U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 07:00 PM

2 posts, read 10,787 times

Advertisements

We have just moved to northen VA and looking to buy a house. There is a new development in Woodbridge, East of route 1. The price is very reasonable compare to other areas.

We have couple kids and are new to this area. We wonder if this is a decent neighbor and how good the school system is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2009, 08:32 PM

6,591 posts, read 10,902,580 times
Got to be more specific than that. I know Woodbridge like the back of my hand and I have no idea where you are talking about. That said, Woodbridge has less than a stellar reputation. The schools generally suck but plenty of kids go through and do well if they want. Crime is at its worse in Woodbridge compared to other places but it is by no means the mean streets of Los Angeles.

Old 05-25-2009, 04:53 AM

10,606 posts, read 12,146,850 times
Are you talking about Port Potomac or Eagles Point? Those are the two big neighborhoods going up off of Rt. 1 that I can thing of; however, they are definitely much closer and might even have a Dumfries address. Hard to tell, it's right on the line.

While both of those neighborhoods look good, they probably feed into the worst of the Woodbridge schools. Any of the neighborhoods going up off Rt. 1 feed into the worst of the Prince William County schools. That's just the unfortunate way it's turning out. Maybe in 5-10 years, when those neighborhoods are established, the schools will improve the influx of more people. But who knows.

I live in Woodbridge and both of my kids attend private school. We have done a mixture of both private and public. I was extremely happy with my kids' elementary school (located in Montclair) and, as far as I know, it's still a great school. I don't have a negative thing to say about it.

My daughter spent one year at one of the high schools and, while she had her fun times and made some good friends there that she still has, it was just not for her. She now attends a private high school in Fairfax County. That high school is definitely on par with most of the Fairfax County public high schools. I would venture to say that what's being done in any of them isn't any different than what goes on in Prince William County High Schools. There is just a very different demographic in PWC schools (economic and ethnic) and this plays a big part in scores, classrooms, and overall behavior in the schools. Bottom line: If you want/need to move to Woodbridge, be VERY, VERY careful about your school district.

Having said all that, I know many, many kids who went through PWC schools and have done superbly. Two kids I know personally have ended up at the Naval Academy, some others have gotten great academic scholarhips to top-notch colleges, and in general have done very well. But if you child is not a self-motivated, high achieving student, it may not be the best place to be.

Old 05-25-2009, 09:12 AM

385 posts, read 1,112,087 times
Move to 7 Corner instead.

Old 05-25-2009, 02:04 PM

22 posts, read 77,421 times
You may want to take a look at the website- School Finder

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukky View Post
We have just moved to northen VA and looking to buy a house. There is a new development in Woodbridge, East of route 1. The price is very reasonable compare to other areas.

We have couple kids and are new to this area. We wonder if this is a decent neighbor and how good the school system is.

Old 05-25-2009, 03:42 PM

2 posts, read 10,787 times
I am referring to Port Potomac subdivision. Thanks.

Old 05-25-2009, 04:05 PM

10,606 posts, read 12,146,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukky View Post
I am referring to Port Potomac subdivision. Thanks.

Most people who live in Port Potomac have very positive views on the neighborhood. It certainly looks nice when you drive by. The negative aspects of the neighborhood have to do with its location which sit directly on Route 1 and is surrounded by some of the more older, depressed, and crime ridden areas. I don't think the crime "comes into" the neighborhood, but the problem is the eyesore of the area getting to and from your neighborhood. I think the elementary school associated with the neighborhood is fine, but it ends there. The middle and high schools would probably be some of the last choices for PWC. Our neighborhood is zoned for the same high school. It is the smallest high school in PWC with just around 900 students but isn't the greatest place to be.

If schools are very important to you, I would look elsewhere. If you are happy with average schools then you might be okay.

Old 05-25-2009, 07:32 PM

73 posts, read 222,153 times
The elementary schools are OK but the middle schools are not good. I just check the ratings at greatschools -- wow -- what an eye-opener. Do not fall for the reviews on the middle schools -- I think those 5 star reviews were written by people who have no idea of what is going on in those schools. Discipline and respect is a HUGE issue especially the LACK of it.

If you can afford it, I would get a house with Benton or Lakeridge Middle as my zoned school.

Last edited by EMTnest; 05-25-2009 at 07:41 PM..

Old 05-25-2009, 08:10 PM

385 posts, read 1,112,087 times
A friend of mine ended a 15 year career with PWCS after being victimized by one of the above referenced middle schools.

Old 05-25-2009, 09:09 PM

555 posts, read 2,438,606 times
I would advise to look in Lake Ridge or go west to Gainesville. If you have your heart set on Woodbridge, the new Belmont Bay area is nice. But like was said prior, you have to go through "other" areas to get to the nice ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia