Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 01:06 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,948,929 times

Advertisements

Here's another fantasy project for you Urban Design buffs. The one thing NOVA doesn't have is a beach. Where would you put one, and why did you choose that location?

Some other questions to tickle the imagination:
1. Would you charge admission?
2. Would this be an indoor facility so people could go to the beach during the winter?
3. Would it be strictly a beach, or would you include satellite businesses to bring in money (cafes and such).
4. How big would this beach be, and would you build a wave machine?
5. What would be some of the challenges in building a beach?
6. Do you think a business like this would beprofitable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2009, 01:15 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,086,150 times
Now this is something I'd really like to see happen! Isn't there a golf course in Ashburn that went bankrupt? That would be where I'd put it. A nice big space that's already surrounded by a neighborhood full of kids. And already has plenty of parking.

Old 05-25-2009, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
1. Would you charge admission?
Absolutely, and double during the winter. Maybe triple in February.
Quote:
2. Would this be an indoor facility so people could go to the beach during the winter?
If it was indoors, it would have to be huge. But I like the idea of an indoor beach. That makes it a lot more than just a lake with sand poured around the edge. You could add the scents of coconut tanning lotion and the sound of waves and seagulls. You could have a giant wave machine. You could project images on the wall from famous beaches--and advertise this, too. People who miss California could see a virtual recreation of their favorite beach on Saturday mornings. Then, Saturday afternoon the images are from the Riviera. And Sunday is one Hawaiian beach after another.
Quote:
3. Would it be strictly a beach, or would you include satellite businesses to bring in money (cafes and such).
Satellite businesses bring in the $$$. I would have restaurants, fudge shops, brew pubs, souvenirs, all the things you find at a beach. The shops would be open free to the public, but would have no access to the beach. (You could look out windows or from a deck and see people playing on the beach, however.)
Quote:
4. How big would this beach be, and would you build a wave machine?
Huge. And you gotta have a wave machine, then you can rent boogie boards.
Quote:
5. What would be some of the challenges in building a beach?
Nobody would ever want to leave.
Quote:
6. Do you think a business like this would beprofitable?
I think it would be outrageously profitable. Wish I had some spare cash to start something like this. Wonder how much a thing like this would cost, anyway?

Old 05-25-2009, 02:14 PM

2,136 posts, read 5,311,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromVAtoNC View Post
Now this is something I'd really like to see happen! Isn't there a golf course in Ashburn that went bankrupt? That would be where I'd put it. A nice big space that's already surrounded by a neighborhood full of kids. And already has plenty of parking.
If you mean The Presidential on Waxpool, it is now part of the Dulles 28 Centre and recently opened as the 1757 Club.

Old 05-25-2009, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmurphy View Post
If you mean The Presidential on Waxpool, it is now part of the Dulles 28 Centre and recently opened as the 1757 Club.
Good to hear the Presidential got a buyer. So we need a different site... it's just as well. A golf course is a big thing, probably much bigger than we'd need. Can you imagine how big the building would need to be if our beach covered the whole course?

Instead of a golf course, I think a better bet for creating a virtual reality beach would be to use an abandoned big box store. A big one, of course, not a former Circuit City. Those big box structures already have awesome ductwork and the frameworks are usually pretty solid. Or maybe even combine two empty big box stores, there's got to be a shopping plaza somewhere in NOVA with two empty big box stores next to each other. Anyone know of a few?

I like the idea of running different beach videos on the wall. And you need to have videos of the sunrise and sunset, too. Let people have the experience of time passing, of spending the whole day at the beach. As well as the beach at night, because wouldn't it be great to have bonfires and night time parties there! Maybe they could even let people camp there overnight.

Last edited by normie; 05-25-2009 at 05:42 PM..

Old 05-25-2009, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Satellite businesses bring in the $$$. I would have restaurants, fudge shops, brew pubs, souvenirs, all the things you find at a beach. The shops would be open free to the public, but would have no access to the beach. (You could look out windows or from a deck and see people playing on the beach, however.)
I like this idea--and why stop at a ring of satellite businesses around the beach? Why not make it a walkway ringing the beach with stores on both sides, that would make the pedestrian mall fans happy. The stores on the inner ring would be "beachy" since they'd have windows overlooking the beach. The outer ring of stores could just be regular stores.

This would allow another "beach tradition" to be incorporated--rollerblading. And since it's a beach, girls in bikinis rollerblading!

Hey, why not? You could build a roller blading strand that goes around the beach, then maybe through a tunnel and out onto the pedestrian mall. They'd have a special rollerblading track down the middle of the mall so that the skaters could enjoy gliding around the beach and past all the stores. If you made it interesting enough I bet people would pay to skate it.

Old 05-25-2009, 05:50 PM

17,381 posts, read 16,524,581 times
Quote:
I like this idea--and why stop at a ring of satellite businesses around the beach? Why not make it a walkway ringing the beach with stores on both sides, that would make the pedestrian mall fans happy. The stores on the inner ring would be "beachy" since they'd have windows overlooking the beach. The outer ring of stores could just be regular stores.

This would allow another "beach tradition" to be incorporated--rollerblading. And since it's a beach, girls in bikinis rollerblading!

Hey, why not? You could build a roller blading strand that goes around the beach, then maybe through a tunnel and out onto the pedestrian mall. They'd have a special rollerblading track down the middle of the mall so that the skaters could enjoy gliding around the beach and past all the stores. If you made it interesting enough I bet people would pay to skate it.
By "walkway" you mean boardwalk, right? It would have to have a boardwalk with arcades and such .

Old 05-25-2009, 05:56 PM

Quote:

If the roller blading track runs around the beach, through a tunnel, and then around the public shopping area, what will prevent people from bringing their own skates, jumping on the track for free where it runs in front of the stores, and then getting free access to the beach through the tunnel?

Old 05-25-2009, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
By "walkway" you mean boardwalk, right? It would have to have a boardwalk with arcades and such .
Love it! And maybe a bumper car ride that's designed to resemble the beltway.

Old 05-25-2009, 06:09 PM

Quote:
If the roller blading track runs around the beach, through a tunnel, and then around the public shopping area, what will prevent people from bringing their own skates, jumping on the track for free where it runs in front of the stores, and then getting free access to the beach through the tunnel?
You'd need a wall, I guess. Glass walls, of course, since you want to be able to see the skaters (especially if they're going to be wearing bathing suits!) The roller blade track could run down the middle of the boardwalk, separated from the people shopping by walls on both sides of the track. And a door at the entrance to the tunnel so you can keep people from jumping the wall and getting in after hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia