Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 12:09 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,091,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Does anyone know what high school services the Marymount University area near Ballston? That might be a fun area for your family, if the schools are at all decent. Unfortunately I don't know anything about the schools in that part of the county--but I'm sure someone else here does. There's no escaping subdivisions in Nova, but in some areas you don't notice them as much.
The area around Marymount is zoned for Yorktown; the immediate area around Ballston is zoned for W-L.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2009, 12:09 PM

608 posts, read 1,708,499 times
Urban Northern Virginia is almost an oxymoron. Alexandria and Arlington are the only areas I'd consder fully urban. Downtown Fairfax is interesting, though. While most of Fairfax County is sprawl and 'burbs and Fairfax has become a 'burb by most standards, downtown Fairfax at least has more of an old small-town urban feel to it.

Old 05-25-2009, 02:10 PM

715 posts, read 2,086,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leighland View Post
Where is all that going?
BJ's will be located in the City of Falls Church. Nothing to do with McLean/FFX Cty and whether or not they approve. Falls Church City will reap $1 mil annually.

I believe they are going to put BJ's in Seven Corners on Wilson Blvd.

BJ's is supposedly on the fast track to get approval by 9/2011.

F.C. Scores Bonanza: BJ̢۪s Warehouse Locating Here | Falls Church News-Press Online

BJ's On 'Fast-Track' to F.C. Location | Falls Church News-Press Online

BJ̢۪s Wholesale may land in Falls Church - Washington Business Journal:

The City of Falls Church, not McLean or FFX Cty Falls Church, is also planning to redevelop the Government center for a Harris Teeter and a bowling alley to go with more retail and housing.

City Center

Old 05-25-2009, 02:46 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,091,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by live_strong28 View Post
BJ's will be located in the City of Falls Church. Nothing to do with McLean/FFX Cty and whether or not they approve. Falls Church City will reap $1 mil annually.

I believe they are going to put BJ's in Seven Corners on Wilson Blvd.

BJ's is supposedly on the fast track to get approval by 9/2011.

F.C. Scores Bonanza: BJ’s Warehouse Locating Here | Falls Church News-Press Online

BJ's On 'Fast-Track' to F.C. Location | Falls Church News-Press Online

BJ’s Wholesale may land in Falls Church - Washington Business Journal:

The City of Falls Church, not McLean or FFX Cty Falls Church, is also planning to redevelop the Government center for a Harris Teeter and a bowling alley to go with more retail and housing.

City Center
It will be a pain for some people to have to navigate Seven Corners but otherwise it's a pretty logical site for a big-box retailer.

Old 05-25-2009, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
It will be a pain for some people to have to navigate Seven Corners but otherwise it's a pretty logical site for a big-box retailer.
Seven Corners is easier to navigate for locals. I just hope they have a tire center and will sell gas too.

It's a logical area and many from McLean will travel there to shop. It makes sense since Target, Best Buy, and Home Depot are there also.

Now people will have another good reason to swing by the brewery called the Dogfish Alehouse.

They need to put in another big box retailer in Eden Center where National Wholesale Liquidators used to be.

Dogfish Head Ale House | Beer - HOME

I just wonder what they will put in Dunn Loring, since a lot of shops have been closed up, including the theater. I hope they put a Costco, Lowe's, or Walmart there.

I doubt if Wegmans would be interested since they prefer areas with cheap rent.

Old 05-26-2009, 06:48 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,893,133 times
Quote:

I just wonder what they will put in Dunn Loring, since a lot of shops have been closed up, including the theater. I hope they put a Costco, Lowe's, or Walmart there.
Something called the "Mosaic District" is going in where the theatres were. Have no idea what that is but it sounds nice and theres nice retail right there, even tho' access is currently bad..Even with the bad economy, they need to wait for all that construction on Lee Hwy to finish up somewhat

Old 05-27-2009, 03:05 PM

18 posts, read 37,798 times
Default thanks to everyone

all your responses have been terrific. to answer a couple of questions raised - we are looking in fairfax county because it seems it will be the politically correct thing to do for the particular job which is bringing us to the area. I don't think it would be the end of the world if we lived outside the county but it would be a real boon to find the right place inside it for the employers.... on the other front - urgh - money, I think we are looking at a max of $650k and we need space for a home office plus 3 beds. i don't care about owning land, as long as there is somewhere for a chair in the sun. i'd just really like to be able to walk somewhere, not always have to get in the car to get a coffee or see another human being. that's why i like old town. i'm not at all nervous of diversity in the schools, only that since my kids are angry about the move anyway they are going to need good teachers who are on top of them and keep them striving for good results and good chances beyond high school.
someone suggested central Reston? also someone said look at the bit of Alexandria just south of the beltway?
thanks again everyone. how nice to already have people chiming in!

Old 05-27-2009, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leighland View Post
Something called the "Mosaic District" is going in where the theatres were. Have no idea what that is but it sounds nice and theres nice retail right there, even tho' access is currently bad..Even with the bad economy, they need to wait for all that construction on Lee Hwy to finish up somewhat
Latest news is that there will be a hiatus on completing the roads due to lack of funds.

With regards to shopping, there's not much "nice retail" around there.

Old 05-27-2009, 03:27 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,899,273 times
arlington or alexandria would be my vote

Old 05-27-2009, 03:30 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,893,133 times
Quote:
Latest news is that there will be a hiatus on completing the roads due to lack of funds.

With regards to shopping, there's not much "nice retail" around there.
The Sea Pearl Restaurant plus the bakery/Coldstone, Chipolte right there are nice. There's some other stuff there but its impossible to get to.

As for the construction, I pass there twice day and there are crews working there on all for corners of 29 and Gallows and on the Beltway bridge over rt29 Monday thru Friday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia