Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 08:49 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times

Advertisements

OK, this place needs a name. I'd suggest Virginia Beach, but that's already being used!

How about Lovers Beach--then we could have an advertising campaign saying "Virginia is for Lovers...Beach." Or maybe we should just name it Normie's Beach, since she started the thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2009, 10:36 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,934,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromVAtoNC View Post
OK, this place needs a name. I'd suggest Virginia Beach, but that's already being used!

How about Lovers Beach--then we could have an advertising campaign saying "Virginia is for Lovers...Beach." Or maybe we should just name it Normie's Beach, since she started the thread.
Normie's Beach? LOL, but then the only customers would be people from city-data. We're going to need a lot more customers than that!

Life's A Beach might be a catchy name. And then you could get free advertising from all the people who wear t-shirts with that slogan.

Of course, the powers that be in Loudoun County might be more likely to approve the project if the name was something like Old Dominion Beach. Or if it was named after a politician. I refuse to name it Harry Byrd Beach, however--the man's already got a highway, and besides if I'm putting on sticky tanning lotion, the last image I want in my head is of a Hairy Bird.

Old 05-26-2009, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Or if it was named after a politician. I refuse to name it Harry Byrd Beach, however--the man's already got a highway, and besides if I'm putting on sticky tanning lotion, the last image I want in my head is of a Hairy Bird.
So you're giving the bird to the thought of naming it after Harry Byrd. I think you're right, though, they'll want it named after a politician. The only problem with that is you end up offending one party or the other. We'd have to name it after some politician who's so popular he appeals to both parties, if there is such a thing. Someone who represents Virginia politics in general.

Old 05-26-2009, 10:47 AM

1,250 posts, read 4,783,368 times
Quote:

Or maybe I have a high tolerance for kitsch--I'm too busy having fun to worry if someone else thinks it's "cheesey." I've noticed the people who sneer that this thing and that thing are too cheesey are also the same people who sneer that there's nothing to do and life is boring. I just write them off as whiners.
Haha, yeah I know exactly what you mean. I guess my main concern with coming across as too kitsch would be all of the HOAs and NIMBYs that would pop up in opposition to it.

Quote:
1. Build with top quality materials, and use a lot of natural materials. In other words, real palm trees, not stucco ones. Lots of garden beds and plants--both inside and outside the facility. Avoid stucco and plastic. Make the inside as vibrant and colorful as you wish, but keep the outside simple and plain. (No cartoons painted on the outside of the building, no garish colors).
Funny you mention stucco. When I envision "indoor beach" i immediately think of a giant coral pink stucco building with a tacky giant whale mural on the side. Awful right? LOL

Quote:
2. Architectural design should blend with other nearby buildings. If you really want to avoid looking kitschy, try to make it look more like a high quality sports facility.
Yeah, I agree thats a very good point. I think the "high quality sports facility" idea would really work well.

Quote:
Good point. That's down in Florida, right? There are already a lot of competing attractions in Florida, what would make yours stand out?
Haha, nope. The place I posted was in SW VA. Not really any competing attractions around for hours.

But..anyway..i love this thread! Hopefully there are several more like this thread and the other one to come!

Old 05-26-2009, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Someone who represents Virginia politics in general.
If you want to name it after someone who represents Virginia politics in general, then maybe it should be named Artie Fishel Beach.

Old 05-26-2009, 10:51 AM

Quote:
If you want to name it after someone who represents Virginia politics in general, then maybe it should be named Artie Fishel Beach.

ROTFLMAO! Descriptive, catchy... and describes politicians, to boot. But oh my, normie, that is a terrible pun!

Old 05-26-2009, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 540_804 View Post
Yeah, I agree thats a very good point. I think the "high quality sports facility" idea would really work well.
It would work well for you, since one of the buildings was previously a skating rink. You already have the sports facility design in place.

Quote:
Haha, nope. The place I posted was in SW VA. Not really any competing attractions around for hours.
Southwest Virginia? You mean like Roanoke? Hmmmm, might work if it was near one of the colleges. It's a plus that there isn't much competition, but another question is would the local population support it. It might be a good idea to find out why the skating rink failed. Have you tried to get investors yet?

Old 05-26-2009, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Haha, yeah I know exactly what you mean. I guess my main concern with coming across as too kitsch would be all of the HOAs and NIMBYs that would pop up in opposition to it.
The county will probably ask you to make a few concessions and contribute a few major bits of infrastructure such as a road interchange. HOAs aren't really a problem here, but maybe things are different where you live. Most of the ones around here are huge, so, you only have to deal with 1 or 2. NIMBYs come and go, especially when the project is in Eastern Loudoun. The trick is to watch the economy (easier to get a project approved when the a county needs money and you have plenty of it) Also, you need to get a feel for the politicians. If you think you're going to get opposition, just wait until the next election--the parties swing back and forth.

If you're going to start anything in life, you have to expect a lot of opposition. And often, it'll be opposition that doesn't seem to make sense. People have hidden agends, and all that. You have to grow a thick skin and let all that opposition roll off your back. But I like to look on the positive side--all the opposition you'll face ensures you have a thorough business plan.

Old 05-26-2009, 11:29 AM

One thing I like about having an artificial beach is NO JELLYFISH! I got stung by one once, and my face went like this: It's not a good experience, let me tell you. Also, no sand flies at an indoor beach. And no stinky sea weed rotting in the sun.

Old 05-26-2009, 01:33 PM

17,349 posts, read 16,485,995 times
You could name it The Loudoun Ocean Park or simply Loudoun Beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia