Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 10:56 AM

5 posts, read 13,065 times

Advertisements

I will be moving in fall to take a new job in Reston, VA. I would like to live as close to DC as possible, but still have a manageable commute (otherwise I would live in DC itself). I hear the traffic is pretty bad, but I'm hoping my reverse commute will be OK. I am thinking of living in Arlinton, maybe Ballston or Rosslyn. Anywhere near a metro station would be good. Ideally, I'd like to live in a location with a "walkable" neighborhood. Meaning I won't need to use my car to get to the grocery store or out to eat, but then I would drive to and from work.

Does anyone have any suggestions about a good location for me to live in? Additionally, does anyone know how long it would take to commute from Rosslyn to Reston?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2009, 06:23 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,940,556 times
I did the commute from Crystal City to Reston for a couple months when I first started working. It's actually not too bad--it's a reverse commute out 66 and 267 (the toll road). I think it would take anywhere from 30-40 minutes, and a little longer on the way home. From Ballston, it would be even less than that.

Ballston is probably a good place to start out. Most of my coworkers lived in Ballston or Courthouse when we had just graduated. Very young, very walkable, and easy metro access. Just be prepared to pay a pretty penny for an apartment and parking for your car.

Old 05-25-2009, 09:06 PM

Thanks Cali! I'm looking forward to it.

Old 05-26-2009, 05:42 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,723,556 times
Why would anyone want to live in a cesspool like DC?? If you are working in Reston, you should stay in Reston.

Old 05-26-2009, 07:32 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,155,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
Why would anyone want to live in a cesspool like DC?? If you are working in Reston, you should stay in Reston.
One might have to ask those living in Georgetown, Dupont Circle, Adams Morgan, U Street, Cleveland Park, Capitol Hill,Columbia Heights, etc. that question.

Long-term forum members might have a sense of deja vu with the original question but assuming that you, Moette, have a generous housing budget, and are under 30, you will definitely enjoy the Clarendon-Ballston corridor of Arlington (which would include Courthouse as well). It's the 20something mecca of NOVA. Shirlington is a walkable Arlington community as well albeit a bit away from Metro. Also consider Del Ray and Old Town, two relatively laid-back Alexandria neighborhoods. Del Ray has a touch of mature bohemia while Old Town is more upscale and touristy towards the waterfront.

Old 05-26-2009, 08:10 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,239,254 times
Well I can certainly vouch for Shirlington but I would say that commute-wise Ballston would be your best bet or of course my fav Clarendon. As already mentioned be prepared to pay for it.

Money-wise it would be cheaper to live in Reston and just drive into the city to have fun. I did the math actually looked at how much I spend on gas everytime I go into the city ($6.25 it was $5 when I moved out to Oakton but gas prices have gone up) So I'm spending $75 a month in gas give or take (wow that's still a lot) but that's still cheaper than the rent I'd pay if I lived in the city. That's driving an SUV if you drive a smaller car then it's a lot less to just drive into the city. So keep that in mind.

Old 05-26-2009, 12:14 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,573,812 times
You sound an awful lot like me! I'm a single young professional who also craves urbanity, smart long-range urban planning, walkable neighborhoods, etc. but was stuck getting a job out in the suburbs. I thought I was destined for ultimate misery when I learned I was going to be living and working near Dulles Airport, but all in all now that I'm here I've been pleasantly surprised. I go running for a few miles on pleasant shaded streets that wind around up and down gentle rolling grades near a couple of lakes, and yet I can also get all dressed up on a Friday night and walk to the "hip" and "trendy" Reston Town Center in well under ten minutes. I have already been able to walk to Best Buy and Harris Teeter to do some shopping, and I plan to walk to my office whenever possible as well, along with potentially also walking to Target and the YMCA. Ideally Reston should retro-fit its older (as if anything in this mostly post-1970s city can be considered "old") neighborhoods with sidewalks, but as many others have said in order to live here you have to sacrifice SOME happiness and be willing to make concessions due to the lack of affordability of the area for the middle-class.

I would give the area of North Shore Drive in Reston a shot. You'll be able to walk to Reston Town Center and Lake Anne, and the upcoming Metrorail Silver Line will have stations right in our neighbohood as well. It's not ideal for me, but it's the best I can afford, so I'm making the best of it!

Last edited by SteelCityRising; 05-26-2009 at 12:15 PM.. Reason: Text Formatting Error

Old 05-27-2009, 03:53 PM

73 posts, read 281,259 times
I lived in Courthouse for the last 6 years and commuted to Herndon for the last 4 (it's further west than Reston). It's totally do-able. I loved living in Arlington and highly recommend Clarendon/Courhouse. Clarendon has a whole bunch of new restaurants and bars they have opened (even in the last 6 months) and is full of young professionals. Ballston is also great. I am less of a fan of Rosslyn, only because I found me and my friends always either going to DC or staying in Clarendon/Ballston when we went out.

Now commute: If you leave to go to work before 8am, you are fine..and you should make it to Reston in 30 minutes. Between 8-9, add another 5-10 minutes. Your biggest bottleneck will be getting on 66 west, up to exit 69 for washington blvd. After that you should be okay (unless there is an accident or something on the toll road). Coming home is a slightly different story. It's always bad between 5:30-7:00om and worse on Thursday for some reason. It will be bad all the way from the toll road (past the main toll plaza) up to the ballston exit. A good route to help you escape the misery is to take 123 (chain bridge road) east, and either take it to GW Parkway, or take it to Old Dominion. Old Domion will get you all the way into Arlington. Coming home will usualy take you 45 minutes, except on any crazy weather day, where it can be over an hour, but like I said, keep the back routes in mind, and you should be fine.

I will take the commute any day to get the quality of life in Arlington. I miss Arlington greatly, since I have recently moved away from NOVA. ::sniff::

Old 05-27-2009, 03:56 PM

73 posts, read 281,259 times
Oh and if you have any additional questions about Arlington or Reston, feel free to let me know. Happy to help!

Old 05-27-2009, 07:49 PM

Thanks guys! This is really helpful information. I am a bit nervous about not staying in Reston (which is cute in itself) and committing to the high living cost and the commute (and I also have a large dog to consider as well), but Tone is right I am (barely, lol under 30, just graduated form law school and am looking forward to the DC experience. I would attempt to live in DC proper if the commute wouldn't be so bad out to Reston. After all of the looking I've done online this last week, I think Ballston or Clarendon would be great for me too!

Does Pgwiz1 or anyone else have input on specific areas or buildings within Ballston, clarendon or courthouse? Or anything to stay away from or watch out for?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia