone else I know here are engineers, accountants, dentists, etc. A lot of CIA managers and security personnel live here too, they have security clearances out the ying yang but that doesn't necessarily mean they have higher degrees. (One of Clinton's bodyguards lived down the street, which was always a crack up--wierd to see your neighbor standing behind the president on the nightly news.) If you live in Sterling or Leesburg, you're more likely to have neighbors who are blue collar workers, if that's something that is important to you.

Old 05-21-2009, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern435 View Post
It may depend on the neighborhood. Normie's area sounds very pleasant and friendly. Is it Lowes Island or Cascades, normie?
Lowes Island, which is part of Cascades.

Old 05-21-2009, 03:52 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,088,665 times
Quote:

So many hostile or at least modestly passive-aggressive posts lately (sigh).

I have been wondering lately whether, with all the newcomers to NoVa and with all the much-vaunted diversity of the region, people now perceive the area as a "freezing pot." In other words, if people aren't quite sure what the expected norms of behavior are - but are worried that the norms may be different from where they came or where they lived before - they conduct themselves in a cautious and rigid manner to avoid violating unwritten social rules that they are worried they don't understand.

Obviously, there are other regions of the country, such as New York, that attract plenty of newcomers, but don't find themselves on the receiving end of similar criticism. My sense is that newcomers to New York very quickly sense that they can and should act a particular way - talk a little louder and faster, pick up the pace a step or two, be impatient, crack jokes, etc. - and that it shows that they've assimilated and are now bona fide "New Yorkers" (even if not natives).

In areas where the growth is more recent, such as NoVa, or Atlanta, or the Research Triangle in North Carolina, I'm thinking it's harder for people to figure out the expected patterns of social behavior - so they tend to come across as "stuck up," at least until they feel they have a handle on the social norms.

What do you think? Personally, having lived here most of my life, it doesn't bother me; I've enjoyed every place I've ever lived, but I'm easy that way.

Fairfax Mom - I've read and sympathized with many of your posts. In answer to your specific question, I'd say you'll find more "stuck-up" folks in Fairfax than Loudoun, but it's probably telling that some Loudoun residents will probably view that as a put-down! I think you ought to ask yourself whether you'll ever be happy unless you're back in the New York/New Jersey region where there are more people who are, quite honestly, a bit louder, funnier and unrestrained in their day-to-day behavior.

Last edited by JD984; 05-21-2009 at 04:36 PM..

Old 05-21-2009, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
Fairfax Mom - I've read and sympathized with many of your posts. In answer to your specific question, I'd say you'll find more "stuck-up" folks in Fairfax than Loudoun, but it's probably telling that some Loudoun residents will probably view that as a put-down! I think you ought to ask yourself whether you'll ever be happy unless you're back in the New York/New Jersey region where there are more people who are, quite honestly, a bit louder, funnier and unrestrained in their day-to-day behavior.
Oooh, you bring up a good point. Fairfax Mom, I'm another person who's enjoyed your posts... and even though people here are down-to earth (IMO) there's another reason Loudoun County may not appeal to you. I feel like I've gotten to know you, and I love your brash "New Jersey" humor. You'll find more people who share that humor the closer you get to the city. You might find people in Loudoun boring. And people may not get your sense of humor. I'm not quite sure how to describe people here, but it's the opposite of "brash". We're a little more restrained... you'll have a hard time finding people who want to cut loose and party all night, if that's important to you.

Last edited by normie; 05-21-2009 at 04:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia